Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Which priming system do you like best? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im not sure if its because im not used to i or because im doing something wrong but I seemed to not be able to get my lee auto prime to work with reliability.. sometimes I can do 5-15 rounds without a hitch and then boom nothing wants to seat properly..

so my question to you guys is..

What priming system do you like best?

Lee Auto Prime/XR/Ergo
RCBS Hand / Bench??

Im thinking of either going to the Lee Safety Prime system or something else but would like suggestions..

Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old school rcbs hand primer is hard to beat. Lee stuff sucks.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lee xr and it works ok. Kinda touchy but I have primed thousands of cases with it. Its an art form to get it to make it through 100 primers without some kind of issue. When cash allows I am going to try something else not sure what yet.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RCBS hand primer, or the Dillon. No hair there.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon May 05, 2014 8:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#1. Dillon 650 press, no tool head, just priming only with the shell feeder and the case feeder. Great for volume .223/.300BO/6.8SPC.

#2. RCBS hand primer. Slick, easy, foolproof, cheaper, but slower.

Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so just primed about 200 38spcl brass on the lee without any complications at all..

wonder why im having problems with 223

Mon May 05, 2014 12:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Dillon Square Deal B works great for me. Just load 'em up and forget about it. I don't have the sensor that indicates that I'm running out so I just refill the tube every 90 cases or thereabouts. I'm also currently loading 38 Special.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Mon May 05, 2014 12:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lee gives me fits with 223 it just flat does not work as good for 223 as it does for pistol rounds. I think its the height of the rifle primers.

Mon May 05, 2014 12:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the RCBS universal hand primer, I've probably run 6-10K through the one I have now.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can find a used RCBS their great little hand primers. RCBS changer the plastic tray, I much prefer the older round tray. I've had trouble getting upside down primers to flip in a newer tray. When I started reloading I was primping on the rockchucker press, I don't think there's a slower way to do it than that.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Dillon 550B and an RCBS hand primer. I prefer the RCBS but neither like 5.56 I have Wes run the once fired brass through his Dillon 1050 but even still the primer pockets can be too tight. Ya can't bang them out, ya gotta wiggle them around and use a little finesse. The RCBS allows me to sit inside spending quality time with the wife :bigsmile: as I prime. I just don't like the way the Dillon feels as it primes... I always wondered if one was going to go off (never did).

Mon May 05, 2014 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lee hand primer sucks, broke 2 of them. Second one only lasted 200 primings before snapping the lever in half.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did about 200 rds on the lee with around 30 GOOOFFups said hell with it and sent it back.

Went with old school rcbs hand primer and have done several thousand with no hickups.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

seems MCGT is gonna lemme test out his stuff to see if i wanna go with the RCBS or whatever... Just did another 100 rounds of 223 with a couple of hickups. the problem ive spotted is at the correct angle with the old school first series im getting problems with double feeds of the primers.. I think they corrected that with the new stuff.

Mon May 05, 2014 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only ever have used a old lee hand primer, never a problem, does bug my hand after a while, also change it up and sometimes do rifle on the single stage..

Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next