Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hodgon Benchmark Powder for the .223 Remingon 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finished up loading my 75gr pulled bullets using IMR 4700SSC today. I recently bought 1000 Hornady 55gr FMJBT's and needed a good powder to match. Since the 4700SSC only has load data for 75gr and up bullet size, I decided to try the Hodgdon Benchmark powder. Early returns for my Lee Auto Disk Pro are great, as far as metering goes this powder is great. I set up for 24.5 gr and tested 10 consecutive loads all measuring within .1 gr. I loaded 100 rounds and tested every 10 loads and all stayed within .1 gr.

I love the way this stuff meters, and there is 15 different loads for bullets from 35 to 80 gr bullets. thumbsup

Thanks,

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:30 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.. I've only used 2 powders so far. One was AA#2, its fine like sugar. If you miss a primer it pours out so fast. The other is Hp-38 and that stuff is coarse and when you miss a primer you have to shake the shit out of the bullet to get the powder out.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oly, you haven't tried stick powders yet ... they make the HP38 look pretty good!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good info Jeff!

And I personally love HP-38...

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For 55gr bullets in .223 you may not like Benchmark unless you like slower velocities. If this is for an AR, you may want to go to the powders that were formulated for this firearm like AA2230, H335, or BL-C(2). Whenever I use the slower powders in my AR's I usually see more carbon in the Bolt Carrier and on the end of the bolt. That coupled with the slower velocities and I just use the slow powders in my bolt actions.

As always, everyone has their own parameters, the above are just mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my XDM 9 and 40 I use both Alliant Power Pistol and HP-38. For my AutoDisk Pro, the HP-38 meters a little better overall. As for shooting accuracy, I am equally poor with both.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
For 55gr bullets in .223 you may not like Benchmark unless you like slower velocities. If this is for an AR, you may want to go to the powders that were formulated for this firearm like AA2230, H335, or BL-C(2). Whenever I use the slower powders in my AR's I usually see more carbon in the Bolt Carrier and on the end of the bolt. That coupled with the slower velocities and I just use the slow powders in my bolt actions.

I will find out about it's performance In a week or so, My next trip out to Paul Bunyan.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

has anyone know (or think they know) whats best for a 62 grain bulet?

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

WC44... Douja has it.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:

Tonight I was looking at the Hodgdon burn rate charts and noticed the burn rate is a tad faster for Benchmark than H335 and AA2230.

80 Hodgdon BENCHMARK
    81 Hodgdon H335
    83 Accurate Arms 2230

Still, I will see how Benchmark plays out with the 55's I have next week. I will check out the carbon build up. I noticed a build up on the bolt with the IMR 4007SSC I was using last time. It came off hard, even with a chrome bolt & carrier group.

Thanks,

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
has anyone know (or think they know) whats best for a 62 grain bulet?

I've loaded enough of these to fill a dozen .50 cal ammo cans with no strippers, just loose. I have used H-335 and AA2230 with great results. If you're shooting these in an AR, these are the Powders that are the same as the Mil-Spec powders.

If you want some of the same stuff that sends the 62 gr bullets at the Taliban, WC844 is available as a "pull down" powder for about $40-$50 less than the commercial stuff. Check out Pat's Reloading. At one time he paid the Hazmat fee on orders of 32# (4-8# jugs). If you also load for .308, consider the WC846. It works well for both. It's also a "pull down" that's inexpensive.

Regular civilian powder like I listed sells for $136/8# jug and you have to pay the hazmat.

I don't know about it being the "best" but AA2230 sure works nice all around. It meters well through my dillon powder measure and doesn't foul the bolt/bolt carrier as bad as H335.

I load 23.5 gr of 2230 with my 62 gr bullets with an OAL of 2.255 (that leaves .005 for tolerance issues in the bullets so the rounds feed freely from the magazine). this load gives me a 3000fps round.

For my 55 gr bullets I use 25.5 of 2230 and still an OAL of 2.255. These rounds are closer to 3200fps average.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I'm talking about! Great information deadshot2.

Thank you.

Sent from my EVO using TapaTalk

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
H-335 is the equivalent of the WC44, which is .mil pulldown. We use both to load 55 and 62 with CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers for our AR's. Doug sells the WC44 in large jugs.

small pistol primer? realy?

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wc844 8lbs $110, 4lbs $60
ready for pick up.
Tacoma
loads using Hodgdon's H335 data.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 am

i really have no idea what you all are talking about....sounds pretty interesting though! maybe i should read some of the 20 or so reloading books i have!

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next