Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

Change of address

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:21 pm

I just moved from Snohomish Co.to Whatcom Co.
Is it required to change the address on my CPL before the next renewal?

Re: Change of address

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Bxc53 wrote:I just moved from Snohomish Co.to Whatcom Co.
Is it required to change the address on my CPL before the next renewal?

Not for your WA CPL. However, if you also have an Oregon CHL you have to do it right away.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Nope.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:27 pm

On a side note, a buddy at work with a CPL got a "Deny" buying a 10/22. He sent the ATF a letter asking why and they told him it's because his address on his DL doesn't match his actual residence address....he had moved and not changed it.

WTF?

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:21 pm

usrifle wrote:On a side note, a buddy at work with a CPL got a "Deny" buying a 10/22. He sent the ATF a letter asking why and they told him it's because his address on his DL doesn't match his actual residence address....he had moved and not changed it.

WTF?

You have to change your DL within 10 days. Not your CPL.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/addresschange.html
You have 10 days after you move to change your address on your driver license or ID card.
There’s no cost to update your address. There is an additional fee for getting a new card with your updated address on it.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:24 pm

You are required to register your new address in WA with DOL within 10 days of moving.
Ya, probably invalidates DL if you don't.

Don't see anything about CPL, but have heard of some FFL's that won't accept it if different address.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.205

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

Everyplace I asked, DOL, King County Sheriff's Office, and South Sound 911 said address doesn't matter. Nor does last name if you get married and change your last name (my wife's). Some dealers might balk at that... especially since the license number will likely be different. However, address shouldn't matter at all.

As for your address on your driver's license, the dealer should have caught that and made you show a government issued document or first class mail from a government agency with your current physical address. It's required by the ATF for proof of residency.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm

All I can tell you is that's the reply he got in writing from the ATF and why he was denied. :popcorn:

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07 pm

You are required to change your DL address within 10 days by law, and your vehicle registration address. www.dol.wa.gov free. CPL, when you renew.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Guntrader wrote:You are required to register your new address in WA with DOL within 10 days of moving.
Ya, probably invalidates DL if you don't.

Don't see anything about CPL, but have heard of some FFL's that won't accept it if different address.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.205

Cabelas doesn't care about adress on CPL, as long as address on DL is updated on DOL website.
Some FFL's won't even accept a "vertical DL" even though the buyer is actually over 21.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 am

usrifle wrote:All I can tell you is that's the reply he got in writing from the ATF and why he was denied. :popcorn:

Something is very wrong there and makes no sense.
The FBI (they do the background checks and run NICS, not the ATF, and it's the FBI that gives the reasons for the denial) doesn't get your address when the information is submitted. Just the state of residence.
Was it a handgun and was he a resident of the state he was trying to buy it in? Out of state license or address? Even then, the FBI wouldn't know unless the dealer replied with a different state of residence when asked the question.
Post a reply