Want / Need a feature added? Have a great idea you would like to share with us? Do so here!
Post a reply

** WaGuns Server Migration - COMPLETE

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 am

IT'S HAPPENED!!

IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU ARE ON THE NEW SERVER!! :thumbsup2:

On Monday evening, we plan on performing the site migration to our own server. This work is done by the host, so we will be in a queue for the task to be performed sometime that evening. Because of that, we are choosing to DISABLE the board at 9pm on 1/8/18, so that when they snag the data, we won't lose any posts, members etc.

The site will be down until sometime Tuesday AM. Once we have confirmed that the migration was successful, we will point the domain to the new server, and we will re-activate the site on the new server (keeping the old site disabled). That process can take a couple hours until your internet knows that we moved.

Failsafe: If for some reason, something went awry, then we will just re-activate the board Tuesday AM on the old server and try again on another date.

I plan on keeping this thread updated as we get closer to the big moving day.

This is pretty big for us. For a few years, we have been outgrowing our current home, but have been reluctant to invest in our own VPS. Because of the amazing generosity of our members, we are finally able to comfortably make this plunge. Having our own server will open up many mew options to help WaGuns grow, and to help members navigate/use the site.

So, THANK YOU ALL, for helping us get to this point of needing a new server, and THANK YOU SITE SUPPORTERS and our ADVERTISERS for paying for it! :bigsmile:

Re: ** WaGuns Server Migration - 1/8/18 @ 9pm **

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:46 am

Withdrawal, even though its just a few hours.............

Gonna be tough.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 am

Will Methadone be passed out to the members to handle those few hours?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am

Server migration. What could go wrong?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 am

Goddamit, now I have to spend time with my family.......

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 am

Fear not fellow WaJunkies, our facebook will still be operational.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am

Massivedesign wrote:Fear not fellow WaJunkies, our facebook will still be operational.

Not sure what that facebook is you speak of. :facepalm2:

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:Fear not fellow WaJunkies, our facebook will still be operational.

Not sure what that facebook is you speak of. :facepalm2:

It's a supplemental website to Instagram for becoming a model. If you'd like I can sign you up and forward a few profiles for you to model yourself after.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 am

I recommend that right now, you go update the DNS records, and change the TTL to 1 minute, or whatever the shortest possible is. That way when you make changes on Tuesday, they will take effect almost immediately.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:08 pm

So we taking bets? what odds we running? Is Vegas running the point spread?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm

See you bitches summer 2019

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Can we blame a Nigerian Prince if this doesn't work?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm

snozzberries wrote:I recommend that right now, you go update the DNS records, and change the TTL to 1 minute, or whatever the shortest possible is. That way when you make changes on Tuesday, they will take effect almost immediately.

I'm serious about this BTW in case you don't believe me. Right now your name server, ns1.rmcgirr83.org, has the TTL set to 1 day. This means that after you make your DNS change, it won't necessarily take effect for 24 hours. You'll change the DNS record from pointing to the old IP, to the new IP, and nothing will happen for 24 hours. The site will be down for 24 hours after you think it's ready to go.

If you drop the TTL to 1 minute, then theoretically any changes you make will take effect 1 minute later. I say theoretically, because when you query for the correct IP address, you probably hit a different server, like comcast or centurylink or googles DNS servers. They query the name server that is actually authoritative for the domain, and cache the results. They might ignore the TTL you set though, and use their own.

In the picture below, you can see I ask the authoritative name server about www.waguns.org, and see the TTL is set to 1 day. Then I ask google (8.8.8.8), and they agree it's set to 1 day.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

errrr wut

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

When you ask your GPS "Give me directions to MadPicks house.", it translates "MadPicks House" into 1600 Nowhere Street, Seattle WA 99999.

When you tell your web browser "go to www.waguns.org", the DNS server translates that into an IP address, 69.73.172.49.

The DNS server caches that entry for 24 hours (TTL), so it doesn't have to look it up all the time.

If you shorten the TTL to 1 minute, then every minute, it will ask again for the right address.

So when you move www.waguns.org from the old VPS to the new dedicated server, and change the DNS record to point to the new IP, your web browser will immediately get the new IP, and won't get a stale record for 24 hours.
Post a reply