Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A reminder of why we prep. 9.0 is a real possibility 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environm ... ys-n203936

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, at least the tsunami siren is across the street from me.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wear a life preserver over a survival suit, and you will be good to go.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone with a geology or marine hydraulics background able to discuss the likelihood of an off shore tsunami making it all the way down the straight and actually hitting Seattle?
My understanding was that due to the topography, the damage would be minimal.

Also, I think it's funny that Benson Hill, south of Renton, north of Kent, and east of 167, is littered in Tsunami direction signs....they all lead you OFF the hill into lower areas.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

H2obouget wrote:
Anyone with a geology or marine hydraulics background able to discuss the likelihood of an off shore tsunami making it all the way down the straight and actually hitting Seattle?
My understanding was that due to the topography, the damage would be minimal.

Also, I think it's funny that Benson Hill, south of Renton, north of Kent, and east of 167, is littered in Tsunami direction signs....they all lead you OFF the hill into lower areas.

Buddy of mine used to work with Emergency Mgmt at Camp Murray. His job was to graph and plot both volcanic activity as well as subduction quake predictions. It all depends on where the quake is centered. Off shore, but in line with Juan De Fuca and the Sound can see an initial tidal surge of 10-15' . Towns like Port Townsend and West Whidby would be the most impacted, with the surge lowering as it moved south in the Sound. Olympia would have a predicted swell of 2-3'. So, depending on Tides, it could really SUCK. Luckily, most of the sound is fairly deep.

Further down the coast and further out to sea, towns like Westport, Ocean Shores etc could get pummeled as the swell will have time to gain power as it comes on shore.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woo! Westport represent!

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Woo! Westport represent!

It was nice knowing you :rofl9:

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm moving back to the Olympia area within a year, so things just have to stay quiet until then.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If a 9.0+ earthquake was centered near Seattle, mostly everyone's "home preps" would be either destroyed, ruined, or damn near impossible to get to. Fire, floods, crumbled buildings or foundations to unstable to enter, are all major game changers. I thought about my commute home and how many overpasses, bridges, or elevated roads I take in my 13 minute commute home. Two overpasses, one elevated road, and a trip under the Sounders tracks. I would definitely be on foot back home.

Side note: I just recently finished reading a this book Full Rip 9.0 that is based on this very subject. Good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Rip-9-0-Eart ... B00A5MRCJU

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
If a 9.0+ earthquake was centered near Seattle, mostly everyone's "home preps" would be either destroyed, ruined, or damn near impossible to get to. Fire, floods, crumbled buildings or foundations to unstable to enter, are all major game changers. I thought about my commute home and how many overpasses, bridges, or elevated roads I take in my 13 minute commute home. Two overpasses, one elevated road, and a trip under the Sounders tracks. I would definitely be on foot back home.

Side note: I just recently finished reading a this book Full Rip 9.0 that is based on this very subject. Good read.

Sad but true. I try to prep for the worst - but the worst would put me in piss poor condition.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

:yes: Good read
Most stick homes will survive to a degree. Depending on location. I'm "bugging in".

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My plan as well, but a ruptured gas line could change plans in a jiffy.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
My plan as well, but a ruptured gas line could change plans in a jiffy.

Yep...and it doesn't even have to be close by immediately. The fire raging a mile away on the first day could be next door by day two if the fire department is paralyzed by destroyed roads or overwhelmed with higher priority locations.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 pm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... _world.php

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next