Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

I-594 and CPL holders

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm

I apologize if this has been posted, I couldn't find anything on it, but according to this list https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart, WA CPL holders can skip the background check requirements of the Brady law.

But, I am wondering under I-594 if a CPL will work for private sales too? I'm guessing not

Re: I-594 and CPL holders

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Since initiative 594 was enacted a background check is required on all sale of firearms be it private or from a dealer.
There are a lot of gun stores throughout the Puget Sound, and Washington that will facilitate the paperwork for a fee usually around $40
I Hope this helps

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm

victoriassecret wrote:I apologize if this has been posted, I couldn't find anything on it, but according to this list https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart, WA CPL holders can skip the background check requirements of the Brady law.

But, I am wondering under I-594 if a CPL will work for private sales too? I'm guessing not

No, there's no exemption for CPL holders for private sales.

You need to go to an FFL and the FFL follows the process: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76956

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

ANZAC wrote:

And that my friends was very much on purpose.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Yep, it's not about safety - it's about making gun ownership a huge hassle.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Benja455 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Yep, it's not about safety - it's about making gun ownership a huge hassle.

Psssst. DO NOT tell ANZAC this.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

You're assuming way too much.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks guys. I even asked a Kitsap County Sheriff's deputy about this and he said he assumed a CPL was sufficient. Pretty funny that LE can't even comprehend the BS of the law

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:02 pm

victoriassecret wrote:Thanks guys. I even asked a Kitsap County Sheriff's deputy about this and he said he assumed a CPL was sufficient. Pretty funny that LE can't even comprehend the BS of the law

Cops are always most familiar with the laws they encounter most (laws that have been around for a while with frequent offenders). I'm always pointing stuff out our deputies don't know, especially about guns.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm

ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Oh I know. Sandy Brown, Fascatelli and the like. They said it. They could give a rat for CPL holders. I try to pay attention to these things. It IS frustrating, and that aspect got no traction.

I am bringing it up. I asked Dino Rossi:

I am wondering as a 2nd Amendment supporter, if you might support a bill to allow a 594 exemption for CPL holders for private sales. Both parties have a current CPL (which means background check already) - why should they have to pay the fees and the huge hassle of going to an FFL?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Au contraire mon frere...he assumes nothing - the intentions of 594's authors/financial backers were quite clear.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

ANZAC wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:Thanks guys. I even asked a Kitsap County Sheriff's deputy about this and he said he assumed a CPL was sufficient. Pretty funny that LE can't even comprehend the BS of the law

Cops are always most familiar with the laws they encounter most (laws that have been around for a while with frequent offenders). I'm always pointing stuff out our deputies don't know, especially about guns.

True, the only laws he seemed familiar with were firearm discharge ordinances and OC/CC. I was on a ridealong with him, so we really got to talkin'.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Police officers can carry concealed with their dept. ID, but still need a WA CPL to buy a HG and take it home the same day. Get a CPL everybody.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 pm

victoriassecret wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

True, the only laws he seemed familiar with were firearm discharge ordinances and OC/CC. I was on a ridealong with him, so we really got to talkin'.

Some LEOs have gone on record as saying 594 is such a low priority as to be nearly non-existent. Maybe some of them see a CPL as more meaningful than a law that is being basically ignored.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Benja455 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Au contraire mon frere...he assumes nothing - the intentions of 594's authors/financial backers were quite clear.

Actually I quizzed the "authors" on a variety of points (things that could have been better) and was told to GTFO because they had "top men" working on it. There were many things they clearly did NOT understand.
Post a reply