Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 

usrifle wrote:
We'll, I have to say that was some tasty Meatloaf! :thumbsup2: Props to Olydemon (and JMB, he mentioned it first) for motivating me to try it, it was damn good with mashed taters and herb and butter rice.

I'm looking forward to the Sammie's tomorrow. :bigsmile:

Nicely done! I'm even more fired up to put my loaf together today to cook tomorrow now....
There is something to be said about going light on the seasonings.... too many people over do it, and at some point, you just lose the flavor of the meat. I like to go light on the internal seasoning and heavy on the rub myself.

Be sure to try blackening the loaf slabs in bacon grease for a sammy ---- you'll thank me later :bigsmile:

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 am

So.... I prepped up my meatloaf today. Don't bother looking if you're not interested.....
Spoiler: show
1.5# 80/20 burger and 1/2# Jimmy Dean sausage -- a tube of Toll House crackers + bread crumbs up to 1 1/2 cup - half an (walla walla) onion browned - half a red pepper - ~3/4 cup chopped black olives - 2 eggs - 1/2 cup milk - ~1/4c ketchup - ~2 T coarse ground dijon mustard - ~3T whoosty ---- all mixed up. I got it all mixed.... thats when I remembered I was gonna put cheese in --- ~3/4 cup colby jack mixed in.... Soooo messy, but I think its gonna be worth it!

Mixed and in the pan....
Attachment:
20210728_194435.jpg

Into the freezer for ~2 hours to stiffen it up....
Attachment:
20210728_194510.jpg

Attachment:
20210728_194653.jpg

Rubbed well and setting back in the fridge....
Attachment:
20210728_194954.jpg

I'm debating whether I want to smear it with mustard and try to get a thick bark.... I'll decide tomorrow....
I wouldn't even be bummed if I let it sit in the fridge for another day ---- prep is everything!

I've seen one (maybe two) vids that say to freeze the loaf solid and put the frozen loaf on the smoker --- they had bacon on the outside --- and cook it longer and slower.... seems like a good way to get a heavy bark and still have a medium center..... I'm going to reevaluate in the morning..... I do have bacon....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a recipe with Cheese in it, i might try that. With all the binders in the mix, why the pan? You can shape it easily into a brick without a pan. Just easier with a "Mold"?

The other thing i saw when mixing it all is don't over work it, it will get "tough" or "dense".

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:44 pm

The problem with the cheese is you really have to put quite a bit of cheese in it to make a difference - 3/4- 1 cup for sure (with 1.5/.5# mix) - anything less is kinda lost....
The pan is to shape and allow fridge/freezer use so that applying a rub is easy.... and after its cooked, store it in the pan.

I've seen lots of warnings about 'over working' and 'too dense'..... the fact is the more stuff you put in it, the more you have to work it --- and if its too loose, it just falls apart on the smoker or when you cut it.... If you are going for leftovers and sammys, a dense loaf will not bother you. Every time I've smoke a loaf - straight off the grill it just falls apart --- next day - NICE (thin sammy thick) slabs.... do a couple of more and you will see.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm

You were lucky in that you split your mix into three loafs.... 1-1.5 # loafs are just about perfect --- mine is pushing ~2.5#.... It would have been easy to add more filler and make two nice loaves. My BiL likes to do a monster 3-4# 'meat baby' loaf..... there is a size where things go really well --- and if you go too big, it turns to 'dammit, I should have thought ahead'......

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll stick to smaller Loafs. :bigsmile: I really liked the flavor of the one's i made, just a gentle smoke flavor. I'm a traditionalist with Meatloaf, no BBQ seasonings, rubs etc. It's just a personal preferance.

As long as it has a crust, i'm good with it.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by NWGunner on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Tonight's meal mostly prepared by the oldest kid. Smoked Meatloaf on the kettle.

The results were pretty good. I struggled a bit holding 325-350 degrees. It wanted to run off a bit over at 400-420, even with the vents closed down. I don't use the slow N sear like they have in the video below, but do something similar with the Weber charcoal baskets screwed together in the same shape/size. One difference may be that my setup has vent holes and lets more in than their setup does.

We used some Pecan wood for the smoke. I usually like cherry, but wanted to try something different. Overall the smoke flavor wasn't too overpowering, although the old lady didn't care for the smoke as much on this cook.

Attachment:
20210726_194520.jpg

Attachment:
20210726_200357.jpg

This video was our guide (Mostly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5e9iAGOeKM

I think your Son nailed it. I can see it's not "dense", it still is Tender and breaks apart. The Crust and glaze are spot on, you and your Son should be proud of that Loaf! :bow:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
olydemon wrote:
Tonight's meal mostly prepared by the oldest kid. Smoked Meatloaf on the kettle.

