SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

Re: Pemmican

Sun May 05, 2024 4:09 pm

I agree

This is why most recipes will call for dehydrated berries or nuts or something else. Even sugar and honey. All adding to the flavor for those that want it to taste better.

I see it as a utility food item. Meaning it allows me to stay on a high meat and fat diet at work and on travels away from home. A great survival food is right!

It’s not a preferred food in most cases. If one has choices this isn't typically high on the list. I am getting more used to it and developing a taste for them.

The taste:
Here's what I tell folks trying my homemade Pemmican.
The initial taste is more texture. As the bite hits your mouth - its more of a waxy texture and no taste. The tallow is quite bland. Don't really get any flavor from it. It does take about 10-20 seconds for your mouth to render the tallow and then you get a soft mellow taste of meat powder - like a really refined jerky and a bit of the salt.

My second batch since it's more heavy on the salt. You almost instantly taste the salt and then the waxy texture and then the meat course powder. It does have more texture in the sense of the meat is course and the additional salt makes it a bit crunchier? And it is way more salt forward from start to finish.

And, now when reading about history and what the explorers ate…
I can get me a benchmark on this food item and why most added something else to it.

But again, I am staying true and sticking to meat, fat and salt. Maybe changing out what kind of fat and playing with the ratio of the 3 ingredients.

Thanks to Madpick for an amazing lunch! I'm looking at just having some beef broth for dinner as I'm so full from lunch!
Great company as always and for letting me use all his cooking equipment, meat slicer, meat ginder (for pet food), vacuum sealer!

Tue May 07, 2024 7:02 am

Salt by weight

I would recommend you start at about 3-5g of choice of salt by weight per every 100g of meat.

If you want to be saltier than up to 9g per 100g of meat which is pretty salty and good for soups if you are planning to use the Pemmican as a base for soups for cooking it.

As a reminder mine is formulated for me and what I intend to use it everyday as a portable food item at work and outdoors. I have also adjusted to an increased salt diet so the higher salt is for my taste and needs.

If you have questions please PM and I will share whatever I know.

Wed May 15, 2024 11:08 am

If you are looking at starting a Keto or low carb diet!

Carnivore diet?

Yes! You definitely need to make Pemmican! What a difference from so many people starting this type of way of eating!

Eat meat!
Eat fat!
Eat salt!

Simple.

If you want to dive deeper?
Check out Histamine Intolerance, Solanine and Oxalate Poisoning of food to the body.

All leads to inflammation and the body to react causing long term damage.
Post a reply