Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Local blueberry farm has 10k lbs worth of frozen blueberries surplused because the schools are shut down for the rest of the year. Bought 11lbs for $26 turned about 2.5lbs into jam yumm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert Einstein

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought there was someone in the Bellingham, Ferndale area on here that sold 25-30lb boxes as well. Always wanted to get some.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

usrifle wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I have a couple Chuck eye Steaks seasoned and ready to BBQ.
Chuck eye is the 5 Rib, the first 4 ribs are where the Ribeye comes from. Damn good Steaks for 1/2 the Money of a Ribeye per lb. :thumbsup2:

Would you stop talking about shit like this? These are supposed to be hidden gem! Been buying the for years. An uncle introduced me to them. Ask the butcher every damn time we are at the store. Killer cut thats not priced ridiculous.

Well, i could have deleted it, but you quoted me! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't reverse sear them, just used the old Weber Kettle and cooked them Medium Rare. They were damn good!

..and that is some damn fine looking Spaghetti! :bow:

Are chuck eyes leaner than a rib eye? I might have to look into that if they are....

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Chuck eye is the 5 Rib, the first 4 ribs are where the Ribeye comes from. Damn good Steaks for 1/2 the Money of a Ribeye per lb. :thumbsup2:

Would you stop talking about shit like this? These are supposed to be hidden gem! Been buying the for years. An uncle introduced me to them. Ask the butcher every damn time we are at the store. Killer cut thats not priced ridiculous.

I didn't reverse sear them, just used the old Weber Kettle and cooked them Medium Rare. They were damn good!

Are chuck eyes leaner than a rib eye? I might have to look into that if they are....

Nope, not really. They have a slightly beefier taste too.
A very nice cut at a lower price. Use a liberal amount of Kosher Salt and Ground Pepper before they hit grill and enjoy.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^ This is why you treat meat like that, like you treat fight club, god damn it!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I actually prefer chuck eye over ribeye most times though don’t get me wrong I love ribeye

Albert Einstein

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If jukk0u can put sashimi in the cooking thread, then I can put vegetable prep here too, right?!! :thumbsup2:

I absolutely love garlic, and I like to use a lot of it when I cook. Garlic powder ain't good enough. Fresh garlic is ideal, but I hate the effort of prepping it (yeah, I know the tricks), and even worse I hate needing to plan ahead and have it on hand but not rotten.

The big jar of minced garlic from Costco is a winner in the convenience department, but it's pretty tasteless. You can put spoonfuls and spoonfuls of it in your dish; it doesn't add any garlic flavor, but then you have little whitish bits floating around that look odd.

So, enter my new favorite technique. Buy a bag of peeled cloves from Safeway, $6 for one pound:

Dump it into a dish:

Press like a madman with the world's best garlic press, and get this:

This Kuhn Rikon garlic press is a champ. I bought it some years back after reading a lot of reviews; it really grinds through the garlic. I did that whole pound without stopping to pick any pieces of skin or anything else out of it, I just kept pressing.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, then spread out the garlic:

After it's frozen, put it in a Ziploc bag, toss it in the freezer, and then pick out whatever you need, whenever you need it. :thumbsup2:

I've been doing the same with ginger, though I'm still dicing that with a knife in bulk . . . would love to find an easier way.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^ yep that's my way too. Costco garlic as you said has a little taste but easy to just toss in. and the powder....I always seem to add ALOT with little taste

ginger,,,,use a spoon and scrape it. microplane grater or plane grate it, freeze whatever you don't use after

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
ginger,,,,use a spoon and scrape it. microplane grater or plane grate it, freeze whatever you don't use after

Ah yes . . . I've done the spoon trick and liked it, but I keep forgetting about it! And yeah, I think I did use the Microplane last time and it worked well.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cash and Carry is the place for that. About 3 different choices of brand, organic or not, california or not etc. Like $18 for 4-5lbs.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Cash and Carry is the place for that. About 3 different choices of brand, organic or not, california or not etc. Like $18 for 4-5lbs.

Good tip. :thumbsup2:

That's a lot of garlic!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:18 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

That's a lot of garlic!

I think it was 3-4 superbowls back a neighbor bought the giant whole cloves pack from Costco. Sauteed them in butter and lightly salted. They were delicious! Keri and I must have eaten 20-30 of them each. Special note on eating that much garlic; gas. GAAAAAASSS!!!

We spent the whole next day just laughing at each other and having an epic farty party! Even the dog got up and left the room. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
If jukk0u can put sashimi in the cooking thread, then I can put vegetable prep here too, right?!! :thumbsup2:

I absolutely love garlic, and I like to use a lot of it when I cook. Garlic powder ain't good enough. Fresh garlic is ideal, but I hate the effort of prepping it (yeah, I know the tricks), and even worse I hate needing to plan ahead and have it on hand but not rotten.

The big jar of minced garlic from Costco is a winner in the convenience department, but it's pretty tasteless. You can put spoonfuls and spoonfuls of it in your dish; it doesn't add any garlic flavor, but then you have little whitish bits floating around that look odd.

So, enter my new favorite technique. Buy a bag of peeled cloves from Safeway, $6 for one pound:

Dump it into a dish:

Press like a madman with the world's best garlic press, and get this:

This Kuhn Rikon garlic press is a champ. I bought it some years back after reading a lot of reviews; it really grinds through the garlic. I did that whole pound without stopping to pick any pieces of skin or anything else out of it, I just kept pressing.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, then spread out the garlic:

After it's frozen, put it in a Ziploc bag, toss it in the freezer, and then pick out whatever you need, whenever you need it. :thumbsup2:

I've been doing the same with ginger, though I'm still dicing that with a knife in bulk . . . would love to find an easier way.

I’m digging the hell out of this. I recall hearing similar years ago, but I guess it never registered.

I have a new bag of fresh from Costco, and everything I’ve pulled out is rotten.

Resorted to granulated garlic, which has slightly more flavor than ground...

Great idea!

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

That's a lot of garlic!

I think it was 3-4 superbowls back a neighbor bought the giant whole cloves pack from Costco. Sauteed them in butter and lightly salted. They were delicious! Keri and I must have eaten 20-30 of them each. Special note on eating that much garlic; gas. GAAAAAASSS!!!

We spent the whole next day just laughing at each other and having an epic farty party! Even the dog got up and left the room. :ROFLMAO:

Keri is a lady! How dare you say that a kut her. I refuse to believe she had anything to do with a "farty party" as you say. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

That's a lot of garlic!

Keri is a lady! How dare you say that a kut her. I refuse to believe she had anything to do with a "farty party" as you say. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Catch you a nice garlic fart cropdust as she walks by and get back to me about how much of a "lady" she is.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 277  Next