https://www.facebook.com/SprIndustriesLlc/
Post a reply

Winchester M70 300 Win. Mag.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:51 pm

This was a really great rifle build. It was for a friend of mine that is really into guns. He has two little kid, so he hasn't done much shooting in the last several years, which I can really relate to. It was really great to see the excitement on Ty's face when he picked it up. He is a great guy that deserves to have a great rifle.

Rifle specs: Blueprinted Winchester Model 70 action, Badger Ordnance 20 MOA scope base with 1/8 inch dowel pins. Krieger stainless 1:10 MTU contour chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum match. McMillan stock pillar bedded with CDI detachable bottom metal. Trigger is set to 2 1/2 lbs.

Re: Winchester M70 300 Win. Mag.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:05 am

That's purty, Tom. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like your buddy is a happy man!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 am

:bigsmile:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Thats my gun................... :bigsmile:

Today was my first day at the range in over 4 years. Not just with this rifle, but any rifles. I am a decent shot, but by no means a benchrest or competetive shooter. That being said, I am a tad bit rusty. The rifle way out shot me but I was still thrilled with the outcome, especially considered my lack of trigger/recoil time.

I shot at Kenmore Range (100yard), I was there at noon today. I was concerned. I have had poor luck with Kenmore in the past. I previously held a Range Officer Certification, so safety has always been big for me and was never an issue. I just don't like getting treated like crap...... Which seemed to be the routine there. I was pleasantly surprised to see John Sutton as the Range Officer. Some of you Sno-County guys and Class 3 guys might know him. Anyways, super cool guy, atmosphere was welcoming, everyone there was having a great time.... No "soup-nazi" to kill the mood.

It took me 4 rounds to get to my zero. I took about 5 minute breather and fired 3 shots. I was super happy with the first round. Factory Winchester 180gr SP.
the shot to the left and below the shoot and see were 2 of my sight in shots.

The next 3 were not as good. I'm not sure if it was anticipating the recoil or being over confident from my previous 3 shots, or both.

I switched to a 220gr handload that a fellow Wagunner worked up. The first shot of the 3 rounds pulled to the right. 100% my fault. I flinched just as i fired. The other 2 shots were damn near one ragged circle.

So all told, I fired 13 rounds. I could have shot more but wanted to get some time on the other guns as well. I have no doubt that with more trigger time and some quality hand loads, I should be able to keep my groups a hell of a lot tighter.

Tom builds an amazing rifle. The trigger is outstanding, the fitment and over-all build quality is just unreal. My rifle is truly a tank, and a very precision built tank at that. The optic is a Vortex Viper PST (bought here on Waguns) and GG&G billet steel medium rings. The low rings would not work as the MTU barrel contour requires a slightly higher ring. THe end of May I should have the AAC Titan suppressor in my possesion and will also be refinishing the metal surfaces hopefully this summer. Most likely Cerakote in McMillan or Coyote tan.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 am

I'm glad you got to burn some powder today! This summer we can work up a hand load for both our 300's!!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 am

Damn, dude ... first time behind a rifle in 4 years, and you did THAT?! icon_eek

Most impressive, sir.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 am

Steve, it was most definitely the rifle. After 3 hours at the range I needed a nap I was so beat.

Tom, I can't wait. Thrilled beyond words with the rifle.

Ty

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am

Wow, great shooting and another great testament to why you take your rifles to Tom.

Where was that range at?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 am

Kenmore

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Great looking rifle! I am currently 5th in line for tom to work some magic on my rifle. Just ordered my McRee's Precision G5 TMAG stock in OD Green. Got a killer deal on it! cant wait

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm

He is well worth the wait. If you are down this way this weekend and want to take a closer look at his work, PM me. I met you once the day before your youngest was born I think, sold you a free float forearm for an AR.

Ty

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 pm

was it a smooth DPMS free float about 12 inches in length?? i do believe i did. I have sold several. Honestly i sold every AR and AR part i have. After owning an M1a, i cant even imagine owning another semi auto that is not one. Back to point i would love to fondle your rifle, and i will sure to bring paper towels for the drool....

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Wait, what? No ARs? Thats like... well, like no 45s. Ha ha. Yah, that was the DPMS tube alright.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Very nice rifle and great grouping.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

tannardog wrote:Wait, what? No ARs? Thats like... well, like no 45s. Ha ha. Yah, that was the DPMS tube alright.

OH I HAVE SEVERAL 45S!!!!
Post a reply