Switch to full style
https://www.facebook.com/SprIndustriesLlc/
Post a reply

Scope Mounting

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 pm

The purpose of this post is to inform shooters of the importance of mounting your scope properly. I get asked many questions in regards to magnification, reticles, and parallax adjustments, but not many questions regarding scope mounting. When spending $1,000-$1,500 on a top of the line scope an improperly mounted scope will not perform properly. If the scope is not aligned to the bore axis you will not get the proper corresponding adjustments from your turrets.
When I mount a scope the first thing I do is run a tap down the threads in the receiver to ensure there is no debris and to make sure I have threads all the way thru. Also, if the scope base is supplied with slotted screws I throw those away and use torx head screws. The next process is mounting an alignment fixture into the rings.

Using good rings will get you close, but to get an exact fit, the rings must be lapped. Spending an extra 20-30 minutes to lap the rings will only increase the life and performance of your optic.

Next the scope needs to be aligned to the rifle. I use a fixture that allows me to align the optical axis to the bore axis. Once the level is set I then align the reticle to a plumb bob to get the reticle square.

The last operation is using a bore sight to get the scope on paper.
If you spend the money on an optic and rings don't forget to complete the procedure by having the scope installed properly.
Last edited by tpryder on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scope Mounting

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Tom, that is a fantastic post!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

One note ... I think your "before" and "after" photos of the lapping operation are reversed...?

Re: Scope Mounting

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Great write up, Tom.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Wow. I would have never thought there was such a science to it. I have always just slapped her on and away I went.... Maybe that's one of my issues.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 pm

MadPick wrote:Tom, that is a fantastic post!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

One note ... I think your "before" and "after" photos of the lapping operation are reversed...?

Good eye!
Post a reply