Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Break over point: buy factory or reload? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far I've only reloaded 30-30 & .45 LC. I'm reasonably positive I can reload both for less than I can purchase factory ammunition. However, I'm tempted to reload for .45 ACP and/or .223, both of which I tend to use up faster than the first two by a long shot.

At what point is it cheaper (discounting your own time spent doing it) to reload vs purchase factory?

One of you guys must have broken it down?

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry not a reloader...

But I know enough to say...
Hands down reloading for 45 and .223 for high end (self defense or accuracy loads) is by far cheaper than buying.

For plinking it's all about quantities... given when you buy in "bulk" your cost decrease for components.

But if you are just reloading for plinking and you enjoy reloading... then who cares... (meaning don't factor the cost - it's more about you enjoying reloading that makes it worthwhile for you).

*Please note I am not advocating you use reloads for self defense.
What I am saying is reloading to commercial self defense ammo (HP, etc) can save you quite a bit as you practice with these loads.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well . . . it all depends on how much you spend on your setup. Yes, you can buy components cheaper than you can buy loaded ammo; the question is how much you spend on your press, trimmer, etc. etc.

I know you've gone with super-cheap equipment thus far. Personally, I'm a proponent of spending the necessary money to get a good progressive press, a quality trimmer, etc. If you're going to load in any kind of quantity, you'll hate life if you use cheap equipment.

Ultimately, maybe the answer is, "it's not about the money." If reloading interests you (as it does me), then you'll enjoy the process and you won't worry about the money you spend.

If reloading does not interest you and you are going to find it a chore to reload . . . then screw it, just buy cheap ammo and enjoy the extra time you'll have. :bigsmile:

Remember that once you get into .223, you'll need to swage primer pockets and trim. It's a lot more work than loading .45.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
If reloading does not interest you and you are going to find it a chore to reload . . . then screw it,

:wavey:
Hey you talking about me again... :bigsmile:

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You already have the basic reloading gear for the 30-30 and 45LC, so the equipment investment should be small.

I reload 9 mm, 40sw and 45 ACP., among others.

Let's use the 45 ACP as the example. Bullet : 230 Xtreme plated @ .11 each in 1k quantities. Powder: .04 ( but you can do better in bulk). Primer - .03. . So, with reclaimed brass, it's .18 each reload. Can you get range quality 45 ACP for 9.00 per box of 50? Not around here...

Pull the handle, pull the trigger, enjoy!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bxc53 wrote:
Can you get range quality 45 ACP for 9.00 per box of 50?

How about $14 (well you do have to pay for shipping)
Quote:
SELLIER & BELLOT .45 ACP 230GR FMJ 50RDS

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/4488/

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive done some rough penciling in my head and since i prefer quality, mechanically advanced stuff ( im not doing the base handloading pieces) it may take longer than my shooting career to make up differences versus factory stuff...not to mention the time commitment

Not that i have a lot of money but normally even less time is available and this reloading stuff is time consuming as well

now if your an anal OCD distance shooter or go thru a couple thousand rounds a weekend AND you have nothing else to do you will push past the breakeven point or gain perfect loads in short order

It doesnt pencil out for me at all, but im an occasional shooter with no need for custom loads. I may have recompensed fellow members here for the use of some of thier reloading equipment for some custom stuff that they were kind enough to help me with and i appreciate that. However i cant justify getting into reloading myself

For just standard plinking rounds and counting just components (NOT time) break even point is out there but probably in the high thousands to tens of thousands of rounds. I may get bored tomorrow at work and do some math but ill bet those numbers will fall within the window. Im gonna assume a $1000 reload set up to start. I realize this is more than is really needed but is also less than some real nice stuff and would be where i would consider a fair, efficient reload set up should start

Last edited by toys in the toybox on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

toys in the toybox wrote:
. . . this reloading stuff is time consuming as well

Hell yeah.

I spent almost all day yesterday processing brass and reloading.

I spent another 2-3 hours tonight doing more of the same.

If that's a good way to spend your time, then reloading is the way to go. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A big part of the reason to reload is enjoying the process - if you don't like tinkering or DIY stuff you may not enjoy reloading. For me it is my place to unwind.

