FIGHT It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:54 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Best Coffee 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Fife (Teaching near Maple Valley)
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Posts: 629
Real Name: Curtis
Pablo wrote:
Two words. Brasil sock.

Whaaat? Surely you don't mean filtering your coffee through your Brazilian socks?!

_________________
Adventure Protection: Women-only basic protection and firearm instruction
Follow us on Facebook
Or join us for a class!


Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 18001
Real Name: Paco X
Rutilate wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Two words. Brasil sock.

Whaaat? Surely you don't mean filtering your coffee through your Brazilian socks?!

Not human socks but rather cloth filter somewhat in the shape of a tube sock. Best coffee.

_________________
“Individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts”
I am a gun owner. I am stereotyped.


Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38421
Real Name: Steve
:rofl9:
Rutilate wrote:
These people are disqualified from commenting:
  • Anyone making cowboy coffee
  • Anyone using an automatic espresso machine
  • Anyone who finds anything from Starbucks palatable (unless they go to the Roastery)
  • Anyone who puts sugar or cream in their coffee!


:cussing:

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:57 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 18001
Real Name: Paco X
What about a moka pot?

_________________
“Individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts”
I am a gun owner. I am stereotyped.


Last edited by Pablo on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Fife (Teaching near Maple Valley)
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Posts: 629
Real Name: Curtis
Well, ok. As long as you aren’t straining through your socks! :-)

_________________
Adventure Protection: Women-only basic protection and firearm instruction
Follow us on Facebook
Or join us for a class!


Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Camano Island
Joined: Wed Jan 9, 2013
Posts: 715
Rutilate wrote:
Heh. the "best coffee" is wasted on you troglodytes! :ROFLMAO:

"Best Coffee" is a function of bean varietal, growing elevation/climate, processing method, roasting process, age of bean post-roasting, and preparation method.
These people are disqualified from commenting:
  • Anyone making cowboy coffee
  • Anyone using an automatic espresso machine
  • Anyone who finds anything from Starbucks palatable (unless they go to the Roastery)
  • Anyone who puts sugar or cream in their coffee!


If you want really, really good coffee, go ask for a pour-over at Olympia Coffee in Tacoma or Olympia. Or, if you're cool, come over and I'll make you some great coffee that is sweet enough to not need sugar to mask the ugly burned out taste.

:yes:

I know a little about coffee..... been roasting artisan coffee for 20 years. There is a saying in the specialty coffee industry "crop to cup"..... ever step matters. If you want the "best coffee", buy coffee from a small roaster who focuses on quality.

IMO the best coffee is a pour over (chemical free paper filter and filtered water heated in a kettle... bring to a boil and pull off the stove.... wait ~30 seconds and then pour... your pour should be ~ 3 minutes. Too fast your grind is too course, too slow it's too fine. The coffee should be 3 - 30 days from when it was roasted for best flavor. Ground just before prep.

I've tried every coffee prep out there. Chemex, vac-pot, drip, cowboy, cold brew, aeropress, turkish, pods and a whole lot of combinations of the above... and a basic ceramic cone with paper filter is the best.

As for espresso, I prefer a lever machine.... hence the name leverhead coffee. The non-linear spring pulls a better shot than a pump driven espresso machine. More control and way less expensive and little maintenance.

As for acidity, 3 things drive acidity.
1) the bean. When I cup (taste) coffee I roast a bunch of samples and taste them. I look for lower acidity coffee.
2) the darker the roast the more acidity you pull out of the bean
3) prep. the higher the pressure (e.g. espresso) the more acidity in the cup.... so espresso should start with a low acidity coffee.

As Rutilate said sweetness is in the bean. Natural processed green coffee has more sweetness than washed, but some folks don't like really fruity coffees, I do. And if over roasted you never will taste the sweetness. Your roaster will either pull the sweetness out of the bean or burn it off. There is a balance of roasting to pull more complex flavors out of a bean.... not too sweet, not too roasted. Elevation where it's grown matters too. Higher grown coffee is more dense and can take a darker roast without tasting burned. Low grown is typically harder to roast because it's easy to put too much heat to it.

Coffee from different regions have different flavor profiles. Ethiopia is very "fruity"... blueberry, strawberry, etc. Mexico chocolate, other central American lemon, lime and other fruit. Sumatra earthy. I sometimes blend to marry fruit with chocolate, but most of the time I choose green coffee that has a complex flavor profile that needs nothing, so most of my coffees are single origin (from one farm)

If you are up North, stop by and I too will make you a great coffee.

