Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 308 reloaders.. I need your opinions. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeking opinions on what bullet style is most popular with 308 reloaders.
The picture shows pulled bullets in .308
the two bullets on the left are M118's 175 grain , the others are from left to right are what I am contemplating buying/re-selling (they aren't for my personal use) ... 168 grain HP and 168 grain Balistic Tip.
Between the two bullet styles on the right , HP or BT , which is most popular among the reloaders?

Thanks,
Doug

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you going for on the load? Distance shooting? Hunting? Plinking? Anti-personnel? That would help. If you want the "popular" bullets... the 168gr HPBT is the standard and has been since the 1960's.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Drew. Yes, going for popular.

"the 168gr HPBT is the standard and has been since the 1960's."

That statement should be enough for me to make a decision... lol.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll also add that the most common plinking rounds are the 147gr FMJBT. Those are common in the manufactured rounds and also the common weight in mil-surp ammo. But, for reloading, the 168gr HPBT is the standard.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, there are more than just the 168 gr that are "standard" for the .308. It depends on what you're using it for. Yes, 168 is popular and I buy them by the thousands, brand new. Some load lots of 155 gr bullets especially those competing in Palma Matches. My rifle is specifically made for the heavier 173gr military bullet but shoots the nuts off gnats with a 175 gr.

If you need a bullet to be supersonic at long ranges the lighter bullets will do a better job. If you want to knock something down inside of 800 yards, a 175 gr bullet is great. Anything heavier than 180gr in a .308 is impractical as the case is small and it's hard to get it up to any speed.

The best performing bullets in my rifle with a 11.28:1 twist, 24" barrel are the Nosler Custom Competition HPBT's both 168 gr and 175 gr. The 168's can be bought for as little as 21 cents each in boxes of 1,000 (Powder Valley). I also have great results with Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tips as well as the Hornady A-Max 68 gr. I use the A-Max bullet to duplicate Hornady's LE Tactical Round and the Nosler 175 gr Custom Comp's to duplicate their Tactical "Barrier Round". Even though I'm duplicating their rounds I find that mine give me far smaller groups.

I've found that Varget works great for these bullets. Also use H-4895 when I "get bored".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]