As Bxc53 said, the incremental investment to add calibers is nominal. I reload 45 ACP for about $8.50 per box including the tax paid on components (no cost for brass because I save what I shoot and collect what others don't want). Cheapest I see that same box in the stores is $21 plus tax - $23.

The break even point is contingent on how much you would otherwise buy from the store. At half to one third the cost of factory, it does not take long. My initial investment for pistol reloading was about $600. Over the years... I might have spent just a bit more on "this and that." :bigsmile:

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not get in to reloading to save money but to shoot more and better rounds for my money. If you shoot a lot it doesn't take to long to break even. when done correctly the hand loaded ammo has always been more accurate for me. Not to mention there us a certain pride in loading your own and then shooting well with them. loading nines it will take longer to hit your break point than with say 454 cassul's.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breakdown .223
CCI 41 primers $30K (I bought thousands when I found them on sale)
H335 $155 8 pounds (good for 2K rounds)
55 gr Hornadys $465 for 6K or $77.5 per K

Using your own brass this figures out to $185 per thousand

Breakdown 45acp
LPP $25 for S&B, Magtech (I buy qty on sale)
3/4 pound AA#2 so $19 for powder
$120 for Xtreme 230 gr rn

Using your own brass, 164 per K

Breakdown 9mm
LPP $25 for S&B, Magtech (I buy qty on sale)
3/4 of a pound of Ramshot Silhouette (I got a bunch for 20 per pound) so $15
$79 for Xtreme 115 gr rn

Using your own brass $119 per K

I have pistol brass that has been reloaded 15 times? Rifle brass ya cant reload as much and some have crimped primers so I let Sagewa run my .223 brass through his dillon 1050 when I shoot factory ammo (gotta keep them separate)
SO, save your brass!!!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Reloading doesn't save you money.

Reloading lets you shoot more for the same money.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Breakdown .223

Using your own brass this figures out to $185 per thousand

Breakdown 45acp

Using your own brass, 164 per K

Breakdown 9mm

Using your own brass $119 per K

So good breakdown...

So what is the cost for commercial plinking ammo: (these are rough figures)
.223 $240 per thousand
45ACP $320 per thousand
9mm $210 per thousand

So when you compare plinking... it's all about quantities... buying in bulk brings the cost down. But when you compare reloading/commerical loads like hollow point or specialty bullets... then you'll see a clear cost savings. (self defense ammo fro $1.00+ - you can make for 0.25-$0.40).

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 am

One thing to also consider is even "plinking" ammo can be better than factory plinking ammo. I know both my dad and I have shot better groups with my plinking reloads than with generic factory ammo in our ar's. Just better quality control (powder charges mostly). With pistols I'm not a good enough shot to really tell a difference lol.

But that is something else to consider. Reloaded plinking ammo usually does just as well as "mid tier" factory ammo.

For match ammo the savings are pretty good too. My 308 is just shy of 50 cents a round. Compare that to federal gold metal match and I'm saving at least 50 cents a round.

The odd ball calibers are where one really saves money. I reload for 458 Socom and 45-70. Both of which seem to be 2 bucks a shot (if not more). I can reload them for 50 cents or so.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great information, thanks guys. Looks like for at least the time being, the bang for the buck is for the 30-30 & .45LC.

And Steve, your point is well taken, I've started buying "real" reloading components, both of the dies I'm using now are Lee carbide ones, and I'm considering selling the Lee Classic Kits I bought, as well as the steel .45 LC dies I've got. However, I've been able to load perfectly usable ammunition with them, well with the exception of being able to crimp the 30-30, so there's nothing wrong with them.

I do like the fiddly parts of reloading, I find it sort of contemplative, and the upper arm motion gives me a tiny bit of a work out. I only made 70 rounds on Sunday (20 30-30 & 50 .45LC), but felt a sense of accomplishment.

I don't think of myself as a prepper, but I like knowing that if I have the components, I am fully capable of making ammunition to go hunting or defend me & mine should it come down to that. I only have one 30-30 rifle, but we have both a pistol & rifle that'll shoot the .45LC and that seems important somehow.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next