Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Reloader 

VantageReloading wrote:
A couple of off the cuff suggestions in no particular order:

* buy a stuck case remover. Hornady, RCBS, Dillon - whatever. Just get one, have a vice, and be prepared to use it.
* buy another set of decapping pins, decapping rod, and expander for your die set. A stuck case doesn't come often, but when it does, its like pissing in the last bowl of Cherios that you have. These parts are inexpensive and typically get damaged when extracting a case
* get a bullet puller too - when starting off, it is nice to be able to undo mistakes.
* use an analog scale with a heavy base and a powder trickler when doing load development - The inexpensive digital ones have electronics in them that are not up to the task of repeatable precision. the balance beam works great.
*max accuracy and max velocity *usually* dont intersect at the same powder charge - there's always a bit of a compromise.
* As has been said, take your time
* clean up your work station every time you leave it. that includes removing powder from powder measures and returning tools back to their boxes. clean benches make for accurate loads.

Good luck with the new hobby! Reloading is a Blast ;)

I would add, take a while to read the instructions that come with your die set. Set them up as they instruct.
Buy a good sizing lube, I use Imperial, use it correctly and you never have a stuck case. When you start adding calibers to your reloading gear, keep the shell holder you want to use with that die set. If you have to switch between, such as 38 special and 357 or 30-06 and 243 win, keep note of which holder you used so you can grab the same one again. The slight variations in shell holder will affect your seating depth. Another thing, buy a data log book, and use it. Record everything. I'm amazed sometimes at the little reminder notes I leave myself that have saved me a ton of time and head scratching. Best of luck to you sir, be safe and ask plenty of questions.

Sun May 31, 2015 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2