Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Apartment Preppers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what exactly are you planning on growing in your hanging gardens?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

most likely herbs high in vitamin c

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It goes without saying that there is a natural limit to your preps in an apartment. All the sprouts and windowsill herb boxes won't stretch out your preps much, those merely supplement your stores with fresh veggies so you don't die of vitamin deficiencies.

If you have six months worth of preps, and all of the folks in your complex have three days worth, you are going to have some visitors on day 4. By day 7-10, if there is no help from elsewhere they will be killing you to get to your food and water if you're not willing to share. Plenty of people will rationalize killing others if they're hungry enough and watching their family starve. Not trying to be a downer but it's true and it's been proven in even recent history in places like Argentina and Bosnia. Most Americans don't know true starvation and that intense sensation of hunger that sets in after just a few days without food will make a lot of people crazy.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if I lived in an apartment, and there was a major multi day/week event. That is the one case that I would consider bugging out.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talons wrote:

Good choice. A small herb garden should go a long ways to make the beans and rice more palatable. Most people seem to forget why Columbus was seeking a faster route to India. Spices. Very sought after luxury back then. Food for thought though, anything you grow will need to be watered, which will eat into your water supply. Potted plants tend to dry out faster than ground planted. Due to obvious difference in volume of moisture retaining soil.

Thay being said, the next time you are in the Lakehood area hit me up and I'll hook you up with some strawberry plants and some garlic chives to get you started. :cheers2:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ArmedBear wrote:
Talons wrote:

Good choice. A small herb garden should go a long ways to make the beans and rice more palatable. --snip--

Why do people keep mentioning beans, and rice? Do you eat beans, and rice every day now? Why would you want to eat it during an emergency? I plan on eating the same stuff I eat now for the most part. The only thing missing will be steaks on the grill.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
ArmedBear wrote:
Talons wrote:

Good choice. A small herb garden should go a long ways to make the beans and rice more palatable. --snip--

Why do people keep mentioning beans, and rice? Do you eat beans, and rice every day now? Why would you want to eat it during an emergency? I plan on eating the same stuff I eat now for the most part. The only thing missing will be steaks on the grill.

I do eat beans (chili) and rice quite often. Because I fucking like them. They are also very easy to store, being a dry good. Is it the only thing I have stocked up? Hell no. If they're not your thing more power to ya.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Why do people keep mentioning beans, and rice?

Why do people keep hating on beans and rice? Tasty, easy to store and cook, and go well with just about anything else you have to add. I don't see beans and rice as my only nutrition source, but certainly as a staple and a base.

Quote:
I plan on eating the same stuff I eat now for the most part.

Good luck making your Hungryman dinners without a microwave :thumbsup2:

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
ArmedBear wrote:
Talons wrote:

As a matter a fact. I do. Always have too. Go through one of the big basg of rice every other week. Rice is also part of the dogs diet we make enough that she gets rice when we get rice plus the left over rice is saved for her for the next day.

As for beans.... Some times too much. I can clear a room :bigsmile:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Why do people keep mentioning beans, and rice?

Why do people keep hating on beans and rice? Tasty, easy to store and cook, and go well with just about anything else you have to add. I don't see beans and rice as my only nutrition source, but certainly as a staple and a base.

Quote:
I plan on eating the same stuff I eat now for the most part.

Good luck making your Hungryman dinners without a microwave :thumbsup2:

Haven't had a HM in years. The rare occasion I use a microwave to heat up the rare leftover. I also have a solar oven that is awesome, makes the best "baked" potatoes. I love beans in my chili, that also has meat.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having me some red beans and rice in about 5 minutes, as a matter of fact.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
It goes without saying that there is a natural limit to your preps in an apartment. All the sprouts and windowsill herb boxes won't stretch out your preps much, those merely supplement your stores with fresh veggies so you don't die of vitamin deficiencies.

If you have six months worth of preps, and all of the folks in your complex have three days worth, you are going to have some visitors on day 4. By day 7-10, if there is no help from elsewhere they will be killing you to get to your food and water if you're not willing to share. Plenty of people will rationalize killing others if they're hungry enough and watching their family starve. Not trying to be a downer but it's true and it's been proven in even recent history in places like Argentina and Bosnia. Most Americans don't know true starvation and that intense sensation of hunger that sets in after just a few days without food will make a lot of people crazy.

Unfortunately for the rest of the residents, (and conversely for myself) i'm the only one armed here, and I've rationalized blowing them all away to protect myself and my girlfriend. That many bodies would make fine fertilizer and push up a nice garden on that big stretch of land outside. And i've got plenty of ammunition to do it too.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

best is water bottles so you can dispose of waste easier. and a couple boxes of baby wipes.

its the small things that will kill you

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2