_________________
http://www.leverheadcoffee.com


Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Fife (Teaching near Maple Valley)
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Posts: 629
Real Name: Curtis
Ok, color me impressed. This guy knows his shit!

milowebailey wrote:
Rutilate wrote:
Heh. the "best coffee" is wasted on you troglodytes! :ROFLMAO:

"Best Coffee" is a function of bean varietal, growing elevation/climate, processing method, roasting process, age of bean post-roasting, and preparation method.
These people are disqualified from commenting:
  • Anyone making cowboy coffee
  • Anyone using an automatic espresso machine
  • Anyone who finds anything from Starbucks palatable (unless they go to the Roastery)
  • Anyone who puts sugar or cream in their coffee!


If you want really, really good coffee, go ask for a pour-over at Olympia Coffee in Tacoma or Olympia. Or, if you're cool, come over and I'll make you some great coffee that is sweet enough to not need sugar to mask the ugly burned out taste.

:yes:

I know a little about coffee..... been roasting artisan coffee for 20 years. There is a saying in the specialty coffee industry "crop to cup"..... ever step matters. If you want the "best coffee", buy coffee from a small roaster who focuses on quality.

IMO the best coffee is a pour over (chemical free paper filter and filtered water heated in a kettle... bring to a boil and pull off the stove.... wait ~30 seconds and then pour... your pour should be ~ 3 minutes. Too fast your grind is too course, too slow it's too fine. The coffee should be 3 - 30 days from when it was roasted for best flavor. Ground just before prep.

I've tried every coffee prep out there. Chemex, vac-pot, drip, cowboy, cold brew, aeropress, turkish, pods and a whole lot of combinations of the above... and a basic ceramic cone with paper filter is the best.

As for espresso, I prefer a lever machine.... hence the name leverhead coffee. The non-linear spring pulls a better shot than a pump driven espresso machine. More control and way less expensive and little maintenance.

As for acidity, 3 things drive acidity.
1) the bean. When I cup (taste) coffee I roast a bunch of samples and taste them. I look for lower acidity coffee.
2) the darker the roast the more acidity you pull out of the bean
3) prep. the higher the pressure (e.g. espresso) the more acidity in the cup.... so espresso should start with a low acidity coffee.

As Rutilate said sweetness is in the bean. Natural processed green coffee has more sweetness than washed, but some folks don't like really fruity coffees, I do. And if over roasted you never will taste the sweetness. Your roaster will either pull the sweetness out of the bean or burn it off. There is a balance of roasting to pull more complex flavors out of a bean.... not too sweet, not too roasted. Elevation where it's grown matters too. Higher grown coffee is more dense and can take a darker roast without tasting burned. Low grown is typically harder to roast because it's easy to put too much heat to it.

Coffee from different regions have different flavor profiles. Ethiopia is very "fruity"... blueberry, strawberry, etc. Mexico chocolate, other central American lemon, lime and other fruit. Sumatra earthy. I sometimes blend to marry fruit with chocolate, but most of the time I choose green coffee that has a complex flavor profile that needs nothing, so most of my coffees are single origin (from one farm)

If you are up North, stop by and I too will make you a great coffee.

_________________
Adventure Protection: Women-only basic protection and firearm instruction
Follow us on Facebook
Or join us for a class!


Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 2045
I haven't done this "pour over" method yet, but after trying a bunch of other stuff the last two weeks, Im back to my press. I missed it.


Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:21 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 2045
Oh yeah, last week I got a few flavors of the "Peets" mentioned in here. Decent stuff so far.

I seen it was on sale at Safeway last night for $5.99 a bag.


Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:23 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Camano Island
Joined: Wed Jan 9, 2013
Posts: 715
This is my go to setup.... less the glass carafe... for under $20 it even includes a few filters....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA2J06/re ... UTF8&psc=1

_________________
http://www.leverheadcoffee.com


Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Monte
Joined: Thu Sep 6, 2012
Posts: 6399
Real Name: Dan
milowebailey wrote:
This is my go to setup.... less the glass carafe... for under $20 it even includes a few filters....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA2J06/re ... UTF8&psc=1


You read my mind. Thanks!


Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: central wa
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011
Posts: 3257
reusable filter, only $4 more:
https://coffeegator.com/collections/pou ... ble-filter


Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 2045
quantsuff wrote:


And NO plastic. I like that. Plastic is the devil.


Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.695s | 14 Queries | GZIP : On ]