Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Starter Kit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
When I started reloading, Sagewa (Wes) taught me and hundreds of others to reload. He teaches on a Lee Turret and I've knocked out 300 rounds an hour with him on a Lee Turret.
I started with a Dillon but you're talking better than twice the money! Yes, I can do 400 an hour with my 550 but you can buy allot of powder, primers and bullets with the money you'll save on the Lee Turret

Harbor Freight calipers work fine. I'm using my vernier calipers I bought 40 years ago when I worked in the shop at Boeing
I agree with the beam scale. I'm old school

I bought my Dillon from Marcus :thumbsup2:

Vernier calipers? Holy fuck I want to see a picture of that.
Are you sure there not dial calipers?

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with Soly and MadPick. For pistol, get a progressive press from the get go. You can always process a single cartridge at a time through the stations till you get a good feel for what's going on.

I also have a Hornady LnL AP and am pretty happy with it. It is finicky with primer seating and takes some practice to acquire a 'feel' for when a primer is seating properly or not. The other recommendation I would make is to get a RCBS Powder Cop die. This can avoid squib charges and double charges, both dangerous conditions.

Trust me. I had to beat a lodged bullet out of the barrel of a brand new Smith PC627 because I inadvertently loaded a primed round with no powder charge. The primer was enough to push the bullet into the forcing cone. Very dangerous indeed if you launch another round after that. A properly adjusted powder cop die basically prevents this condition from ever happening.

A Dillon 550 or 650 would be the other logical choice but definitely more expensive. I don't have any experience with Dillon presses but there are several forum members that own them and they do appear in the Reloading classifieds fairly often.

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my take on the matter. For beginner's, I don't believe in starting on a progressive. Start with a single stage, learn how to reload, don't rely on a machine to just churn out ammo. Learn the fundamentals, pay attention to each action, each round. In addition to learning the fundamentals on a single stage, you won't have so much invested in it that if you decide reloading is not for you, you won't be out much (in comparison). If you absolutely have to go progressive right out of the gate, buy a Dillon 550. They hold their value, are fairly simplistic and if you have an oops moment, they are very easy to back up on. Marcus or SageWa are the best two guys for reloading help. Equipment, components and advice. You won't go wrong with either. Good luck, be safe

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TwizDD wrote:
Here's my take on the matter. For beginner's, I don't believe in starting on a progressive. Start with a single stage, learn how to reload, don't rely on a machine to just churn out ammo. Learn the fundamentals, pay attention to each action, each round. In addition to learning the fundamentals on a single stage, you won't have so much invested in it that if you decide reloading is not for you, you won't be out much (in comparison). If you absolutely have to go progressive right out of the gate, buy a Dillon 550. They hold their value, are fairly simplistic and if you have an oops moment, they are very easy to back up on. Marcus or SageWa are the best two guys for reloading help. Equipment, components and advice. You won't go wrong with either. Good luck, be safe

This is the way I went years ago. I started with a RCBS Rockchucker for both pistol and rifle for the basic. Then for Pistol, I graduated to a Dillon 550. For my precision rifle shooting ( Not 223/5.56 ), I continue to use the Rockchucker. Balance Scale.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2