Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 LESA Pierce county CCW issuance. ***UPDATED 9\11\2012*** 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

***BEGIN UPDATE 9\11\2012***:
LESA’s public counter now open every weekday

The Law Enforcement Support Agency’s information services counter will now be open to the public on Tuesdays.

In 2010, budget and staff cuts prompted the agency to close the public counter one day a week. It will now be open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. It is closed weekends and holidays.

People can apply for a concealed pistol license or obtain fingerprints, among other services.

The address is 945 Tacoma Avenue South, Tacoma.

***END UPDATE***

OLD UPDATE:

Quote:
Steve,
Thank you for your email regarding LESA - specifically the inordinate amount of time it takes for processing concealed
pistol license applicants. I have made inquiries about your concerns and learned that they are working on scheduling
additional staff and possibly reorganizing in order to address the long waits. The problem hinges on the amount of time it
takes to do the fingerprinting of applicants.

The Director of LESA presented the issue to the LESA Board at a meeting yesterday. He said that he believes it can be
dealt with within the current budget. I was glad to be assured that this matter is being given serious attention and will
be rectified, hopefully soon.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide me with information about this. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Roger Bush
Pierce County Council
District 3 Representative

So, as many of you know, LESA (Law enforcement support Agency) is where you go to get pistol permits in Pierce county. In fact, it is the only place.

They moved awhile back out of the CC building and across the street to their own facility. Great I thought....

Went on Monday and the place was full. Asked around what the wait time was and most said 2+hours. I had another appointment 2 1/2 hours out so this was a fail for me.
LESA is closed Tuesdays, I believe to support criminal trials that take place that day. (Who cares,they should be open.)

Went back today. arrived a 12:45. Got my number, sat down, and again heard the wait was 2+hours. I was determined to stick it out. An hour and 15 minutes later nice lady comes out with an announcement: 'anyone above number so and so, forget it, come back tomorrow...EARLY'. I was above number so and so, an thus failed again, noting that LESA's close time it 4pm, meaning 3 hrs and 45 minutes was again insufficient for me to exercise my right to protect myself. The reason given was lack of ability to fingerprint people fast enough.

So far, I have wasted 2 trips into downtown from Graham, time and fuel.

Now, there is an apologetic SIGN in the waiting room complaining about budget cuts. I am unaffected by that. Unsympathetic. I could care less.

LESA has an obligation to meet as an agent of the state and the CLEO. We pay a fee to exercise a right, a portion of which is simply a tax that goes right into the state general fund.

I get the feeling that LESA is coming dangerously close to voiding it's "shall issue" obligations. This needs to be fixed, ASAP. As a minimum, applications for pistol permits should be placed separately for those getting printed for real estate licenses, those with passport issues, and others seeking police reports. There should be a location on the east side. Get another print scanner, and a body to run it. Serve nutraloaf at the jail if you have to.

On the morrow', I shall be up at the buttcrack o'dawn, and at LESA's door when they open. Then we shall see.

Another caveat:

All the street parking in the area in 90 minute limit You have about 10 seconds to respond when your number is called. Since they use four sets of numbers for various sorts of customers, it's impossible to tell how close you are to being called. And you will be called twice, once for the application, and another for the prints. Get up to move your vehicle at your peril, or pay to park. Or just be willing to get the parking ticket. ( was was ready to take it for the team, but was preempted).

Renewals don't get off easy either. you need to fill out the form again. And wait.

DMV is bad. LESA is worse. except for the lack of cranky, hungry, sleepy or hyper kids. There is one and only one, and you have to go there.

But on the positive note, people seem to be legally arming themselves at a high rate. But my experience so far makes the case for permit-less constitutional carry, and open carry. Nobody at LESA was mean or impolite on either side.

Last edited by Rivitman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This sounds like a job for Dave Workman to report on! I'll send him an email.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thats a crazy story! Sucks about the parking too....

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:

Send one to Jessie also...
http://www.king5.com/news/get-jesse

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Good idea. I already sent an e-mail to the councilman and chairman. I really don't know if there is intent to impede, but the fact is they are allowing it to be difficult. Either out of neglect or with an excuse, and no possible legitimate excuse exists.

I note also the 2 perps have been nabbed for the sportco job. Given my recent personal experience with the County PA letting offenders plead down on multiple gun thefts, he might want to track the case.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2011/12/29/arrests-in-fife-gun-theft/

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow . . . how incredibly frustrating! Thanks for sharing your story with us; let us know how it works out tomorrow.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm

F@*k.. And I have to renew this year, great.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank St. Sebastian I live in Thurston Co.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

bhpdrew wrote:
Thank St. Sebastian I live in Thurston Co.

Was that the guy in Skid Row?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a stopgap, until they get their program in line, I will be requesting that the head of LESA direct a policy of placing CCW renewals first, applications second, and all other business last. I will do this through the council. Good luck and fat chance right?

Unfair as it might sound, that is their legal obligation.

Also, in studying the LESA website, the Tuesday closure was a cost cutting move only.

It really makes me want to show up tomorrow O.C'ing a big stainless .357. But that would be the wrong reason. And I'm all about doing things for the right reasons.

But it's nice to think about. =P~

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It amazes me that we can't go to another location to renew our licenses. if the damn drivers license can be renewed anywhere across the state why can't the CPL? The city of Kent has their office open 24/7.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now comes the real kicker...

RCW 9.41.070
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M1Gunr wrote:
Now comes the real kicker...

RCW 9.41.070
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Refusal is an arguable concept. They could argue inability, but by under-staffing LESA, fiscal necessity be damned, this would constructively be De-facto refusal .

Also Assuming that the fingerprint process is part and parcel of the application, we have a case

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it done this morning.

Arrived at 7:50am, 40 minutes before opening, and was first in line (Ticket A001).

By the 8:30 opening, there were 10 in line behind me, all but one (getting printed for a real estate license) were CCW applicants or renewals.

My ducks were in a row, forms filled out, and paid cash. I relaxed and let the fingerprint tech do her job.

I asked no questions, and was an uncomplicated customer.

In-out elapsed time was 12 minutes. The staff was nice and apologetic, having asked me if I had been in earlier in the week. They gave me free lamination. They appeared to be working efficiently. All two of them.

So all in all, I can't blame LESA staff, but I can place considerable blame at the feet of politicians and administration.

I believe the actual time per customer is probably 15 minutes given those with complicated matters, who are unprepared, or just clueless. That's just not enough capacity, equipment, or personnel.

Go early, but not often.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy crap . . . getting in line 40 minutes before they open . . . it's like Black Friday or a rock concert. :(

Well, I'm glad you were finally able to get it done. That must have been a pissed-off line of 10 people, though -- I bet most or all of them had experiences similar to yours.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next