Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 DIY Dry Aged/Wet Aged 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone use the Umai bags to wet age their beef? I'm thinking of doing this for the summer. Figured I'd give it a go and see how it worked. Anyone else give them a try?

https://umaidry.com/

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They work great for dry aging. Follow the directions and make sure that the bag is sealed well.

My only complaint is that they’re relatively expensive bags. For about the same price, you can buy a spare fridge off CL to dry age without the hassle of stuffing into a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:05 am

I came to the same conclusion, without trying one. I'd rather have a dedicated aging fridge with controlled temp and humidity and then also do some charcuterie.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zombie thread. So I have a prime rib roast sitting in an Umai bag, Still have a month to go, but I'm already seeing a change in the beef after day one. I'm excited.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
Zombie thread. So I have a prime rib roast sitting in an Umai bag, Still have a month to go, but I'm already seeing a change in the beef after day one. I'm excited.

I could googie, but you seem excited, so, I thought I'd ask.... :thumbsup2:

I've dry-aged, open air, with no bag, in the fridge....what's the bag dealio?

It's not dry-aged, is it, as I would think condensation in a sealed vessel would occur...

Would love your take & if you feel like grabbing pics at some point, that would be cool. I dig the color changes :bigsmile:

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So from what I can understand is the bag is more of a membrane than a bag. This helps the meat form that outer layer which is that protective layer for the meat. The bags use this little fiber strip on the sealed edge which helps with gas exchange. Could I age without the bag, probably. I've seen a lot of people find success with the bag system, so I thought I would give it a try.

Pic is day 2.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
So from what I can understand is the bag is more of a membrane than a bag. This helps the meat form that outer layer which is that protective layer for the meat. The bags use this little fiber strip on the sealed edge which helps with gas exchange. Could I age without the bag, probably. I've seen a lot of people find success with the bag system, so I thought I would give it a try.

Pic is day 2.

Great response, thanks!

The membrane thing makes perfect sense, and I'd you're going to do it for a month, it makes perfect sense, as it will also protect against cross-contamination with other food in the fridge.

Would be interesting to see how much weight-loss occurrs.

John Howie Steak, in Bellevue, let's you buy all kinds of aged steaks, and take them home & cook them.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Wetpaperbag wrote:

Pic is day 2.

Great response, thanks!

The membrane thing makes perfect sense, and I'd you're going to do it for a month, it makes perfect sense, as it will also protect against cross-contamination with other food in the fridge.

John Howie Steak, in Bellevue, let's you buy all kinds of aged steaks, and take them home & cook them.

How much is that per steak?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Wetpaperbag wrote:

Pic is day 2.

Great response, thanks!

How much is that per steak?

Depends on what you want... Wagyu, American Wagyu, etc., but.....they'll take all your money!

https://johnhowiesteak.com/SteakToGo#/Products

That's why I was interested in weight-loss....

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll have to weigh it after it is done, and after I cut the bark off. I started with 21 lbs of meat. I plan on taking the bark and grinding it up with some kind of beef to make burger. I'm shooting for a 30 day age, and this looks sexy tasty.

As for the John Howie take home, WOW. I'd never pay that for a steak unless it will suck me off later that night. $62 bucks for a 1lb steak! I got a dry aged 16oz NY Strip at a hole in the wall in Montana for $16, and it came with soup, salad, baked potato, and relish tray.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So here is the finished product after 34 days. Nice bark, cut clean. Got 13 steaks about an inch and a quarter in size. I did trim up that fat a bit more than what is in the pic. I also used the scrap to make burger. Mixed it together with some rib and chuck. Cooked three steaks today in a cast iron. They were delicious. Great crust and very complex beefy flavor. Tomorrow I'm going to make burgers, which should be interesting because the blade to my grinder is missing. So I used the food processor to chop the meat up instead. But I think I got a nice chop to it so that should be good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
So here is the finished product after 34 days. Nice bark, cut clean. Got 13 steaks about an inch and a quarter in size. I did trim up that fat a bit more than what is in the pic. I also used the scrap to make burger. Mixed it together with some rib and chuck. Cooked three steaks today in a cast iron. They were delicious. Great crust and very complex beefy flavor. Tomorrow I'm going to make burgers, which should be interesting because the blade to my grinder is missing. So I used the food processor to chop the meat up instead. But I think I got a nice chop to it so that should be good.

Those look fantastic, awesome color! :thumbsup2:

Did you happen to calculate weight-loss? Just curious.

For some strange reason, I had it in my head you were dry-aging individual steaks... :bigsmile:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I just did a 45 day dry age prime rib. It was good. Make sure you put it on a rack though.

This is my next adventure.
https://youtu.be/LFJAMTiUFo0

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]