Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Show us the fruits of your casting session! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm.

Mosin lead.

Veerrrrrry interestink.

Do they do a standard .311 dia of any sort for all of us ordinary conventional Mosin whores ?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

RENCORP- oh yes, you can get cast bullet moulds in virtually any diameter. I have learned that you should first "slug" your rifle's barrel, as cast bullets work best when they are cast or sized .001" over groove diameter. So, if your Mosin truly measures .311" across the grooves, a standard .311 mould from Lyman should work well. Most moulds cast bullets .001-.002" oversize to allow for sizing. Slugging the barrel is not too difficult, but will require a soft lead bullet slightly oversize and two rods that will fit down the barrel- one short and one long.

If you need some advice on the specific procedure, I can point you to some online advice, or outline the steps here.

MADPICK- I forgot to add one item about that particular design. It is called a "bore rider", so the long nose is meant to ride just inside the lands, not engraved by the rifling as are most.

Getting a rifle to shoot cast bullets accurately is an art that I am still discovering through a lot of humble experience!

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

3584ELK wrote:
MADPICK- I forgot to add one item about that particular design. It is called a "bore rider", so the long nose is meant to ride just inside the lands, not engraved by the rifling as are most.

Interesting, thank you.

I assume that you use a gas check on a bullet like that . . . ?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:54 am

Yessir...if you look at the heel of the bullet, you can see the stepped area for a crimp on gas check. A caster should use a gas check when attempting to drive
a slug past 1500 fps.

Some folks make their own gas checks! :pray:

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spent some time Saturday casting, should keep me busy for a while ....

400 pcs Lyman 452460 for .45
600 pcs Lee 401-175-TC for 10mm

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Nice pile o' bullets. :thumbsup2:

I'm pretty ignorant about casting, so help me with a question . . . what's that coppery color that I can see on some of the bullets? Is it actually there, and if so what is it? Or is it just a reflection from something that's off camera?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's just a reflection. Next step is to run them through a sizer-lubricator so they are ready to load.

Adds time to the whole process, but it's rewarding to make the bullets as well as do the reloading.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done the lubamatic and I use it for .44 mags with gas checks through a rifle. Anything slower, like a .45 ACP/Colt or even 1200 Fps .357 158's I like powder coating. Less mess and fuss.

Nice job on the pile of bullets.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dogfish wrote:
... Anything slower, like a .45 ACP/Colt or even 1200 Fps .357 158's I like powder coating. Less mess and fuss. ...

I have been wondering about the proper applications for the powder coating since your last write up on that. I've done it twice, only used it in .44special and 38special plinker rounds.

What happens at >1200fps? Does the PC get burnt off the base and cause leading? Any empirical testing done?
Thanks for that writeup and pics. It was a better way than we used.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are welcome.

I use the PC on my 155 gr .311 bullets (sized down to .309-.310" after PC) that I put through my .300 BO at 17-1,800 FPS and I don't see any issues or evidence of leading. Lots of folks have done testing on Castboolits.com as well as .300blktalk.com, so I tried it based on their experiments. I recovered a few rounds from logs where I shot them on end and the bullets while somewhat deformed still had the PC on it. The bullet base PC material was intact, albeit a little sooty, and the PC was intact on the rifling grooves engraved on the bullet. I'll do another test and post some pics when I get a chance in the next few days. One thing though is that with PC bullets you need to bell the case mouth slightly. I use a .30 Luger powder die in my Dillon 650 when loading .300 BO. You just need a very tiny bell.

Some folks have stated that they have PC'd .309/.310" 110's and shot them at 2,200 FPS without issue, but I am keeping my speeds lower than 1,800 just to be safe. 1,200 FPS 158gr .357 loads were just an example, not a limit. My .44 mag rifle loads approach my 1,800 fps limit, so I switch to gas-checked and lubed cast bullets for that gun.

With a good PC job you will be able to crush the bullet in a vise and have the PC stay on the bullet without cracking.

Another similar process is Hi-Tek Coatings which is a similar process but generally requires two coats, plus you use a catalyst for bonding. Produces a dry film like PC.

Last edited by dogfish on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After some internet research and YouTube videos the powder coating looks worth trying

Time to find a toaster oven........

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

downhiller wrote:
After some internet research and YouTube videos the powder coating looks worth trying

Time to find a toaster oven........

Walmart, GoodWill, or Craigslist for toaster ovens. Best with a timer. Buy a 2'x2' square of 0.25" hardware cloth and you'll be able to make a few baskets. If you need additional info on the process, let me know.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm

I may have cast a bullet or two.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 23, 2015 6:59 am

Sun May 24, 2015 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No shit there, Sherlock. Pouring ingots for self only, or also for sale ? Wheel weights already alloyed, or pure lead, or both ?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next