Switch to full style
Post a reply

First time shooters event for my friends

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm

For disclaimer, this isn't technically a WaGuns event, y'all would be welcome to come, but I was thinking of it more for friends of mine. That said..

I've been considering offering a "First time shooters" trip to my friends. Not a full on Instructors Course, I don't have the classes and certifications for that. This would be a friendly trip to the woods, just showing people which end to hold, and generally trying to show people who might not have gotten the chance otherwise to see that guns aren't that scary, and can in fact be a lot of fun.

I have absolutely NO date in mind, haven't even made my offer yet. Location would probably be one of the more secluded FS-70 spots, as it's closest to me and to most of the people I think would be interested.

My question: Is there any legality issue here? I wouldn't be charging them for the instruction, though I would be asking for money to cover ammo costs (as we all know, that shit ain't cheap these days). Also, is there any advice people can give me? I've given people "Firearms 101" before, but it's always been on a one-on-one basis, and this has the possibility to be a moderately large group.

I'll update/bump this thread with date if/when it comes together.
Last edited by Captain90s on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: First time shooters event for my friends

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

No legal issues.

Have fun shooting.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Where ever you pick, make sure it's an area you can control and is not busy. Nothing is harder than giving people safety instructions when another group is drinking beer and bump firing their AK next to you.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm

I know some secluded places up FS-70, and I'm definitely not going to set up shop anywhere with other people for this.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 am

When I teach people, I find it pretty stressful to teach more than two at a time. It gets stressful for me, and it gets boring for the students because they wind up waiting so long as I work with each person.

So if you're going with a group, my recommendation is to take some other experienced people with you as well, so you can keep everyone engaged.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:01 pm

If these are going to be really new shooters, as in never shot a gun before. Then I would recommend having at least 1 instructor for every 2-3 students. With really new shooters you will see and have to watch for for finger and muzzle issues.

At Norpoint in our Handgun 101 class, we see that all the time. We have a max of 12 students and only 6 at a time shooting. We have 2, sometimes 3 instructors for the class.

If you want another experianced instructor, I'll help if I have the day free.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Since I only have 3 longarms and one sidearm, my plan was to only have one person with a gun at a time, that way I can focus on each individual shooter as they take their turn. Were I to have another person there to help, then we could alter the plan.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Captain90s wrote:...just showing people which end to hold, and generally trying to show people who might not have gotten the chance otherwise to see that guns aren't that scary, and can in fact be a lot of fun..

for shooters this new,*when starting out I *highly* recommend only one round in the gun at a time... especially if there is a likelihood that your focus might get taken away from the shooter by another newb.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Where the hell is FS-70? That the one outside of Enumclaw?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 am

ArmedBear wrote:Where the hell is FS-70? That the one outside of Enumclaw?

Yes. Greenwaterish.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 am

quantsuff wrote:
Captain90s wrote:...just showing people which end to hold, and generally trying to show people who might not have gotten the chance otherwise to see that guns aren't that scary, and can in fact be a lot of fun..

for shooters this new,*when starting out I *highly* recommend only one round in the gun at a time... especially if there is a likelihood that your focus might get taken away from the shooter by another newb.

That was my plan. Get them used to loading a single round in the magazine, insert said magazine, cock and shoot. After a couple hours, up them to two or three at a time. Remember, I'm planning on only having ONE active shooter at a time. Was going to limit each of them to 50 rounds or so, otherwise I'll go broke hahaha.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:51 am

Seems like quite a ways to travel for a "maybe" spot and the inherent dangers associated with the area. You should butter up ArmedBear. I hear he has a private range that is new shooter friendly. :bigsmile:

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 am

I don't think of it as a "maybe" spot. There are 10-15 different shooting pits up there, now that the snow level is rising. I'm pretty confident I can find an empty one. People keep assuming that the main pit is the only one on FS-70. It's not.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:54 am

A thousand pardons. Certainly wasn't bagging on your scouting skills. Offer retracted.
Post a reply