Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Annealing Machines/Equipment 

Use pretty much what everyone else is using, electric drill and propane torch. Just turn the lights down and watch the color. It's slower than a machine and I'll probably upgrade at some point but for 50 shells it doesn't take that long.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is the $1,000 AMP machine, or the $450 Annie heater. Both are pretty neat devices if you are really anal about it. They are induction heaters which I prefer to open flame. I always have some difficulty with the Tempilaq running or turning black.

I think I can build an induction heater for about $30 with of parts - I may do just that. The key is to cycle it on and off precisely, which is not all that difficult.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:01 pm

rodell wrote:
There is the $1,000 AMP machine, or the $450 Annie heater. Both are pretty neat devices if you are really anal about it. They are induction heaters which I prefer to open flame. I always have some difficulty with the Tempilaq running or turning black.

I think I can build an induction heater for about $30 with of parts - I may do just that. The key is to cycle it on and off precisely, which is not all that difficult.

Also manage the waste heat appropriately. The feedback I've heard on most induction machines is that they're limited on run time by excessive waste heat, and need to shut down to cool. I would think an appropriately sized sink and fans would be enough to manage it.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SixPointEight wrote:
rodell wrote:

Also manage the waste heat appropriately. The feedback I've heard on most induction machines is that they're limited on run time by excessive waste heat, and need to shut down to cool. I would think an appropriately sized sink and fans would be enough to manage it.

The induction annealers actually need water cooling to be able to run extended periods of time.

As for the socket method, what's the difference between 4-6 seconds in the flame using a Giraud, Bench Source, or other machine or 4 to 6 seconds in the flame using a cordless drill and a socket. Once you get the rhythm down the total time is the same and your wallet is $400 to $500 heavier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm

deadshot2 wrote:

The induction annealers actually need water cooling to be able to run extended periods of time.

As for the socket method, what's the difference between 4-6 seconds in the flame using a Giraud, Bench Source, or other machine or 4 to 6 seconds in the flame using a cordless drill and a socket. Once you get the rhythm down the total time is the same and your wallet is $400 to $500 heavier.

Probably true. You could probably adapt a CPU cooler to do the job.

I've used a socket before, worked well enough. I have one of those tall propane bottles, stand it up, light the flame, brass in, drop into the stainless tumbler. Load another, repeat. I've thought about building one of the $100 annealers, but I probably don't have enough volume to upgrade from the socket

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wound up buying the Anneal-Rite system. Very simple and picked up the whole ball of wax including cartridge holder, propane bottle stands, offramp, shell holders, two torches, two propane bottles, Tempilaq 750/450/thinner bottles, as well as some steel wool and case polishing synthetic pads for a bit over $200. Simple system that should be relatively fast and still meet my needs.
https://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

I decided to pick up some Tempilaq 450 marker for the case heads of short cases such as 22 Hornet and 7mm BR. That way when the case mouths reach 750 or so I can also be sure that the case heads stayed below 450 thereby retaining their strength.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Wound up buying the Anneal-Rite system. Very simple and picked up the whole ball of wax including cartridge holder, propane bottle stands, offramp, shell holders, two torches, two propane bottles, Tempilaq 750/450/thinner bottles, as well as some steel wool and case polishing synthetic pads for a bit over $200. Simple system that should be relatively fast and still meet my needs.

I decided to pick up some Tempilaq 450 marker for the case heads of short cases such as 22 Hornet and 7mm BR. That way when the case mouths reach 750 or so I can also be sure that the case heads stayed below 450 thereby retaining their strength.

Quote:
Easily Anneal 500 - 600 Cases Per Hour

Not counting the hour or more it takes to paint the case necks with Tempilac :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:

Since many of the coils are tubes, it works well to run water through them with an aquarium pump in bucket. It seems like a lot of hassle, but that's also what I said before I tried wet tumbling and that's all I do now.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Ballistic Edge Model 400 bought 8yrs ago. Other than convenience it takes a lot less effort/focus than the drill and socket method. Because of this I tend to anneal every other firing since it is so simple and quick to use. I have a three torch model and can anneal .223Rem all the way up to 338LM. There are better machines out there but this was what was available at the time and the cost was half of what the others were. Pricey but it's worth the money because you cannot buy more time but you can buy what you need to save time.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:43 pm

deadshot2 wrote:

Not counting the hour or more it takes to paint the case necks with Tempilac :bigsmile:

Paint 5, average the time, let Tempilac rot on the shelf for an eternity

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

Quote:
Easily Anneal 500 - 600 Cases Per Hour

Good point Mike :bigsmile: I always take a BIG grain of salt on manufacturer's production estimates lol. That would work out to an estimated 6 cases per minute or 10 seconds each. Since I tend to be pretty slow anyways I never get anywhere near what manufacturer's estimate, particularly on progressive reloading machines and I expect now also on annealing equipment.

I suspect after using the Tempilaq to get 'calibrated' in terms of time spent in the flame that it will just be used for an occasional spot check. Certainly expecting I won't be painting every bloody case with it. Just enough to memorize the timing then an occasional check after that every once in awhile.

Will likely pick up a heat crayon as well and also try that method since it's nice to have more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
I have a Ballistic Edge Model 400 bought 8yrs ago. Other than convenience it takes a lot less effort/focus than the drill and socket method. Because of this I tend to anneal every other firing since it is so simple and quick to use. I have a three torch model and can anneal .223Rem all the way up to 338LM. There are better machines out there but this was what was available at the time and the cost was half of what the others were. Pricey but it's worth the money because you cannot buy more time but you can buy what you need to save time.

That's a sweet looking setup. Looks like a very nice piece of kit. I saw it online as well as the Ken Light unit and Bench source machines. All of them look really nice.

Had to take a pass on that kind of outlay though as money is limited with the amount of alimony I'm needing to pay out every month. Also for my needs I'm annealing fairly small volumes of brass for IHMSA matches and range practice sessions. Plus I've also recently been picking up equipment for neck turning, concentricity gauge, neck bushing dies, etc. so had to balance out the overall amount of money out the door.

Once the alimony goes down would like to pick up some rifles in a couple years and learn proper rifle shooting technique. Then I'll have a larger volume of brass to go through and might make more sense at that time to lay out more money for a machine like that.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2