Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hodgon Benchmark Powder for the .223 Remingon 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mash man wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
H-335 is the equivalent of the WC44, which is .mil pulldown. We use both to load 55 and 62 with CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers for our AR's. Doug sells the WC44 in large jugs.

small pistol primer? realy?

Whoops.. Meant rifle... No more posting before Coffee..

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
mash man wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
H-335 is the equivalent of the WC44, which is .mil pulldown. We use both to load 55 and 62 with CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers for our AR's. Doug sells the WC44 in large jugs.

small pistol primer? realy?

Whoops.. Meant rifle... No more posting before Coffee..

Actually that's not as big a "boo boo" as one might think. Yes, the Small Rifle Primer is slightly larger than the small pistol primer but the dimension difference is in the "height", not diameter which is .175" for both rifle and pistol. In most cases a small pistol primer will fit tightly but will be slightly more recessed when used in a rifle case using the small rifle primer. Not a big amount as the dimension difference is due to different cup thicknesses.

Here's where it gets even more interesting. A magnum small pistol primer has a thicker cup in order to retain extra pressure and keep from blowing out through the firing pin strike crater. That's also the case for the small rifle primer.

It's best to use the right primer but as long as the "substitute" in the rifle case was a "magnum" small pistol, it will be less of a problem than one might think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:24 pm

i use aa2230 in my bolt and get .45 cof an inch group with 5 shots from a factory savage. it will be a smaller group but the 5th shot pulled some from barrel heat. aa2230 is made specifically for the 223.
i just bought a 8 pound keg of aa2230 for about 125.00 if my memory serves me right from powder valley. powder valley has great powder prices but you need to order 32 to 48 pounds of powder to make it worth your while due to shipping costs.

mash man, every gun is differant to what powder it likes. alot will shoot the same powder but primer,amount of powder and o.a.l. may vary too

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2