Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Safe houses anyone? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "bug out" thread got me thinking -

In the military we have "safe houses" all over the world. Someone is in trouble in XYZ hotspot we call our local contact to help hide & support that person until extraction.

In my experience as a civilian, during 9/11/01, I had friends visiting from NJ and the flights were canceled for days. So they extended their stay.

We have a big community here. Why not try the same?

Now, if you're like me, you're a bit cautious about letting strangers come over. But this could be something we could make work. If we at minimum had a chance to all meet at group shoots and BBQs, and at least knew the phone numbers - assuming the grid of phones doesn't collapse -

If you're stranded in XYZ city, you have a safe house for the day or few days.

For instance, I'm in Spanaway. If someone was around Spanaway and there was a Tsunami on the coast, and they couldn't get home, I would be welcoming to let normal members from WGN stay with me while it got sorted out.

Consensus.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming you aren't asking anyone to harbor fugitives, and that you're bringing your own bullets and guns... sure.

I think it's been pretty well displayed on here that folks will step up. There was a guy here a month or two back that was looking for a place to rack while in the area (Seattle) for a hospital visit or some kind of familial obligation... a couple of folks offered to put him up.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:

In the military we have "safe houses" all over the world. Someone is in trouble in XYZ hotspot we call our local contact to help hide & support that person until extraction.

In my experience as a civilian, during 9/11/01, I had friends visiting from NJ and the flights were canceled for days. So they extended their stay.

Now, if you're like me, you're a bit cautious about letting strangers come over. But this could be something we could make work. If we at minimum had a chance to all meet at group shoots and BBQs, and at least knew the phone numbers - assuming the grid of phones doesn't collapse -

For instance, I'm in Spanaway. If someone was around Spanaway and there was a Tsunami on the coast, and they couldn't get home, I would be welcoming to let normal members from WGN stay with me while it got sorted out.

Consensus.

I know your phone # and address. :)

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Assuming you aren't asking anyone to harbor fugitives, and that you're bringing your own bullets and guns... sure.

I think it's been pretty well displayed on here that folks will step up. There was a guy here a month or two back that was looking for a place to rack while in the area (Seattle) for a hospital visit or some kind of familial obligation... a couple of folks offered to put him up.

Yea but it's not hard to stash that one in a broom closet

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
I shall wait the rebuttal...this should be good. :ROFLMAO: :popcorn:

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:
I shall wait the rebuttal...this should be good. :ROFLMAO: :popcorn:

Yeah, I offered to put that one up. That Fucker is A-Ok in my book.

I even offered him my truck to drive for his appointments, just didn't work out.

If I "know" you at all, I have a safe house for you.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

:Admin:

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Consensus.

Oh that reminds me, you left your panties here. You want me to drop them off, or just wait 'til you're over next?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn...those would be some pretty good size Panties.
You rode that?
icon_eek

Well, at least he wouldn't be as hairy as Steve. That fucker is like a Wookie, but his Jaw does unhinge.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Holy shit. Two threads in a row that felt like a kick right in the brain.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm home = Safe house.
You try to come in my house uninvited = Unsafe house.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waguns Railroad?

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:
[
Oh that reminds me, you left your panties here. You want me to drop them off, or just wait 'til you're over next?

save them, when the SHTF I might soil myself.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

Consensus.

If you limit your offer to "normal" members doesn't that cut way down on the number of people eligible for your offer?? :bigsmile:

Seriously, I grew up in a family that practiced this very thing. Lived in a semi-rural area and one winter it snowed pretty heavy. I kind of "snow-shoed" up our long driveway to get the mail and newspaper only to find a woman stuck next to our mailbox with several kids in the car. Brought them down to the house and first thing, the furnace was turned up, coats were spread allover the place to dry, the extra leaves were added to the dinner table, and they joined us for dinner. A call was made to her husband in a town a dozen miles away. Eventually he arrived with a chained up vehicle and took his family home. That's just the way our family worked.

As for counting on a "Safe House", hard to do when you consider the circumstances that might cause it's need. Earthquake, Tsunami, other major disaster, war? Will the Safe House still be there?

I prefer to just be ready to take off on an unplanned camping trip, keeping camping supplies pre-staged in my garage so I can load up and move out in less than an hour. Less time if I can take my travel trailer with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be resurrecting a dead thread but this is an interesting proposition. Were a group to implement a system such as this, I say there should be better security than "Oh, you`re X person? Cool, c`mon in." Example told me by my father from our time in the Balkans:

My uncle was running in a combatant unit in the Balkan emergency of the 1990s. His unit funded itself through drug creation and distribution as well as gun running and only he knows what else. Early in the conflict they had a grow operation in a safe house like the one described. Eventually enemy intelligence learned of it and that security was based entirely on names, "Oh, you`re Dragan? Here`s our operation." So a rival faction sent a spy in to "close that house and liquidate all assets." He was instructed to show up with an MP5 under his smock, and give the name of one of the men on my uncle`s side to gain entry. Luck wasn`t with him however as the name he gave was that of the man who answered the door. The operation was shut down and moved while tighter security was implemented. That story ended much better than it could have, and explains why I think a password should be given in-person at group shoots or other such get-togethers. Just my $0.02.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next