Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:00 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
olydemon wrote:
The results came out really good. Bones pulled out with no effort, the way we like them here. Maybe next time I will back off the initial cook a bit to keep the meat on the bones a bit more. It was 50/50 split as to what ones people liked better. Wife and youngest liked the wrapped/sauced ones. Myself and older kid liked the unwrapped ones.

Great test. :thumbsup2:

I've decided that the hell with what the "experts" say, I like my ribs falling-off-the-bone and with as much fat rendered out as possible. I had ribs today that a friend made; she cooked the hell out of them in the Instant Pot; when she removed them, one rack fell apart into multiple pieces. Then she very gingerly got them onto the gas grill for a few minutes, with some barbecue sauce slathered on them, and cooked on the sauce for a few minutes. And they were damned good. thumbsup

Thanks! We had a big rib BBQ at work a while back. They used the Yoder pellet grill cooked by the "Expert" in the group. I found them to be really terrible... I guess some pros like them to be leathery... not me.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tater tot casserole ninja foodie

hamburger sausage, veggies cream of mushroom or chicken tater totes and colby cheese

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, Chris. That's some serious comfort food right there! Looks good. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:07 pm

Trying to work thru the freezer.... had sliced some 'pork cutlets' from a loin 1-2 months ago that I decided needed to go.... I had originally planned to bread and pan fry these ~3/8-1/2" thick chops, but it was to hot yesterday to stand over a hot pan, so on the grill they went for teriyaki pork. Found a bottle of Lawrys sesame ginger 30 minute marinade in the fridge that needs to be used up --- soaked for ~1.5 hours.... realizing that the marinade was still there because I was never really impressed with the amount of flavor left after cooking, I decided to sprinkle some SPG on them for extra seasoning right before they hit the grill. Was planning to just grill them hot and quick, but thought to myself that that would just dry them out and turn them to leather.... Fired up the smoke tube and let them sit in smoke @200 for ~45-60 minutes....
Attachment:
20210804_193811.jpg

I was kinda bummed there weren't any grill marks, but happy with the color they had picked up! WOW!!!! Those turned out fantastic! Perfectly cooked to MR/M and still juicy! Fork cut tender. I was planning on drizzling some teriyaki on them, but it wasn't needed - there was just enough flavor left from the marinade to make them sweet, and the SPG was just enough for seasoning --- the juicy pork flavor really came thru. Rice with teriyaki and a salad and I was so happy with my meal. Got leftovers for tonight too!

Still have half the loin in there too that needs to go (plus another whole loin) --- thinking I'll have to slice some thicker slices for a repeat. Low and slow with smoke for the lean loins is the way to go.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Trying to work thru the freezer.... had sliced some 'pork cutlets' from a loin 1-2 months ago that I decided needed to go.... I had originally planned to bread and pan fry these ~3/8-1/2" thick chops, but it was to hot yesterday to stand over a hot pan, so on the grill they went for teriyaki pork. Found a bottle of Lawrys sesame ginger 30 minute marinade in the fridge that needs to be used up --- soaked for ~1.5 hours.... realizing that the marinade was still there because I was never really impressed with the amount of flavor left after cooking, I decided to sprinkle some SPG on them for extra seasoning right before they hit the grill. Was planning to just grill them hot and quick, but thought to myself that that would just dry them out and turn them to leather.... Fired up the smoke tube and let them sit in smoke @200 for ~45-60 minutes....
Attachment:
20210804_193811.jpg

I was kinda bummed there weren't any grill marks, but happy with the color they had picked up! WOW!!!! Those turned out fantastic! Perfectly cooked to MR/M and still juicy! Fork cut tender. I was planning on drizzling some teriyaki on them, but it wasn't needed - there was just enough flavor left from the marinade to make them sweet, and the SPG was just enough for seasoning --- the juicy pork flavor really came thru. Rice with teriyaki and a salad and I was so happy with my meal. Got leftovers for tonight too!

Still have half the loin in there too that needs to go (plus another whole loin) --- thinking I'll have to slice some thicker slices for a repeat. Low and slow with smoke for the lean loins is the way to go.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pork patty shaped like ribs MRE. Just ate the beef stick and washed it down with the orange drink.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Purple drink and main course. Cheesy potato soup before tasted odd. Normal. This thing was just a notch under McRib, but didn't find any teeth or hair. Dessert was one of the tortillers with peanus butter and blackberry fake jam. Dman need a nap.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The heat has really stunted the growth of the blackberries in my yard. Last year I made freezer jam for the first time. This year I wanted to make jelly. So I ran all the berries through a food mill to remove the seeds. I probably should have read the instructions a few times before starting this mess. But worse case scenario, I’ll have blackberry syrup. Some of the jars have set up but a few have not. I’d like to have another go at this. But the berries on the vines are in bad shape. And I don’t really think they will survive this next heat wave.
. Image

Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Safeway had some 50% off packages of Pork Country style ribs yesterday.
I grabbed one 3 pack, it was like 4 bucks. Not worth firing up the pellet grill, so in the good old Weber they went. I'll run them to 205 and pull them for a few Sammie's, and it gave me something to do.

Well, something to do besides babysitting my little savage 9 week old Golden pup. :bigsmile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
The heat has really stunted the growth of the blackberries in my yard. Last year I made freezer jam for the first time. This year I wanted to make jelly. So I ran all the berries through a food mill to remove the seeds. I probably should have read the instructions a few times before starting this mess. But worse case scenario, I’ll have blackberry syrup. Some of the jars have set up but a few have not. I’d like to have another go at this. But the berries on the vines are in bad shape. And I don’t really think they will survive this next heat wave.

Carpinito’s is near you, and they should have berries these days, and cases should be available.

There are also multiple U-pick farms around that would be even cheaper.

Lastly, Farmer’s Markets should have some...many markets list the vendors online, so you could even deal with the farms directly.

I know it’s not as cheap, or as satisfying, as freebies from your own yard; but, if you wanted to stay on top of what you’ve learned or are experimenting with, it’s a viable option.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edit wow something crazy happened.
Let me try this again

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

Carpinito’s is near you, and they should have berries these days, and cases should be available.

There are also multiple U-pick farms around that would be even cheaper.

Lastly, Farmer’s Markets should have some...many markets list the vendors online, so you could even deal with the farms directly.

I know it’s not as cheap, or as satisfying, as freebies from your own yard; but, if you wanted to stay on top of what you’ve learned or are experimenting with, it’s a viable option.

I am cheap :ROFLMAO:
Actually it was a success. Only one jar did not set up. Odd and I don’t know why. But that’s ok. My grandson likes my (reject jams/jelly) syrups ) :thumbsup2:
I should have enough berries in my yard to make another batch. And that will be enough for my family and myself.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO:

Sorry if I offended your frugal nature :wink05:

I just know when I’m tweaking recipes & fermentation projects, I like to keep at it ‘til I get it where I want it to be.

That way, it’s easier to duplicate later :bigsmile:

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
Not worth firing up the pellet grill, so in the good old Weber they went.

It wasn't worth flipping a switch, so you nursed a pile of coals for 20 minutes instead?! icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Not worth firing up the pellet grill, so in the good old Weber they went.

It wasn't worth flipping a switch, so you nursed a pile of coals for 20 minutes instead?! icon_eek

:rofl9: 20 minutes? I have been nursing those Coals for 5 hrs!

They are just about done though, and sometimes all the fussing is part of the fun. Like i had anything better to do besides watch Tucker. :bigsmile:

What a little Savage! icon_eek

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 277  Next