Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Get Home Bag 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone have a good list of components for a GHB? I almost got one of these, but my wife reminded me that I probably have half the stuff already http://echo-sigma.com/echo-sigma-get-home-bag/

I work about 20 miles from home, so 6+ hours on foot, in good weather. Obviously I'd try to close that distance with my vehicle, and abandon only as a last resort.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boots. Two to three pairs of socks, foot powder, change of underwear, and the usual food, water, shelter supplies. Caffeine rich beverages or candy. Maybe a shooter of liquor. Pain meds.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lighter, knife, $50 cash and toilet paper or wet wipes.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mp3 player can make 20 miles nice too.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Mp3 player can make 20 miles nice too.

I would argue that the MP3 player would reduce your level of awareness.

I quit listening to them out on my runs for this purpose. The music does improve my run times without me even noticing the increased effort but I've had bicyclists sneak up from behind and pass me and startle the shit out of me.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on the situation. So many are planning for SHTF violence and civil unrest, but sometimes it's July the weather is good, everyone is happy, you've had a serious run of bad luck, and just start walking.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

work gloves, mask (dust/particle), UV/shaded safety glasses, walking stick (can double as a defensive weapon or "extra reach" tool), compass and or map of the area (your usual routes may be unpassable and you may need to find an alternate route), a goof knife and some TP.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the ol google map, looks like after a couple miles on streets, I can cut to interurban trail. Hopefully stay out of sight a bit better (Provided the valley is not covered in Lahar of course).

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

kf7mjf wrote:
change of underwear

Amateur. Underwear is for girls. If you get cold put a sock on your cock and call it good.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of those throwaway mini-loaf tins is good for boiling water -- they fold down flat but can be reconstructed without creating any leaks, and they'll usually stand up to at least a couple of stints over the fire. Water purification tablets are also a good idea.

I keep a fair bit of stuff in my GHB that's handy for regular, non-SHTF use, too.

- Alcohol wipes and/or hand sanitizer (can also be used as a fire starter if needed)
- Paracord
- Zip ties
- Neosporin
- Dental floss (you'll thank me the first time you eradicate an errant piece of popcorn)
- Contractor yard bag (good for keeping muddy shoes off the carpet, can double as a ground sheet or poncho)
- Road flares
- Glow sticks (great for signaling)
- Mini Sharpie marker
- Phone charger (the wall version, in case you find yourself staying at work or a friend's house and actually have an opportunity to plug in)
- Ziploc bags

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Biggest thing I started adding to my bags....maps.

You'd be suprised how easy it is to think you know how to get home, only to be forced off your path and have to find a new route.
I ended up on a dead-end road on one of my walks a few days ago...if I had a maps of the area, I could have looked first and saved the time.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending on the situation it may take way longer to get home than you think.

I keep:
MRE
water
Water filter(sawyer mini)
Camel back(hose modified to allow inline use of sawyer mini filter).
Knife
Maps
Fire starter
Emergency blanket
Extra socks(wool)
Boots
Emergency signaling mirror
Rape whistle
Boo boo kit(ifak would be better)
I also have a baofeng radio

This is what I keep in my truck, useful if I'm stranded in the woods or to get me home in a shtf sit.

Also, weapon, mags and some other basics.

I've been thinking bout a way to install a small box that I could put under the back seat so I could lock it and it's out of sight of anyone who may look in my windows

Last edited by Soldier_Citizen on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where do you suggest getting maps? I understand mgrs the best, but others may not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Depending on the situation it may take way longer to get home than you think.

I keep:
MRE
water
Water filter(sawyer mini)
Camel back(hose modified to allow inline use of sawyer mini filter).
Knife
Maps
Fire starter
Emergency blanket
Extra socks(wool)
Boots
Emergency signaling mirror
Rape whistle
Boo boo kit(ifak would be better)
I also have a baofeng radio

This is what I keep in my truck, useful if I'm stranded in the woods or to get me home in a shtf sit.

Also, weapon, mags and some other basics.

I've been thinking bout a way to install a small box that I could put inter the back seat so I could lock it and it's out of sight of anyone who may look in my windows

My kit is almost identical. I have a stove, fuel, and kit to boil water for my mountain house though. Since I can't carry at work, I keep a pistol and five mags locked and hidden in my car. I work a few miles from home, so I can make the walk easy, but I'd rather be prepared than not.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

City maps can be found almost anywhere(I have one just for that Portland cluster fuck)
Then I use the usgs website to print cut and tape maps together(way cheaper than buying them) or I save them to a flash drive and take them into staples to have printed on other size paper

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next