Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Help with Gun Room/Vault 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I don't mean to rain on your parade too, but how mobile will this be? Is it now part of the house? How hard to disassemble and return the room to normal if you were moving?

I know you guys mean to be in the house a long time but life happens sometimes. I don't know how much money (or headache) you'll save trying to build one instead of just throwing down a little more on a large safe that can come with you.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Rix86 wrote:
My gun room is almost all concrete
I can offer little help

What do you use for humidity control? Is it above or below grade?

Below grade. Temperature remains 5 - 10 above ambient with incandescent bulbs for heat. Dehumidifier when moisture gets ridiculous downstairs.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
However Dan is raining on my parade by talking in Latin about air flow crap! :bruce:

When you are smoking and keep the lid closed and closing the vents, it is preventing airflow, all the moisture becomes trapped in your metal box. Give it some air, and some of the moisture can escape. Same principal.

Do you want your guns moist?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
However Dan is raining on my parade by talking in Latin about air flow crap! :bruce:

When you are smoking and keep the lid closed and closing the vents, it is preventing airflow, all the moisture becomes trapped in your metal box. Give it some air, and some of the moisture can escape. Same principal.

Do you want your guns moist?

Combustion product is H2O so different animal. You can have a closed space, especial if entering air is relatively moist, just need some movement and temperature high enough to prevent condensation.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the idea of this and have thought about it before. I didn't even think about air movement. Great stuff.

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
I don't mean to rain on your parade too, but how mobile will this be? Is it now part of the house? How hard to disassemble and return the room to normal if you were moving?

I know you guys mean to be in the house a long time but life happens sometimes. I don't know how much money (or headache) you'll save trying to build one instead of just throwing down a little more on a large safe that can come with you.

I had no intention of being able to take it with me. Essentially its a big empty spot in my master closet that the previous owners had a sauna in. I figired if done well, shouldn't be an issue come selling time.

Dan, I'm not againt wire mesh, I was just hoping for good fire protection, and kaybe more than jist smash and grab protection. As stated before, I'm on a slab. So would I be able to do a mesh ceiling, for air flow? I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the problem if a guy just kept some sort of heat source and/or dissicant in there.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, you can do a mesh ceiling, as basically it's just really beefed up chicken wire. You want to think about your fire resistance when it comes to venting. That's why a jumper vent that goes into a conditioned space is nice.

If you have forced air, look at putting in a small supply line. Then, with the jumper vent you will keep equal pressure in the room and perform actual air changes which will decrease humidity and stagnation. I'll draw something up later today when I am on CAD and maybe give you a better visual.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Yes, you can do a mesh ceiling, as basically it's just really beefed up chicken wire. You want to think about your fire resistance when it comes to venting. That's why a jumper vent that goes into a conditioned space is nice.

If you have forced air, look at putting in a small supply line. Then, with the jumper vent you will keep equal pressure in the room and perform actual air changes which will decrease humidity and stagnation. I'll draw something up later today when I am on CAD and maybe give you a better visual.

That would be great. Thanks!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, here is what I have.

The first image shows the wall (and ceiling) construction.

Then, we have the Jumper Vent. All it is, is a floor vent on the wall and a small duct connecting it to another vent on the other side of the wall. Allows air to flow to and from the space, yet small enough to keep people from using it as a break-in point. When you heat the room (with forced air), it will pressurize the room, pushing all the old air out of that vent, then as the air cools, it will pull back in the air from the other side, basically helping to perform an air exchange. If you choose to run a baseboard in there, that's fine too, it will still seep back and forth, but if you don't plan on going in the room for a couple of days, it wouldn't hurt to run a fan in there as well.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Kinda out of the box but you could look into ICB's and hang the drywall on the inside of that. Only peoplem would be getting it to the current roof line.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:40 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
Ok, here is what I have.

The first image shows the wall (and ceiling) construction.

Then, we have the Jumper Vent. All it is, is a floor vent on the wall and a small duct connecting it to another vent on the other side of the wall. Allows air to flow to and from the space, yet small enough to keep people from using it as a break-in point. When you heat the room (with forced air), it will pressurize the room, pushing all the old air out of that vent, then as the air cools, it will pull back in the air from the other side, basically helping to perform an air exchange. If you choose to run a baseboard in there, that's fine too, it will still seep back and forth, but if you don't plan on going in the room for a couple of days, it wouldn't hurt to run a fan in there as well.

I admire your design skillz :bow:

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:

I forgot the most important part. Design updated below.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I had no intention of being able to take it with me. Essentially its a big empty spot in my master closet that the previous owners had a sauna in. I figired if done well, shouldn't be an issue come selling time.

Dan, I'm not againt wire mesh, I was just hoping for good fire protection, and kaybe more than jist smash and grab protection. As stated before, I'm on a slab. So would I be able to do a mesh ceiling, for air flow? I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the problem if a guy just kept some sort of heat source and/or dissicant in there.

a very very small vent in the ceiling and a small rv dehumidifier will do the trick inside a small room. Just do not add too much heat. I have seen a lot of condensation inside boats that did not vent and only added a heater to the inside.
this dehumidifier will work well, but probably overkill for your application. Look for one that is a similar make for half the space. It will compare to adding an incandescent bulb to the room but much more safe..
https://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Pacific ... humidifier

Divided we fall.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i bought a house with a vault/gun room already built in
6 inch concrete walls on all sides including ceiling, sitting on a slab that was poured just for this vault, rest of the house is on a foundation

heavy duty metal door

previous owner's gun rack

i have just a small safe heater plugged in and inside the safe, rest of the room is heated by a regular light bulb that is always on.
no humidity issues from September up to today

no jumper vent either :peep:

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I forgot the most important part. Design updated below.

:bigsmile: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next