Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

Re: Spring has sprung, lets see your gardens...

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:11 am

Mine was somewhat of a bust. Planted after the last frost and all my root vegetables, and spinach bolted. Giant slugs and some kind of flying insect decimated the rest. I did manage to get a handful of carrots, and a couple of cucumbers, and at least increased my seed supply for some exotic radishes. Just planted a new cold weather batch for fall and winter.

What do you guys do to combat slugs and stay organic?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:17 am

we used raised beds and have minimal issues with slugs. There are some natural things you can put around I think to deter them. Slugs are another issue. Nematodes may be a good amendment.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am

Used coffee grounds.

I sprinkle them at the base of my plants and around the border of my garden and it helps big time.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah, all my beds are raised but they still managed to get in them. I dropped a slug in a 5gal bucket of rainwater and it was gone the next day, so these suckers can climb. I'm at 1,000 feet elevation and it's typically damp most of the time. This was my first attempt at growing in the PNW. A lot different than California and Texas.

I'll try the coffee grounds. My wife uses the pods but i might be able to get a ton of the stuff from work. Thanks!

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Dry egg shells crushed and spread around the perimeters.....go ahead and slime over that while you cut yourself.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

dreadi wrote:Dry egg shells crushed and spread around the perimeters.....go ahead and slime over that while you cut yourself.

That's so metal :rockout:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 pm

dreadi wrote:Dry egg shells crushed and spread around the perimeters.....go ahead and slime over that while you cut yourself.

:plusone: i think you can also use DE.

On a side note anyone ever use reclaimed wood pallets for making raised beds?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:03 am

RadioSquatch wrote:

:plusone: i think you can also use DE.

On a side note anyone ever use reclaimed wood pallets for making raised beds?

DE can work on slugs, but you have to coat the shit out of the ground with it. It's not expensive though, and as soon as it rains, or you water your garden you give them a pathway. Cedar play chips work well too, it cuts them up and dries them out.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 am

Have a couple containers setup with Crocosmia and Oriental lillies. Check out this place in Vancouver, WA for lily and Crocosmia bulbs:
http://thelilygarden.com/

Picked the Adriana, Diablito, and Jochem varietals. Big fan of Crocosmia but they are pretty aggressive and quickly take over a garden bed. So I've resigned myself to growing them in large containers because the summer flowers are so damn awesome.

Plan to order some 'Madame Butterfly' and Lilium regale bulbs this week as I still have a bit of time to get them in containers and started.

Round Rock is in USDA Zone 8. Just planted a Mexican Bush Sage for summer/fall flowers:
mexican_bush_sage.jpg

This in a small circular bed with some Dianthus surrounding it for early season color.

Overhauling a 4' wide x 20' long front garden bed at the moment. Going to put trellis on the front of the house for jasmine and back it up below with some as yet to be determined perennials.

We also have god-awful chain link fencing. Placing Carolina Jessamine to twine through the chain link and break up the eyesore a bit hopefully.

Will post up some pictures this summer once everything established and in bloom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:37 am

Shits about to go down this weekend......

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 am

L_O_G wrote:Shits about to go down this weekend......

Garden party? I head down and help in the Hood and you come up and help in the Barrio? I feel like Im behind the 8 ball. Need to get my shit together if I want to get anything this year.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:41 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:

Garden party? I head down and help in the Hood and you come up and help in the Barrio? I feel like Im behind the 8 ball. Need to get my shit together if I want to get anything this year.

Im good on my end, but if you need my help let me know a bit in advance and I will head up. Im having 1.5 yards of dirt dropped this weekend and then need to figure out if Im renting or buying a tiller.

Side note, I found a guy in Kent that has killer Blueberry plants starting @ $7.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 am

L_O_G wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

Im good on my end, but if you need my help let me know a bit in advance and I will head up. Im having 1.5 yards of dirt dropped this weekend and then need to figure out if Im renting or buying a tiller.

Side note, I found a guy in Kent that has killer Blueberry plants starting @ $7.

Dude Im in the weeds(pun intended). Got the yard space for sure. I have 4 fruit trees that are blooming, and a big row of raspberries. Layout is totally stupid to me. This year just may be a maintenance on the fruit trees and construction on the garden proper for next year. Can always throw together an herb garden in a pot or two like I have in the past.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Can't wait to see what you do this year LOG.

Finally plucked the the fruits of my labor in the basketball garden icon_eek :bigsmile: . One day I may get as motivated as you.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Busy weekend..

Had 2 yards of organic dirt delivered on Friday and got it all spread.
Saturday I tilled all of my beds and boxes, then put half of my starts in the ground.
This morning I finished off the reaming ones, and now Im golden.

Doing it big this year:

13 different types of peppers
8 different types on tomatoes
Herbs, Cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, apples, raspberries & blueberries

Post a reply