Switch to full style
How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Stubborn Mauser barrel

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey guys, need some help here.

A member here asked me to marry a Mauser K98 barrel to receiver, they are supposedly a matched set that was at one time together.

I used my Wheeler barrel vise along with a borrowed Wheeler action wrench, the barrel would not go all the way on, I tried three times, being careful not to apply too much force. After every try I checked the treads and the mating surfaces, I couldn't find any anomalies.

After the third try I could not get them apart.
I crushed my barrel bushings (oak) and now need new ones.

Anyone got an idea of why these will not screw together (or come apart)? Anyone with the tools want to give it a shot?

Re: Stubborn Mauser barrel

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 am

I recently built some oak barrel bushing blanks and would be happy to send you a new set. Do you have a preferred diameter hole? As far as the threads there could be a taper to the threads on the barrel or in the receiver due to tool flex when the parts were machined. Less likely on a barrel but possible on the receiver depending on the method used. Is the barrel new? Measuring the receiver could be tough without the proper tool.

Re: Stubborn Mauser barrel

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:34 am

As far as I understand the Mauser set-up, the barrel butts up against a collar inside the receiver, and should just kiss the collar upon proper clocking and torque. Is it possible that you are hitting the collar before full thread engagement?

I find this thread handy, and the author is open to being contacted. My apologies if you must register first: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 8671075902
Post a reply