Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Kesselring's going out of business... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WTF? I'm totally speechless...

According to their Facebook page it's a forced handover of their FFL to the ATF.

So, now those of us north of Everett have Skagit Arms and...uhh...yeah.

Grrrrrrr

:frust:

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

etrigan420 wrote:
WTF? I'm totally speechless...

According to their Facebook page it's a forced handover of their FFL to the ATF.

So, now those of us north of Everett have Skagit Arms and...uhh...yeah.

Grrrrrrr

:frust:

What the pot demon said.

What does that mean forced handover of the FFL? And please don't assume I mean the basic definition of the previous statement...

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly I don't know either...

It says that on October 1st they will be surrendering their FFL to the ATF, then in a later post it states that it will be a "forced surrender".

Says they're becoming a "Sporting Goods" store...

Just bizarre.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

etrigan420 wrote:
Honestly I don't know either...

It says that on October 1st they will be surrendering their FFL to the ATF, then in a later post it states that it will be a "forced surrender".

Says they're becoming a "Sporting Goods" store...

Just bizarre.

Sporting goods????

What sporting goods other than firearms, ammo, and components, are they selling?

As for "forced surrender", I seriously doubt that it's by action from the ATF. If it were, logic would suggest the "surrender" would occur far sooner than 3 months from now.

Could be the entry of Cabela's to the market they used to pretty much enjoy as as the only real gun dealer in the area (since old Clarence started it up in 1947).

Could also be that Don's ready to retire himself and he doesn't have anyone to turn the business over to or sell to.

Financial or family circumstances can be responsible as much as "legal issues".

I'll be interested in hearing more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sad news whenever ANY gun store ceases to exist.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Sad news whenever ANY gun store ceases to exist.

Reading deeper into the comments and responses on this there was the feeling that there might have been a security issue that put the store in a poor position with the BATF.

I haven't been in there for a few months but I hear that all the firearms out on the racks are now "cable locked".

With the current political climate I'm sure the BATFE has been closely monitoring store's records and missing firearms can be a death blow.

Like someone else commented on their FB page, a perfect storm hit. Poor economy, increased competition, shortages of firearms, ammo, and components. Just add some good old fashioned government bureaucracy and then the only one making money is the Lawyer.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:52 pm

They aren't just a dealer, they are distributor for some firearms brands in the region. I'd heard rumors about this in the past, but was hoping they were just that.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

There is a rather large amount of paperwork that is required to run a firearms business, and if you rely on poorly paid retail employees, there are plenty of possibilities of mistakes; when they accumulate, BATFE takes your license.

Cabelas and large stores solve this problem via a pretty strict process involving multiple employee review of every transaction. I personally have thousands of lines of code that do monitoring and recordkeeping. Medium-sized businesses like Kesselring are probably hit the most: they have a relatively large number of employees who can make mistakes, and they can't invest in an appropriate IT system that would help safeguard the process.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
I personally have thousands of lines of code that do monitoring and recordkeeping.

Patent, trademark or whatever the proper protection is needed and start licensing that out!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Rusoarmo wrote:
solyanik wrote:
I personally have thousands of lines of code that do monitoring and recordkeeping.

Patent, trademark or whatever the proper protection is needed and start licensing that out!

I think this might be where this project is heading :-).

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
Medium-sized businesses like Kesselring are probably hit the most: they have a relatively large number of employees who can make mistakes, and they can't invest in an appropriate IT system that would help safeguard the process.

Actually, they have a pretty decent IT system to keep track of their receipts and sales. Even put the serial number of the firearm on the Sales Receipt from the "Computer". Also have multiple employees involved in the "Checking Process".

Fail to see how an IT system can take care of the problem of thefts, unless one conducts daily inventories and posts a guard on the door.

If that was the case then it's sad.

Also, if it was a case of missing weapons, I wonder if any of them turned up at crime scenes? As I recall that was an issue with Bullseye and the WA DC Sniper(s).

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 am

The gun in the DC Sniper case tuned out to be missing from Bullseye, then they were audited because it was never reported lost/stolen. During the audit a ton of guns turned up missing. Employs theft or employees not paying attention?
Colloseum Software has AIMI which is a decent bound book replacement..better for a small,low volume store, or a distributor or manufacturer, but still OK. ARS Solutions has their AXIS POS and bound book solution, but so far it doesn't do the online NICS check, you still have to call it in, or manually do the NICS E-check.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was having a conversation at the range the other day with someone who is pretty well informed on this situation.

First, there are over 4,000 firearms that HAVE to GO before October 1. Might be some good sale prices on some of their inventory.

Second, the current operator "Donnie" Kesselring isn't on the FFL. Apparently it's in the name of another party, most likely his dad Don and it wasn't transferred when Don retired.

This was just one of many items that were turned up in a BATFE audit. It wasn't just one thing that triggered the "forced surrender".

It also sounded, from the conversation, that the Kesselring's will be moving to their new store in Burlington and the old location will go away.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 am

deadshot2 wrote:
It wasn't just one thing that triggered the "forced surrender".

It never is. They could pull an FFL from a dealer for one simple mistake on a 4473 or in the bound book. However, they aren't actually all that bad. You really have to screw up. Bad. Even if you're one of those actual unlicensed dealers, meaning a large portion of your income is derived from the sale of firearms, they'll give you a talking to and a warning.
Hell gun and ammo sales make so much money for the federal government that they can't shut down every dealer who makes a few small mistakes. Too much money to lose.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
Hell gun and ammo sales make so much money for the federal government that they can't shut down every dealer who makes a few small mistakes. Too much money to lose.

I wonder how many people actually know about the 15% excise tax the fed's collect on manufacturer sales of ammo?

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next