Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Self-defense v. self-destruction 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Minnesota case shows difference between self-defense and self-destruction

A Minnesota man has been charged with second-degree murder in a case that is raising eyebrows and blood pressure here in the Evergreen State – as reader comments in Tuesday morning’s Seattle Times reveal – because he fatally shot two unarmed teenage burglars in what does not appear to be a case of self-defense.

http://www.examiner.com/article/minneso ... b_articles

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
“The law,” he said, “doesn’t permit you to execute somebody once a threat is gone.”

Exactly! You stop shooting once the threat is no longer a threat. This guys continued execution, then delayed contact with the PD put him into jail cell.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Quote:
When she was visible from the waist down, Smith shot her as well with the rifle until it jammed, and then used the handgun to shoot her several times in the chest after he reportedly heard her elicit a laugh. He dragged her body and placed it next to Brady’s in his basement workshop, then placed the muzzle of the revolver under her chin and put one more round upward into her brain.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is definitely a difference between Rage and Rational Thought.

The more and more people are victimized by the scum of society the greater the fear that they will resort to rage rather than rational thought. Every day we read accounts of some piece of dog doo being arrested for the 20th time, while out on bail for a previous charge, often while waiting sentencing for another conviction. That's the problem today. The Justice System has become a dysfunctional joke when it comes to dealing with simple "property crime".

This story should be a warning to the less intelligent that go out an buy guns for defense of themselves or their property. It should also be a loud message to those in the Justice System that is supposed to be dealing with criminals in a manner that keeps them from repeating their crimes.

If they don't expect more stories like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first shots are justifiable. The "finishing" shots were overboard. This is the kind of thing that gives us a bad name. Also though, it is a clear warning to would-be burglars as Dave mentioned. Crime statistics show that violent crimes, assault, rape, murder, robbery are going down, however in recent years the property offenses such as burglary have gone up. Even with the added guns out there legally purchased for home protection and more states developing and implementing concealed carry laws, these laws seem to have little effect on property crime.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I can sympathise with the shooter a little ( saved society from a lifetime financial burden of these two)

His actions were overboard no doubt.

I can also see the potential for a diminished capacity on the defenses part.Older guy used to taking care of business like in the old west. Mental problems etc.

I think he did society a favor but its gonna cost him.

Idiots will still be idiots but I hope the message is getting louder and clearer. " play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General Nonsense wrote:
Even with the added guns out there legally purchased for home protection and more states developing and implementing concealed carry laws, these laws seem to have little effect on property crime.

That's because "property crime" is no longer really a crime like it used to be. Steal a man's horse or rustle his cattle in the "Old West" and Justice was certain.

Today those caught stealing property are merely slapped on the wrist. No prison time until the 20th or 30th offense. Property crime in the city I live in is handled by a phone call from a police officer. In some cities it's all handled through a reporting website. The burglars can leave fingerprints, DNA, pieces of their clothing, even a wallet with their ID in it and the Police don't seem to be interested in responding --------------That is unless there's a body on the premises that's assuming ambient temperature.

No wonder people want to shoot, even considering the consequences.

Maybe someday Juries will step in with "nullification" and send a message to Prosecutors and Police to do their job or let the Citizens "take out the trash".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Minnesota case ignites Northwest debate on home, self-defense

Pacific Northwest gun owners and activists are engaged in a very active discussion about home protection and self-defense in the wake of a double-slaying in Minnesota that was reported yesterday, with sentiments clearly against the dead teen burglars.

http://www.examiner.com/article/minneso ... b_articles

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]