Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Eye strain 101 

Yikes! Is there anything more tedious than sorting head stamps on 9mm? My eyes aren't what the used to be. Damn those small head stamps‼️ :facepalm2:

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same with my my eyes, which makes me think my eyesight is to the point where sorting head stamps probably doesn't make a difference.....

There are several options for magnifying your work, ranging from an around the neck magnifier to magnifying lamps. I have an around the neck version which is handy at times for small work.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would you sort them? I just reload and shoot them. F sorting.

Divided we fall.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've started having the same problem when sorting brass.

A couple of years ago I bought one of those "visor" magnifiers from Harbor Freight. The basic magnification works great for sorting brass and general tasks, and the higher magnifications come in handy once in a while too.

Then a couple of weeks ago I broke down and bought some of the cheap magnifier reading glasses. The first time I used them for brass sorting, I was working with a pile of what I thought was mostly 9mm. I grabbed my 9mm brass container, sat down in front of the brass and put the glasses on. As soon as I looked at the pile of brass I realized that I had screwed up, and it was all .40 brass! So off I went to get the .40 container....

Bottom line, it was all 9mm. Not a single .40. However, the magnifying reading glasses fooled me, and it just took a little time to re-adjust my brain.

Anyhow, the glasses worked great. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:01 am

OhShoot! wrote:

Truly the reason is vanity. But I'm also a bullet caster, and some of the thicker brass like WCC and a couple others cause me problems. My camp carbine prefers the bullets sized at .357. When you add the oversized bullet diameter to thick case walls, you can see where I would run into problems chambering the round. But again, I confess it's my OCD that forces me to burn daylight sorting cases. I'd be doing this if I shot jacketed too. Damn my eyes and the brain that runs the show‼️

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year I had to start wearing reading glasses.
I do machine work for a living so seeing small details is most of my job
I now have safety glasses with bifocals built in them.
I also have a pair at home. I'm now more safe than ever. And I can see too !

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:33 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I recently bought a pair of these odd-looking adjustables (tradename: AdLens) because
1) my eyesight changes from day to day, and
2) the amount of 'help' I need in one eye isn't what I need in the other.

Let me brag on 'em - they work! Each lens is separately adjustable from -6D to +3D diopters.

I found the lowest price on eBay, a couple bucks lower than Amazon, and a bunch lower than through the manufacturer. YMMV.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steel13 wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:

Truly the reason is vanity. But I'm also a bullet caster, and some of the thicker brass like WCC and a couple others cause me problems. My camp carbine prefers the bullets sized at .357. When you add the oversized bullet diameter to thick case walls, you can see where I would run into problems chambering the round. But again, I confess it's my OCD that forces me to burn daylight sorting cases. I'd be doing this if I shot jacketed too. Damn my eyes and the brain that runs the show‼️

Ok, my first reaction is why? But you explained that part well. So if you must do this, I have a system that has worked well for me when I processed 10,000 9mm shells and wanted them as perfect as possible for re-sale.
A "Frankford Arsenel Perfect Fit Tray #2 " makes the sorting job easier. The tray will not allow a 40 shell to fit and a 380 shell sits noticeably low. I would put the shells in the tray primer side up and look for military (WCC) headstamps to make sure they are crimp free. There was no way I was going to sort for headstamp. Range brass is to varied and that would drive me nuts. However, if your primary reason is to cull out WCC and a few others than this method works well. The key is the right tray so that you can turn the tray into the light just the right way and then easily scan the tray for the odd balls. Your eyes quickly get adjusted to scanning quickly over the common headstamps and just picking out what you want to see. I also wear dollar store cheaters so I am doing this without good vision, just a tray suited to the job and good lighting.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
I recently bought a pair of these odd-looking adjustables (tradename: AdLens) because
1) my eyesight changes from day to day, and
2) the amount of 'help' I need in one eye isn't what I need in the other.

Let me brag on 'em - they work! Each lens is separately adjustable from -6D to +3D diopters.

I found the lowest price on eBay, a couple bucks lower than Amazon, and a bunch lower than through the manufacturer. YMMV.

Wow! I'm jumping on line and checking those out !
Thanks for the info

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steel13 wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:

I understand. I'm just not picky with mine because they dissapear so damn fast down those hungry bang tubes of mine. :alcapone:

Divided we fall.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I have to read something small like that, I use my phone as a magnifying glass. This didn't used to be the case, I could just focus in that small with no problems, but as my eyes have aged, I can't focus that close any more. I am able to still resolve case stamps although it's a bit of a strain, but trying to read a stamp on an electronic chip last week, there was no way, but the phone let me do so pretty easily. I don't think it's a very viable idea for sorting cases, but it works well in a pinch.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:38 am
Profile WWW

Hello, I have vision problems too when reloading and sorting brass of different calibers. I usually lump all the 38/357 each in separate piles. The .223 and 5.56x45 NATO in separate then check each head stamp with a magnifiying lens and bright light. This works good. I have plenty of time to do this at night and I don't really reload a lot of cartridges at any given time. I've also bought scopes for my long rifles and don't shoot my pistols beyond 20yds. Beyond that I can't see the target, so I just focus on the front sight. However, I've seen older guys with glasses using scopes on their rifles and shooting at 100yd and getting great groups. My doctor says shooting is a young person sport, however I disagree. Seen too older gents that shoot great and are a valuable resource. Best of luck.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I load a few different calibers and was getting setup to load 9mm. Did about fifty and decided I would rather spend my precious time loading for something that cost more to buy. I was around 5 bucks a box to load, I can buy it for 9. Not worth the 4 bucks. I did run into a similar problem while loading 32 ACP. Some odd headstamp had such thin walls I can push the bullet in with my finger. That was a pain in the ass sorting those out

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

So here's OUR sign:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
So here's OUR sign:

I'd sign up but I'm not Blonde

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next