Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Meal Services Kits (Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, etc.) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious what folks have found. We just tried Sun Basket, and the meal's have been pretty bland. I do appreciate how the meals are packaged in paper bags rather than all loose. I have no complaints really about quality (we've only had one thing look sketchy so far) but the flavoring is pretty lacking and instructions sometimes are hard to understand.

I also saw that Thrive has a freeze dried version (which I'm sure Chuck or another rep may chime in on). My wife seems hesitant to have freeze dried for some reason. I like the 3-6 month shelf life, but would be curious to get feedback if anyone else has tried them.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We did blue Apron for a good while and liked it. We now use hello fresh and they are pretty tasty also. The meals are a little less complicated and faster to make than blue Apron. We have been going on a year now with hello fresh it has taken a huge stressor out of our life and we actually spend less money per month because we don’t eat out nearly as often. I say do it. I will be searching for a company that ships out of the northwest if can. Instead of new York or commiefornia.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried a couple different companies. Just do not like their entree choices. Always some oddball dish I've never heard of, chock full of quinoa and kale and other shit I don't like. Never something straightforward like meat loaf or pot roast. Got tired of their crap and went back to regular cooking

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whats wrong with home cooking?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Whats wrong with home cooking?

Coming up with a plan, going grocery shopping, actually cooking....all while holding a full time job with a small child and wife who has been bed ridden for a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's a recent rundown of a lot of them. Maybe pick one or two & read online reviews.

I also read PCC & Whole Foods were introducing a lineup, and some Kroger owned grocery stores have spots near the deli with pre-packaged meals similar to these.

Also, a numbe of grocery stores let you shop online, and then you just swing by the parking lot to pick up your already bagged items. Not quite the same, but cheaper.

Anyway, here's a link for some brief comparisons:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... ca-article

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've tried some of these products, but my wife and I feel you can do more for less if you buy from the store. A long time ago, when I lived by myself, I watched a lot of 'Good Eats' and other Food Network shows. My wife was big into Rachael Ray when we first got married, and lately I've been watching a lot of cooking shows online or on tv (It's Suppertime with Matty Matheson on Vice is funny to watch). Overtime you just get a feel for what works. To be honest, there are times where we haven't been to the store for a while, and my wife wants me to cook something. It is almost like I'm on an episode of Chopped from time to time. It doesn't take much to make fresh pasta from scratch and a quick sauce. Risotto is pretty easy too since the rice is just a base for whatever you want it to be. Like I said I think you can do better just cooking from scratch if you know how to cook. If cooking isn't your thing, than maybe these will be a benefit.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On thrive It's called simple plate. Most of it has the kale/quinoa crap. I'm doing the low carb thing. I'm simple. and prefer simple foods usually. Also since I'm solo it doesn't work.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We did Blue Apron for a year. We liked about 50% of the meals. Even though prep was done for you, it was still a chore to cook. We saved all of the recipe cards of the meals we liked and re-create those today. We did it to spice up our current recipe book, and it worked well for that.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Wow. I've never even heard of this concept.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]