Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: what did you cook today thread

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm

No pictures, I'm afraid, but yesterday we hosted 15 people. I turned 2 pork shoulders in to chorizo-spiced pulled pork by cutting into chunks, applying rub and resting, then browning and braising in dos equis. I also did some chicken thighs sous-vide, and seared them in chicken fat. These were the protein choices for the tacos/burritos.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm

WanderingWalrus wrote:No pictures, I'm afraid, but yesterday we hosted 15 people. I turned 2 pork shoulders in to chorizo-spiced pulled pork by cutting into chunks, applying rub and resting, then browning and braising in dos equis. I also did some chicken thighs sous-vide, and seared them in chicken fat. These were the protein choices for the tacos/burritos.

I bet your waist line is bigger than average...now I want tacos

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm

I've been hard at work making jerky on my Traeger for Christmas gift baskets. Doing some experiments with thicker cuts, sliced into strips since the butcher at my local Safeway doesn't understand the phrase: " can you slice this thin for jerky?"..... anyways, this should prove interesting...

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Today I made my semi-weekly batch of Greek yogurt, normally my breakfasts, and promptly used almost all of it for chicken chipotle.

I regularly get "pollo chipotle" at Mexican restaurants, and it's damn good stuff but I've never tried making it before. Well, I have a potluck at work tomorrow so I went for it all . . . a single batch for home, and a quadruple batch for work!

Here's the quadruple batch, which perfectly filled up one large crockpot:

And here are some of the main ingredients: chicken, onions, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and a buttload of cheater minced Costco garlic:

Good shit. If anyone wants to try it, here's the recipe that I (mostly) followed:
Creamy Chipotle Chicken

If anyone has a similar recipe they recommend, I'd love to see it!

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 pm

It's been a while since I contributed, so here we go.

I used Spam. It's not a thing I'd eaten before a year or so ago, and I finally have a recipe that's not Spam musubi, although, to be fair, it's not that far off, also being Hawaiian influenced. I made Spam and kimchi fried rice, with a poached egg.

You cook most of the things separately and then combine them. Cook the rice first, and let cool. Then fry the spam, put it to one side. Cook onion and kimchi, add the spam and mix, then put that all to one side. Fry half the rice, then fry the other half of the rice. Add the first half of the rice, some green onion and garlic. Combine those, then add the rest back in. Combine those, and then add the kimchi juice and toss to combine. Top with an egg cooked to your liking. I poached them this time.

More detailed recipe is here.

(Yes, mine has bell pepper in, too).

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Lobster Tails

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Bacon wrapped chicken breast W/ jalapeno and cheddar jack cheese, with asparagus.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:28 am

Tonight I.... burnt frozen french fries...... I hang my head in shame....

Here I am, a certified culinarian, and I just rendered an already inedible preprocessed food more inedible......

In truth, I got distracted moving stuff into the garage and forgot entirely that I'd put a tray of fries in for the kiddos.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:36 am

Captain90s wrote:Tonight I.... burnt frozen french fries...... I hang my head in shame....

Here I am, a certified culinarian, and I just rendered an already inedible preprocessed food more inedible......

In truth, I got distracted moving stuff into the garage and forgot entirely that I'd put a tray of fries in for the kiddos.

Look at it this way...you saved the children :thumbsup2:

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:38 am

Captain90s wrote:Tonight I.... burnt frozen french fries...... I hang my head in shame....

My mom once set water on fire. Shit happens.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 am

MadPick wrote:Today I made my semi-weekly batch of Greek yogurt, normally my breakfasts, and promptly used almost all of it for chicken chipotle.

I regularly get "pollo chipotle" at Mexican restaurants, and it's damn good stuff but I've never tried making it before. Well, I have a potluck at work tomorrow so I went for it all . . . a single batch for home, and a quadruple batch for work!

Good shit. If anyone wants to try it, here's the recipe that I (mostly) followed:
Creamy Chipotle Chicken

If anyone has a similar recipe they recommend, I'd love to see it!

Wow just saw this. This looks amazing. I think we'll try this at home soon. Thank you Steve.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:06 am

Got a 16+# brisket on the smoker meow.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:22 pm

a bunch of ribs

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Jagerbomber35 wrote:Got a 16+# brisket on the smoker meow.

So how did the brisket turn out?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Smoked turkey breast again.
Post a reply