Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Starter Kit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am looking for a starter kit to get into reloading. Currently I will only be reloading 10mm /.40 caliber rounds. :handload:

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It all depends on your budget. What are you looking to spend?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always say to beginning reloaders that the very first $20 they should spend is on a manual. Buy Lyman's 49th and give that a quick read. Lots of reloaders started there. Once you've read that come back with questions and we'll help lots.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check with Marcus, he may have some presses.
I'm not a big believer in "kits" because you get some stuff you don't need and some stuff you need is left out.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lee Turret press is a great, inexpensive press to start with.
Powder measure...
Bullet trays
Reloading books are a must, Lee Modern Reloader 2nd Edition is about the most complete I've seen.
Hand Primer - I use the RCBS even though my Dillon 550B Progressive press can so it.
Calipers - a Must
Scale - a Must
You'll need a tumbler and media to clean brass.
There's a good start for ya!

Or you could just get this:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... Press-Kit-

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Would this setup about cover it?

$360 (before tax or shipping ) from the site you posted..

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dougja wrote:
Check with Marcus, he may have some presses.
I'm not a big believer in "kits" because you get some stuff you don't need and some stuff you need is left out.

Marcus would be a great place to start. He usually has used stuff and can hook you up with the basics. Great guy too.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be happy to offer quotations for reloading equipment if you PM me what you would like. I get my stuff from a wholesaler and will include tax, pick up at my home in University Place (credit cards accepted). There is just too many options to throw out prices so zeroing in on the make and model helps reduce the work.
As for calipers, a good set is nice to have but Harbor Freight digital calipers have worked for me and they are $10 to $15 on sale. I trust them almost as much as my Dillon set.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:24 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Recommendation - if you do pistol only, go with a progressive press. You will thank me later. 6 seconds per round on my Dillon 650. 1 minute per round or more on my Lee single stage press. Dillon equipment, especially their powder measure, is amazing.

http://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/Powd ... edux2.aspx

Anti-recommendation - don't buy Lee kits and Lee progressive presses. Lee single stage presses and dies are great, their small tools - cutters, chamferers, funnels, etc - are OK, as is the powder measure - but their scale is absolutely atrocious.

Another anti-recommendation. Don't start with an electronic scale. Get RCBS 505 balance instead. Electronics fail, physics does not. When you are inexperienced, you may not notice when electronics starts to fail.

This is not for pistol, but a lot of components are the same: http://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/SoYo ... ading.aspx

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll stand with Lee products for economy and function. But I am posting because I really want to defend the Lee Safety Scale. I've used a Lee scale for years. Currently I have one Lee scale, a Dillon beam scale, a Dillon electronic scale and a Frankfort electronic scale.
Since I don't have much going on today , I decided to drop a load on each scale. I shared the same powder drop to each of the four scales.
The results...btw, I was dropping a charge of Bullseye powder.
The Lee scale was first... 4.6 grains
then the Dillon beam scale 4.7 grains
then the Dillon D-Terminator (electronic) 4.6 grains
and finally the Frankfort (electronic) 4.6 grains.

On a side note, I also wouldn't recommend an electronic scale as a primary scale. I would recommend the Lee if you are on a budget. My day to day scale is the Dillon beam scale, just happens to be the one weighing .1 grain heavy. Maybe it's spot on , maybe not, but the +/- .1 grain will not make a difference to my loads.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started reloading, Sagewa (Wes) taught me and hundreds of others to reload. He teaches on a Lee Turret and I've knocked out 300 rounds an hour with him on a Lee Turret.
I started with a Dillon but you're talking better than twice the money! Yes, I can do 400 an hour with my 550 but you can buy allot of powder, primers and bullets with the money you'll save on the Lee Turret

Harbor Freight calipers work fine. I'm using my vernier calipers I bought 40 years ago when I worked in the shop at Boeing
I agree with the beam scale. I'm old school

I bought my Dillon from Marcus :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I own a Hornady LNL (progressive) and a Lee Classic Turret press. I simply can't imagine churning out 9mm rounds with the turret press . . . there is absolutely no doubt that I would go with either a Hornady or a Dillon progressive press if I were getting set up for pistol reloading.

My Lee turret is good for what I use it for (some rifle loading).

I've never used anything but an electronic scale. I haven't regretted that decision.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started reloading with a Lee press/powder measure/scale. They served me well for a few years, then some aluminum parts on the press started to break. I replaced the press and scale with an RCBS Rock Chucker and one of their scales. I bought a Redding powder measure.
I still only use the single stage Rock Chucker for all my reloading. If you want a progressive set up, its going to cost you more than $200.

There are Lee Pro 1000 progressive kits on Amazon for about $200, and then you would need additional dies, scale, powder measure, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Han ... V3QER2ZXM2

Here is a starter RCBS kit on eBay for about half retail. You would also need a powder measure, dies, and some kind of priming tool. I do recommend the Lee carbide dies.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-PARTNER-PR ... 35ea7da01a
http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Presses-a ... ge/Partner™-Reloading-Kit.aspx

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a basic Dillon 550B. No extras and $440.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... /1/RL_550B

It is a great machine but pricy. Even used people want close to full retail for them :blackcloud1:

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:38 pm

If you want to paw various presses, we have a setup with Dillong 550B, 650, and Lee Classic Cast @ Precise Shooter, which we let customers touch.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next