The results were pretty good. I struggled a bit holding 325-350 degrees. It wanted to run off a bit over at 400-420, even with the vents closed down. I don't use the slow N sear like they have in the video below, but do something similar with the Weber charcoal baskets screwed together in the same shape/size. One difference may be that my setup has vent holes and lets more in than their setup does.

We used some Pecan wood for the smoke. I usually like cherry, but wanted to try something different. Overall the smoke flavor wasn't too overpowering, although the old lady didn't care for the smoke as much on this cook.

Attachment:
20210726_194520.jpg

Attachment:
20210726_200357.jpg

This video was our guide (Mostly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5e9iAGOeKM

I think your Son nailed it. I can see it's not "dense", it still is Tender and breaks apart. The Crust and glaze are spot on, you and your Son should be proud of that Loaf! :bow:

Thanks! I'll let him know a seasoned veteran of the BBQ wars approves....

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am
Profile WWW

So.... after letting my meatloaf meld in the fridge for ~20 hours, on the grill/smoker she went....
I tried a new set up I've been thinking about for a while now to get a more 'indirect' heat on the grill -- getting the meat 2-3" off the grates so it is not so close to the burners.... Also get the meat up high in the lid where all the smoke lives :bigsmile: Sis gave me shit about it looking like a brick....

Attachment:
20210729_172038.jpg

I let it roll on the lowest setting (one burner on absolute low) for ~1.5 hours --- lid temp was just shy of 200 - rolling with my standard apple/cherry/pecan smoke til it hit ~95 IT....

Attachment:
20210729_182853.jpg

At that point, I basted it with bacon grease and raised the temp to 300-325 (both burners on absolute low). My theory was it would add some good flavor and help form more bark.... It worked great!!! NICE bark!!! And look at all the cheese 'zits' on the surface!!!

Attachment:
20210729_191846.jpg

I glazed it with a simple mix of ketchup and mustard mix (because I was too lazy to open a new bottle of bbq sauce) at ~145 IT.....

Attachment:
20210729_194923.jpg

Took it out to 160 IT to set the glaze (actually, got stuck talking to my parents on the phone so it went to 165+) and called it good :thumbsup2:

Attachment:
20210729_200317.jpg

I had noticed that there was quite a bit of cheese dripping from the bottom.... felt good that I had the rack above the grates so I could reclaim some of that tasty goodness :bigsmile: I was surprised to see that the loaf had actually settled into the rack by ~1/2" or more and basically cooked itself around the rack - thats the first time that has happened.... I had to use a spatula to cut/scrape the loaf free from the rack.... Kinda bummed about that... but it did leave me a nice little pile of super tasty bark and burnt cheese as a treat while I let the loaf rest :thumbsup2:

Attachment:
20210729_201246.jpg

Standard corn and instant mashies to go with a tasty loaf!

Attachment:
20210729_202130.jpg

Gotta say --- best loaf yet!!! Can't wait for left overs and sammies...
Basting it with bacon grease was just such a killer move --- I think next time I'll plan on a double basting - one earlier in the low temp after the bark just starts to form and then again when I crank up the heat. I'm gonna have to look --- I think I still have a nice sheet of SS perf'd sheet in the garage that could be purposed to keep the loaf from entangling with the rack next time....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best brick yet! :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. That looks really good!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks exceptional JMB, well done! :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks! It was so rewarding to get a real NICE bark instead of just color and a skin -- and getting the glaze to REALLY set was just icing on the cake! I've always been foiled by using too much glaze/too many applications and not having the grill hot enough to set it - or glazing too late and 'temping out' before it sets.

I highly recommend the bacon grease coating --- I'm positive I will NEVER do another loaf again without it! I was kicking myself this morning when I realized that my neighbor had picked up a can of Wagyu tallow --- I'm gonna have to bum 2-3 tablespoons from him for the next one.....

I honestly think the whole spiel about 'not overworking' the loaf is BS --- I worked this one pretty good, and it turned out fine - the fact that it mushed in the rack and 'flowed' from a brick into a nice smooth pillow kinda proves it. And I'm thinking using enough filler has something to do with it too. I've seen the 'not overworking' thing several times with my BiL - and I've done it once or twice too - where the burger/sausage and the filling are not mixed well --- thats when things really start to fall apart.

I recall seeing a vid where this guy would actually put the FROZEN loafs on the smoker.... kinda counter intuitive, but I think that would build up a spectacular bark! Granted, you would definitely want to keep the loaf size pretty small with that.... I'm thinking that would work like the 'put an ice cube in the burger' technique. So many more things to try.....

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:32 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Awesome setup there! Looks like it came out great.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

something new, deer burgers with taco seasoning..

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 275  Next