Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Sling? I don’t need a sling 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of many aspects of having a sling on a long gun…

Most people don’t carry it for any more than to the range. So, most don’t even own a sling that works.

So the need for a sling becomes almost mute to the vast majority of folks.

Now when considering having or carrying a rifle - long term or as recently someone posted on another forum that one who Carrie’s it around (say all day, everywhere you go) becomes quite apparent. The real need to have a sling of some sort (for comfort, for portability and especially to multi task in everyday routines - freeing up at least one if not both hands).

So, if you don’t have a sling setup.

Consider one and just like holsters.
Beware - Most people end up with several different types and setups… and like holsters almost everyone has their ideal ones they like.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*moot

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of these:
https://www.natchezss.com/sig-sauer-sli ... ack-516716
Paid twice as less a few years ago.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my SHTF, go-to rifle i wove paracord into a sling. Sure the lack of adjustability sucks but i like the idea of having 100 or whatever feet of paracord at my disposal.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a guy in Seattle that made slings... SKT Industries. Woild make them up as you waited at the gun shows. Sliders like the Magpul MS slings.
It is still my favorite.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magpul MS-1 slings are my favorite, I have 4 of them.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:03 pm

I've used these pretty hard, they work really well and have held up

https://amzn.to/46LrgIF

Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Krydex

Dgina

FJB

Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couldn't agree more, oldkim. Slings are a MUST.

I have a bunch of Magpul MS1/MS3/MS4 because I got a great deal on them as they were being clearanced out of someone's inventory. They're decent, but there's better out there.

The Warrior Poet sling is legit: https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/wps-rifle-sling/

Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m a booner
Carry up front ready to shoot
https://www.bing.com/shop/productpage?q ... ORM=SSAPC1

Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:21 am

Agreed, the sling is to the rifle as the holster is to the pistol.

But the difference is, I have different types of holsters for different uses/situations.

All long guns get the same type of sling: 2pt. quick-adjust.

Lot of great brands out there. I make my own.

Only store-bought we have around is a MS-1, and it's great too.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:38 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Blue force tactical makes a really nice sling for a good value. I have a SKT. Also an excellent sling but I prefer the blue force.

I’ve carried AR’s all over Montana for days on a blue force and it stayed comfy and tight.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been running 5.11 and vickers/bfg for a while, next one will be a mars sling from odgg, comes highly regarded from some training friends

Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:21 am

Part of my training in the CMP was proper use of a sling. I have and adjustable sling on all of my long guns.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. If you have no sling and you need to transition to a pistol... what are you going to do? Throw your rifle down or take the time to lean it up against something? How about when you need two hands for a task? Just holding onto your rifle for a length of time...

Necessary accessory column.

FJB

Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]