Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Improvised Batteries and Charging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's happened. Your pet end of society collapse scenario has come and gone, and you survived. For the first time ever in industrial history, society is unable to regain what it had before the disaster of choice, and is actually regressing, much like post collapse of Rome. Technology is lost, civilization only survives within the reach of your rifle, and you and your merry band of militiamen/preppers/co-religionists define what exactly is civilization and you are probably (depending on how you favor your scenario to go) waging war on other bands of people/surviving government/bandits/the wrong religion/culture.

Anyway, while your children and maybe grandchildren are growing up to be paragons of this new regressed era, you still hold fond memories of the the Before Time and really would like to charge up your iPod and listen to Sir Mix-A-Lot sing about his love for big butts one more time before you die. Sadly, the last solar panel was destroyed in a raid, and your alternator windmill generator didn't work out as well as you planned, and besides, you had to eat the copper coil for food after two successive years of crop failure, because you chose to stash another thousand rounds of .22 instead of garden seeds, thinking the other guy had the seeds.

So, how are you going to drag your group kicking and screaming back into the glory days of the mid 19th century? Why through Science(TM) of course! Presuming you don't adhere to some weird religion or political party that fears science you have choices. Of course since we are living on the scrap heap of the superior civilizations that preceded us, you might try rigging wind and water power or even crude steam power to get some salvaged and cobbled together generators working, but let's face it, we kinda gloss over that sort of thing in our imaginary planning, and jump right to a Jules Verne Mysterious Islandesque scenario, where our noble survivors are full of advanced knowledge, but in a land without any machines.

So we are going to make batteries, and hope that whatever charging devices you have left can deal with dirty and sometimes fluctuating current, because you don't know the advanced electronics to make the circuits and voltage regulators to safely charge your precious pre Hillary 4th term MP3 player, and neither do I.

So what are we gonna do? Well for one, the quickest answer if you can scavenge some wire and metal rods is an earth battery. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_battery it was good enough for the early telegraph systems, it's good enough to get one more sweet playback extolling the truth of liking rotund backsides.

However, if you are a little more advanced or have access to a convenient supply of basic chemicals (don't worry, the heroic Last True American always has this deus ex machina) then we can make any number of wet cell batteries. In it's most primitive form, soak some cloth discs in vinegar (you have figured out how to make that by this point in your pet collapse setting, right? If not, you've got more important things to worry about than getting your radio back on the air.) and alternate a stack of pennies, or other coins to make a crude cell. It works, because science and maybe Jesus and shit.

Moving along though, since you probably glossed over canning too, and are now back to crude drying, smoking and brining techniques (see vinegar again) we can put some of these old timey early 21st century mason jars to good use.

The gravity or crowsfoot battery (so named because of the shape of it's electrodes) http://w1tp.com/mbatt.htm was a long time workhorse of the telegraph industry. All you need is scavenged copper, zinc and umm copper sulfate as an electrolyte. No copper sulfate? No worries, just cook some up with copper, and some sulfuric acid. No sulfuric acid? Ouch. Hope after you got enough tactical operators in your group you found somebody with basic chemistry skills. Sulfuric acid can be made in pre industrial conditions, or even better still scavenged from car batteries if there are still any left. http://chemistry.about.com/od/makechemi ... t-Home.htm meanwhile, consult your group, and when in doubt, kick one of the 20 self proclaimed DM/Snipers out and find somebody who knows more about chemistry than how to cook meth.

Of course if you've got magnets and some copper wire, you can make a generator http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Electric-Generator

Either way, let's pretend you've got some sweet, sweet volts flowing, and your noble band of survivors is standing around oohing and ahhing like cavemen when seeing fire for the first time.

Well shit. You gotta regulate that voltage now don't you? Well, you're on your own here, there are plenty of homemade voltage regulators out there, but they all rely on modern chips and components. Long story short, if your doomsday scenario includes a future where mankind has regressed technically, either stock up hella good for yourself, and enjoy the batteries while they last and while your charging technology lasts, or sit around the campfire someday holding up a dead cellphone with an extended radio antenna and try to convince the future generations that you really could text through the air with this tiny thing.

The reality is, for most of us, once you lose the ability to charge batteries, you are fucked three ways from sundown. Fortunately, the reality is this probably won't be the case. Just keep a good solar charger, and maybe a hand crank generator, and for that equally unlikely time you find yourself lost in the woods playing noble savage with modern technology, you can keep the phone charged.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Last edited by kf7mjf on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highly entertaining! :pray:

Good info. I've bookmarked it in case i ever need it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you enjoyed it.

Some basic info on early wet cell batteries. Seriously, it's a glass jar with bits of metal sitting in acid or copper sulfate. https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/battery-jars/

You want to go hardcore, nickel-iron batteries are made out of awesome and win and may, if properly cared for be just like the Mosin Nagant, and outlast the heat death of the universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2 ... on_battery

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.powerstream.com/1922/battery ... pter17.htm

Old school lighting batteries.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vinegar, eh? For some folks it's kind of like sour dough, in that one keeps a "mommy" culture from which consumable batches are made.
This guy says it isn't necessary : http://www.food-skills-for-self-sufficiency.com/making-vinegar.html
So, with vinegar you can make salad dressing, batteries, keep your wimmins fresh :thumbsup2: and it has probiotics.

I'm guessing for the copper portion of that battery, it would be important to find OLD pennies with a good copper content?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably. Pre 1982 pennies would work.

The reality is, nobody is going to need this outside of science fair and proof of concept. If society ever gets so fucked where we are making batteries from old pennies or spent cartridge cases, there are far more important things to worry about.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually made money off the ideas in this thread.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/extreme-s ... -collapse/

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're back!?!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. I was dicking around with an early 20th century transformer and a radio amplifier and somehow tore a hole in the fabric of reality. I'm not back, I'm simply living in the aether.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was the transformers name Megatron?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Good info. I've bookmarked it in case i ever need it.
Better print it out. Along with all the pages linked to. Otherwise, if you ever need it, you aren't going to be able to reach it!

jukk0u wrote:
I'm guessing for the copper portion of that battery, it would be important to find OLD pennies with a good copper content?
Use the new ones. You get zinc and copper BOTH in the same coin. :wink05:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
http://www.powerstream.com/1922/battery_1922_WITTE/batteryfiles/chapter17.htm

Old school lighting batteries.

When I was overseas I had a part time job running the Base Theatre projectors. It was in Germany and the "lighting voltage was ~220 volts. The emergency lighting in the theater was powered by 10 large batteries each about the size of a 5-gallon gas can, made of glass, and open topped. Weekly we had to take a large jug of distilled water and top off each of the open topped "Cells". Primitive but effective.

If one could get the materials to make the lead plates and the sulfuric acid I suppose that one could use plastic containers instead of glass, as long as heat wasn't an issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]