Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Do shell holders wear out? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a set of .45 LC dies & shell holder. I'm using a hand press and when depriming, the shell holder keeps losing it's grip and I have to figure out how to get the shell out of the die, which is a pain in the ass. The dies look like they're in great shape, but the shell holder looks like it's seen better days. I would think that brass would have very little effect on a steel holder, but maybe over time it wears?

Also, how far out should the depriming pin protrude from the die? Because it sticks a bit past the end of the die, I can't easily slide the shell holder into the tool while sliding it onto the base of the shell. And I can't retract it any further (see below).

Also, shouldn't I be able to back the pin all the way out? It only has about a half inch of travel, total. It won't go through either way, it binds in both directions. I've got the die with the latest stuck shell sitting with PB Blaster soaking the pin to see if I can free it up.

Sun May 24, 2015 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm confused. Do you have pictures?

Sun May 24, 2015 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not yet, I'll take some & post them.

Sun May 24, 2015 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

45 Colt cases have a smallish rim that can cause retention issues with some brands of shell holders. Might be best to try a different shell holder. If I understand correctly, sounds like there may be a problem with the threads on the decapping pin. It should be adjustable and removable.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the shell holder (see attachment at bottom), you can see what looks to me like a crescent shaped piece that's popped off on the far side. There's similar wear, but smaller, on the near side. The furrow across the landing (?) is my doing, I tapped the shell holder onto the brass and into the shell holder holder on the press at the same time, which also managed to break the tip off of the deprimer (not really surprising). You can tip a shell into the holder pretty easily versus sliding it in sideways. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be. I looked up this particular shell holder, and you can see it has no scallops taken out of it, so while the die set I traded for looks basically brand new, I think the shell holder is more like "well used".

Anyone got a .45LC / .454 Casuall shell holder laying around they's like to sell me?

Next question is, how do I get the depriming pin removed from the die & replaced? I'm assuming I can buy a new pin from RCBS? My thought is to find another nut to put on the backend of the pin to lock the other one in place, and once well oiled up (it's already sat in PB Blaster for more than a day), back it out with wrenches. I'm worried about the threads in the die, but I guess I can chase them afterward?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, your shell holder is toast. If your decapping pin assembly doesn't have a screw slot at the top for adjustment (broken off?), grind/file flats on it and use a small wrench to turn it.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Mon May 25, 2015 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it's got a slot on the top to turn it out, but it will only go so far, then stop in both directions. Judging buy a photo of what I think is the same decapping pin online, I think it has to be turned down to drive it out toward the tip of the pin as there are no threads on the pin after a certain distance.

I'm leaning toward just buying a set of carbide dies. Midway is offering a birthday discount of about 10% on a set, so I might just order that and probably a new decapping pin so I can sell this set intact (with a caveat to the buyer that the holder is shot).

Mon May 25, 2015 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

My first thought is that there seems to be an alignment issue. It seems either your shell holder isn't seated in to the ram all the way because of dirt, grime or powder in the recess that holds the shell holder. Or that nasty little shell you show has the same issue, crap inside the groove where you slide the case in. Take a small screw driver and scrap both of those recesses on the ram and the shell holder and see if that helps. Good luck!

Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried to run over to Wade's (I know, I know) at lunch to pick up a replacement .45LC shell holder thinking that they carried reloading gear. One of the guys asked me if he could help me, and I asked if they had the shell holder. He said yes, but looked a bit confused when I just said .45 Long Colt, so he brought me over to the display for speed loaders...

Not exactly what I was looking for. To be fair I suppose, you do use a speed loader to "reload" your revolver, and I'd imagine Wade's gets lots & lots of uninformed gun folks through the door.

DGS is in the same parking lot (and Wade's is walking distance), but neither of the carries reloading gear.

On the plus side, I managed to get the decapping pin out of the die and was able to file down the broken piece and I think it'll remain serviceable for the time being.

Just need to get that shell holder.

Tue May 26, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than "flutz" around with the old rusted die and "clapped out" shell holder, just buy a new set from Lee. $32 at Midway and Lee sets come with a new shell holder unlike the other brands.

Lee dies work just fine and the price above is for a "Carbide" die set. No need to lube cases.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 27, 2015 7:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did exactly that last night, picked up the Lee carbide 4-die set. I also bought a new shell holder for the old die set so I can sell it as a complete set.

Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 am
Profile WWW

I've only been using mine for 35 years or so but I have yet to wear one out with regular use. Abuse a lot of it would probably help some.

Thu May 28, 2015 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]