Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 New to prepping  
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Brehmeyer wrote:
Do you guys have tactical vests also or am I just over thinking this B.O.B proses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snip--
As far as a BOB, I run a large Alice pack.

An Alice pack? I would rather use plastic grocery bags, than ever put one of those things in the same zip code that my back is in. :reaction:

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen I would like to get a plate carrier but yeahbi do mean one of those vest that's can hold extra mags for my rifle and pistol and it would be nice if it had a holster for the pistol on the chest also. Hkcavalier what's the difference between a B.O.B and a get home bag couldn't they both get you home in some kind of disaster?

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Brehmeyer wrote:
Do you guys have tactical vests also or am I just over thinking this B.O.B proses?

Snip--
As far as a BOB, I run a large Alice pack.

An Alice pack? I would rather use plastic grocery bags, than ever put one of those things in the same zip code that my back is in. :reaction:

It was cheap. No more or less comfortable to hump than the ruck that I carried during my time in. And it fits all the shit I need plus some. Did I mention cheap.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got to say, compared to the Malice Pack, the Alice is like wearing a pillow.

I went with a CFP 90.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brehmeyer wrote:
Soldier_Citizen I would like to get a plate carrier but yeahbi do mean one of those vest that's can hold extra mags for my rifle and pistol and it would be nice if it had a holster for the pistol on the chest also. Hkcavalier what's the difference between a B.O.B and a get home bag couldn't they both get you home in some kind of disaster?

A get home bag is intended to get you home and to your long term preps.

A BOB or "bug out bag" is intended to be something you grab in an emergency to get away from home with at least SOME survival gear. Of course, you need a place to go since one bag won't keep you alive forever.

The problem with the BOB concept is I can't see why I'd leave my home. If you have a retreat somewhere, and that's where all your good stuff is, by all means do the BOB thing.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That makes sence but if shtf an you stay at home you will have a lot if people trying to raid your place wouldn't you rather have a different place to get to that would make a better bunker for servivial? Bit saying your house wouldn't do a good job I've never seen it.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What all does a get home bag have in it? Is it any different from a bob like supplies wise?

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GHB, BOB not too different. Think about if you are at work, and something happens. You will probably want some more practical clothes/shoes to get you home. If already at home then you will have outdoor type clothing. My personal belief is that I will stay at my home that has all my emergency supplies. Also if there is an earthquake, or just about any other SHTF scenario the roads will be clogged more than Friday of a three day weekend anyway. So even with a piece of property in the mountains, the possibility of making it there even with my big 4X4 truck would be SLIM. My home will be ground zero. I will shelter in place. When I completely retire, I may move to a place in the mountains. Until then, my philosophy is to stay at home.

Last edited by golddigger14s on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the GHB and BOB as two different things.

I am not worried about tactical anything in a GHB. Quite the opposite. I want my GHB (and the gear in it) to blend in with the modern world.
I start every GHB with the same basic approach while keeping the Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared" in my head.

Start by assuming you just got out of the shower. Now make a note of everything you use, wear, need, for the rest of the day. Condense that down to essentials or things that can't be easily obtained. Those things go in a GHB.
Now if you are stranded somewhere, you have a change of clothes. You have a spare pair of glasses for when your break. You have extra meds if you need them. Etc...

Now add to that items that you need for long distance travel on foot.
Good shoes, extra socks, rain gear, water bottle, something to entertain you (book, cards).

Now think of what you take for granted and add that.
Cell phone charger. Toilet paper (cause you might just be in the woods when you have to go.)

Now pile it all up, look for triplicate use items. set them in a keep pile. Then duplicates. Ideally the first pile should now be empty with everything moved to the keep pile. If not, look at what's left over and figure out if you really need it.
Then start looking for redundant items. Do you have 4 knife like items? Do you really need 4 knife like items in a 48 hour period?

Ideally you will get to a point where you have about 20lbs of stuff that will fit in a small backpack.
That is your get home bag. it's job is to get you _home_ or to a place of civilization.

Before you ask...No. My GHB does not have a firearm. The Firearm is part of my EDC. The GHB does have extra mags and ammo though.

As a suggestion...get rid of the throwing stars. Just....do.
Unless you are super ninja, and can hit a 4" target at 50 feet (every time) with them. Then you can keep them.
Even then I would get rid of them.
If you are going to carry weapons, they should be seriously debilitating, or lethal.
Shuriken are meant to be distraction weapons. Just painful enough to allow a surprise attack.
We have high intensity tactical strobes, and 2 million SHU foam pepper sprays that will do the same thing, more accurately, and more effectively.

Not to mention that throwing stars are against the law to carry around where the others are not.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't know throwing stars were against the law good to know. When you say we have tactical strobes does that mean you sell them or you have them in your bag? And as for spray I have a couple canisters of wasp spray that will do some damage.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So would it be a good idea to have both a B.O.B and a GHB and with the GHB does that stay in the car at all times and is that bag supposed to be a 36hr bag or does it matter? Just trying to get a better set up thanks for the help guys

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brehmeyer wrote:
I didn't know throwing stars were against the law good to know. When you say we have tactical strobes does that mean you sell them or you have them in your bag? And as for spray I have a couple canisters of wasp spray that will do some damage.

In a true SHTF scenario the wasp spray would be better than nothing, but actual OC spray is better. Human spray is stronger than the bear version BTW. Also again if you use wasp spray it could get you in trouble also. (mainly civil liability)

BOB article:
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2014/07/bug-bag.html

"However, some have advised against adopting wasp spray as an alternative to pepper spray, primarily for two reasons:
The active ingredients in most wasp sprays are pyrethrins, compounds derived from a species of the chrysanthemum plant which penetrate the nervous systems of insects and kill them. Since wasp sprays are not formulated to be used directly on human beings, some critics maintain, they should not be relied upon as a form of non-lethal self-defense, as their safety and effectiveness for this purpose has not been sufficiently tested, and the toxic effects of pyrethrin could potentially be much more harmful or less effective than expected.
Many jurisdictions specifically prohibit the use of any self-defense sprays other than pepper spray. (Additionally, most spray insecticide containers include warnings stating that "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.")"

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/was ... zp8OhQ2.99

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brehmeyer wrote:
So would it be a good idea to have both a B.O.B and a GHB and with the GHB does that stay in the car at all times and is that bag supposed to be a 36hr bag or does it matter? Just trying to get a better set up thanks for the help guys

Your GHB will vary by how far you are from home at any time.

Figure you can make 10 miles a day in adverse conditions (if you're in shape you should be able to do double that or more, easy). If you work 30 miles from home you need 72 hours worth of stuff, and if you take a trip 150 miles from home you better have some good plan to carry around 2 weeks worth of food (this is not easy). I re-pack my GHBs in May or so with warm weather stuff, and then again in late September/October with cold weather gear.

When something really bad happens, you may be sitting on your couch next to all your preps, if so great. Or you might be out on a weekend trip to Mt. Rainier, 80 miles from home, and your vehicle won't start because a massive solar flare. Don't be the dead guy (or whole family) just because you prepared for the bare minimum.

A true BOB should have even more stuff, although again I don't see the point unless you just aren't going to stay and you have somewhere to go (family, friends, etc).

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10 ideas:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4