Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Tumbler vs Ultrasonic 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this thread has been a very good study for me. I have seen mention of tumbling with SS media, but was never around anybody that really used it. In doing some research turns out I used to have a drum tumbler, but pitched it during a move 6 years ago.
I just ordered the Thumbler B from Brownells for $230 that included the SS media. Got free shipping with a fathers day code ( FAU ).

I just traded for a Bench-Source automatic annealing machine, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXzARG5Qz0 ) so at least part of the time when I am annealing, won't have to worry about drying. (Of course like any well equipped re-loader I do have a wood fired pizza oven in my patio that holds heat for almost 2 days, so I can slide in a pizza or a toasted cheese sandwich when I slide those wet cases in there), and we do have lots of wood here in WA.

Since you do have to use some case lube, on rifle cases, to size them, I will continue to use the vibrator with a the lizard bedding media that works well, is cheap, and cleans the sizing wax off.

Thanks for all the great info..

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well my Thubler b showed up from Brownells (got free shipping).

Put in about 125 300 Win Mag cases with a bit of dish soap and a bit of Lemi-shine. Ran for 3 hours,

I AM IMPRESSED. :mulletslayer: I have never had my brass look so good.

Need to figure out the best way to recapture all the SS pins. (Rag got 99%). Spend some time in the wash sink in my laundry room picking up pins that had washed over the rag as I poured out the contents of the tumbler. Also I shook and rolled the cases around, but found out when I was putting them in another box some still had pins inside.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old wanderer wrote:
Need to figure out the best way to recapture all the SS pins. (Rag got 99%). Spend some time in the wash sink in my laundry room picking up pins that had washed over the rag as I poured out the contents of the tumbler. Also I shook and rolled the cases around, but found out when I was putting them in another box some still had pins inside.

get one of the rcbs rotary media separator and use water in the bin and spin the brass around.. the pins will drop to the bottom and separate from the brass...
surface tension makes the pins stick to the brass inside.. but when immersed in water, the surface tension is gone and the shape of the pins makes them settle to the bottom fast.

if you happen to be local to me, I have a spare one I'm selling for 30$ that is unused.

also a good magnet from harbor freight is essential in picking up the small pieces that will fall on the floor eventually or in the sink.

I have a floor magnet sweeper I just run around the garage after I tumble and it usually picks up a dozen or so pins.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:51 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have been holding off on the SS media tumbler setup, but I am ready to plunk down finally.

Regarding the Thumler B - How much brass can we put in a single load? The data says 15 pounds, but I'm assuming that is for rocks.

How many 50 BMG or 30-06 cases can be accommodated in a single load?

I recall some threads about gentlemen making their own wet tumblers for SS media... Not sure I want to tackle a project with my schedule right now, but would like to review their projects anyway. I couldn't find the threads by searching... Any links? Maybe I saw it somewhere else on the interweb.

How many pounds of SS media is a decent supply? It might not wear out, but it seems that there will always be some losses.

Thanks for any advice.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
I recall some threads about gentlemen making their own wet tumblers for SS media... Not sure I want to tackle a project with my schedule right now, but would like to review their projects anyway. I couldn't find the threads by searching... Any links? Maybe I saw it somewhere else on the interweb.

Use Google to search, not the WaGuns search function. For example, I tried this Google search:

Code:
tumbler pvc site:waguns.org

and found a few good threads.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and use both. The ultrasonic seems get the insides of the cases a little shinier... But, the ultrasonic Lyman I got has a short timer that has to be reset very often. It also requires a few cycles, occasional brass agitation and frequent solution changing. After you have to rinse and then dry the cases. Basic media tumbler for the average joe is the way to go hands down.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3