https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/
Post a reply

Big Long Parkerizing Tank is HAUGHT

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:20 pm

I'm considering getting a 40" long 5 gallon tank and heater for parking long items that don't fit into my current setup. The ROI has always been on my mind with this purchase. I'd like to gauge interest from the group. Who would have immediate need of my services for items longer items such as barrels or longer receivers?

Re: Big Long Parkerizing Tank Possibility

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Parkerizing with Cerakote over it? How long is your current setup? 24-26" barrel, barreled action like a Winchester Model 70, or a long shotgun?

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:33 pm

CQBgopher wrote:Parkerizing with Cerakote over it? How long is your current setup? 24-26" barrel, barreled action like a Winchester Model 70, or a long shotgun?
Or just parking for folks that would like it for a finish instead of their current situation of rust and don’t want to spend the money on a Cerakote finish.

I currently parkerize in a 8qt pot which is fine for handguns and C clamps.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 pm

I would love a cerakote over parkerized finish on some long guns. :bigsmile:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 am

What’s a tank cost? I may have something around here that would work.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:09 pm

I have 1 shotty and 1 rifle that could use some new clothes but, nothing over 28.5" (prepped).

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:36 pm

When you park rifle barrels do you have to plug the barrel? I've heard the parkerize etches the rifling and makes them not as accurate? I'm not familiar with parkerize to know.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Bluing- yes, Parkerizing..unlikely.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm

tpryder wrote:When you park rifle barrels do you have to plug the barrel? I've heard the parkerize etches the rifling and makes them not as accurate? I'm not familiar with parkerize to know.
Always.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:56 pm

So.... could a flash hider, pinned to the barrel, be parked without affecting to whole barrel?

(Just the tip :bigsmile: )

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04 pm

jukk0u wrote:So.... could a flash hider, pinned to the barrel, be parked without affecting to whole barrel?

(Just the tip :bigsmile: )
I wouldn’t try it. Unless someone comes up with a way to isolate the rest of the assembly from vapor, it would be affected.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:09 pm

That incoming 870 receiver would do well parked.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:54 pm

A tank doesn't have to be very expensive, although when I looked around at commercial units most of them seemed way overpriced. You can have a local fab shop bend up a piece of stainless sheet and weld the corners; it's pretty basic and doesn't take long. I made my own but any fab shop with a brake and welding ability can do it. I made mine to easily fit a 24" barreled action and just use various baking pans for smaller stuff; I have been parkerizing my own stuff since ~2002 and found it's a simple process but very effective either on it's own or as a base layer for coatings. It's a more utilitarian appearance than bluing but much more durable and protective; it's definitely a good capability for any gunsmith shop.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:46 am

Yondering wrote:A tank doesn't have to be very expensive, although when I looked around at commercial units most of them seemed way overpriced. You can have a local fab shop bend up a piece of stainless sheet and weld the corners; it's pretty basic and doesn't take long. I made my own but any fab shop with a brake and welding ability can do it. I made mine to easily fit a 24" barreled action and just use various baking pans for smaller stuff; I have been parkerizing my own stuff since ~2002 and found it's a simple process but very effective either on it's own or as a base layer for coatings. It's a more utilitarian appearance than bluing but much more durable and protective; it's definitely a good capability for any gunsmith shop.

A few years back I looked into buying two of the long skinny food service trays and tig weld them together. Would be about 44 inches and 40 bucks.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:16 pm

mcyclonegt wrote:
Yondering wrote:A tank doesn't have to be very expensive, although when I looked around at commercial units most of them seemed way overpriced. You can have a local fab shop bend up a piece of stainless sheet and weld the corners; it's pretty basic and doesn't take long. I made my own but any fab shop with a brake and welding ability can do it. I made mine to easily fit a 24" barreled action and just use various baking pans for smaller stuff; I have been parkerizing my own stuff since ~2002 and found it's a simple process but very effective either on it's own or as a base layer for coatings. It's a more utilitarian appearance than bluing but much more durable and protective; it's definitely a good capability for any gunsmith shop.

A few years back I looked into buying two of the long skinny food service trays and tig weld them together. Would be about 44 inches and 40 bucks.

I hadn't considered that. That's a lot of weld though...
Post a reply