Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 LAser-cast vs hard cast vs .... Using lead bullets to reload 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Been through most all manufacturers and like the plating thickness on the Extremme bullets, loaded up to jacketed specs has yet to peel the plating on a long gun.

How do you know?

If the plating comes off, do you see little holes on the target from the fragments?

It's a serious question . . . I've wondered this.

My big issue with the plated bullets is that all too often the plating is so thin that it actually wrinkles when you seat them in the case. You'll see a "muffin top" of plating material at the case mouth.

I suppose they're OK if you like cheap bullets but I converted to Montana Gold many years ago and haven't looked back. I don't shoot anything SLOW ENOUGH to use cast bullets at all.

This is an issue, but the xtreme plating is thicker than others. I have loaded thousands of 38 and 44 without doing any case mouth expansion and have only pealed one bullet. It is nice because I get to skip a step in my process.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 am

Xtreme's are goood bullets. They offer a "Heavy Plate" version for some of their rounds.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
MadPick wrote:
But if the plating is coming off when the bullet is hitting high velocity (i.e., when it's leaving the barrel), then the plating couldn't come back to hit you, could it?

I think it's more likely powder flakes hitting you.

This is very possible, it is some pretty old H110. I had not thought if that. Hopefully I can do a capture and find out.

When I was flashing my hand from powder I did an experiment, wrapped a paper towel around the gun and pulled the trigger. Was interesting to see where the gasses hit the towel.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Lead bullets:
For standard, I like mastercastbullets.com and Missouri Bullets--excellent accuracy and great prices (though they have gone up)
For specialty, my first choice is Penn Bullets--excellent bullets and they have many styles for many calibers and can size as needed.
For some of what you want, look for "cowboy action" bullets.
Unless you are going over about 1400fps, you don't need an 18-22BHN alloy.
Be sure the lead bullets are at least 0.001" larger than the ACTUAL groove diameter of your barrel and they should be a snug fit in the cylinder's throats.
I really like Precision Bullets and their molykote, but they only make "standard" caliber bullets. They used to make more styles, but they got so busy that they cut down on the various bullets.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Lead bullets:
For standard, I like mastercastbullets.com and Missouri Bullets--excellent accuracy and great prices (though they have gone up)
For specialty, my first choice is Penn Bullets--excellent bullets and they have many styles for many calibers and can size as needed.
Be sure the lead bullets are at least 0.001" larger than the ACTUAL groove diameter of your barrel and they should be a snug fit in the cylinder's throats.
I really like Precision Bullets and their molykote, but they only make "standard" caliber bullets. They used to make more styles, but they got so busy that they cut down on the various bullets.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track!
To some of the others who replied. Thanks for the suggestions. Quite a few of you either don't realize what a 32 Special is. I have seen this tendancy before with people seeing 32 and automatically assuming 32 ACP or it variations. those bullets all run in the .311-.313 range. The 32 Win Special (and the 32-40) are .321 - .324 bullets (In other words very close to the 8mm) 32-40 usually run towards the upper end equal to the 8mm, 32 spl towards the bottom. FMJ bullets are .321 for the 32 spl. Lead should be .322 or .323 according to what info I have gotten elsewhere.

I have seen various notes about the BHN factor. Seems like most of the ones out there are in the 16-18 range for the .321-.323 bullets. I seen it suggested that since I running casual I should be looking for around 13-14 if possible. Clarifications?

Thanks again noylj, I'll check out mastercast and may take a look at Penn, so far Missouri and Oregon bullet seem to be the main choices.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Been through most all manufacturers and like the plating thickness on the Extremme bullets, loaded up to jacketed specs has yet to peel the plating on a long gun.

How do you know?

If the plating comes off, do you see little holes on the target from the fragments?

It's a serious question . . . I've wondered this.

in my personal experience with plated bullets velocity is not your friend. The 32 special is a low velocity round and should do just fine with Extremes.

When I shoot my 10mm I like a 180gr. moving @ 1250-1300fps. the raineers would actually leave a ragged whole on the target, and at 200yds would often miss the target completely. Not willing to believe it was me, I reloaded with my carry ammo and back to tearing up the bullseye. Back to the target, those bullets left some ugly rip/tear marks that went through the cardboard behind it with the same shape. I tried again at 50yds with not as dramatic results but the groups I shot with the lighter plated bullets were typically three times bigger than the ones I shot with Montana Golds, same powder load, same press....

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's interesting, especially since I'll soon be loading 10mm. Thanks, Dan.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:04 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Col_Temp wrote:
Quote:
Lead bullets:

Thanks for getting the thread back on track!
To some of the others who replied. Thanks for the suggestions. Quite a few of you either don't realize what a 32 Special is. I have seen this tendancy before with people seeing 32 and automatically assuming 32 ACP or it variations. those bullets all run in the .311-.313 range. The 32 Win Special (and the 32-40) are .321 - .324 bullets (In other words very close to the 8mm) 32-40 usually run towards the upper end equal to the 8mm, 32 spl towards the bottom. FMJ bullets are .321 for the 32 spl. Lead should be .322 or .323 according to what info I have gotten elsewhere.

Col>> For what its worth, Castboolits.com is a great resource. If you want to see the basics in action, we can get together and throw a few boolits for fun.
I have a .318" mould that throws .321" slugs. We might need some gas checks, but otherwise, we can probably give you an idea of what you are up against in loading your RIFLE! :snipersmilie:

I have seen various notes about the BHN factor. Seems like most of the ones out there are in the 16-18 range for the .321-.323 bullets. I seen it suggested that since I running casual I should be looking for around 13-14 if possible. Clarifications?

Thanks again noylj, I'll check out mastercast and may take a look at Penn, so far Missouri and Oregon bullet seem to be the main choices.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks 3584ELK,
I'll let you know. Need to finish getting things set up first and do some regular reloading. But will keep you in mind for the future!
Thanks again,

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2