Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Meat Grinders? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I debated weather I should post this in WAgrubs or guts. I chose, but it may not be right, so mods feel free to move.

We're looking for advice on meat grinders. We need something that can do bone (I assume none will do bovine bone?) for making our own raw dog food.

I know nothing. Where should I go to get smart? Where can I go to buy (preferably used)?

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Bone, I'd get a used commercial unit. Not some cheap Walmart or Cabelas Chinese junk that says it's heavy duty. Probably last a week.
I'd look at craigslist, or auctions.
See stuff like that at auctions all the time. Lots of meat places going out of business, a lot of supermarkets just order prepacked meat anymore and restaurants go out of business every day.
Or see if a restaurant supply store has demos or trade ins for sale.
Plan on grinding up a lot?

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought this was about sandwiches...….

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:

Dont try to be a gyro.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:

I'd like ham, please, since ye offering :thumbsup2:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

Dont try to be a gyro.

That's a sub par pun!

OP, I saw a commercial electric unit as well as several manual cast iron models at Second Use, a Habitat for Humanity style surplus store down on 6th Ave, Seattle a month or so ago.

SECOND USE SEATTLE
Address
3223 6th Ave S
Seattle, WA 9813

Phone
(206) 763-692

They also have a Tacoma location and both have websites you can cruise.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

joao01 wrote:
We need something that can do bone (I assume none will do bovine bone?) for making our own raw dog food.

Sorry, slightly off topic but . . . is it okay to grind up the bone? Little bits of bone won't hurt the dog?

Seems odd to me, but I don't know anything about this topic.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:
We need something that can do bone (I assume none will do bovine bone?) for making our own raw dog food.

Sorry, slightly off topic but . . . is it okay to grind up the bone? Little bits of bone won't hurt the dog?

Exceptional source of calcium and phosphorus provided the intake is monitored so the blood levels remain safe.

Softer bones like fowl are preferred over beef and lamb just for ease of grinding.

A commercial machine with substantial power can grind up anything but expect to pay for that.

There is a commercial Hobart with a 7.5hp 220V 3 phase motor on CL for $1200. about 1/5th of what it sold for new and you can get a single phase motor that will run it. Might be overkill for your needs but will make short work of a bovine femur if you cut the bones into small enough pieces.

EDIT. at any rate here ya go
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bfs/ ... 10558.html

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For some reason I'm reminded of the movie "Fargo".

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:20 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dan360 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Exceptional source of calcium and phosphorus provided the intake is monitored so the blood levels remain safe.

Softer bones like fowl are preferred over beef and lamb just for ease of grinding.

A commercial machine with substantial power can grind up anything but expect to pay for that.

There is a commercial Hobart with a 7.5hp 220V 3 phase motor on CL for $1200. about 1/5th of what it sold for new and you can get a single phase motor that will run it. Might be overkill for your needs but will make short work of a bovine femur if you cut the bones into small enough pieces.

That's a hell of a grinder, but he just wants to make dog food not make bodies disappear!

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
dan360 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

That's a hell of a grinder, but he just wants to make dog food not make bodies disappear! crab bait

shush. :bigsmile:

but seriously tho any grinder capable of making quality product will be expensive--a Blendtec blender will do fowl bone and small pork ribs, and a helluva milkshake, too.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
dan360 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

That's a hell of a grinder, but he just wants to make dog food not make bodies disappear! crab bait

but seriously tho any grinder capable of making quality product will be expensive--a Blendtec blender will do fowl bone and small pork ribs, and a helluva milkshake, too.

pork ribs is a good idea. We've though about using a vitamix to test it out.

for the other folks suggestions, I'm not in Puget Sound anymore, so used ones in the Seattle-Tacoma corridor don't do me any good.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
dan360 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

pork ribs is a good idea. We've though about using a vitamix to test it out.

for the other folks suggestions, I'm not in Puget Sound anymore, so used ones in the Seattle-Tacoma corridor don't do me any good.

Rgr that. Depending where you are in “Midwest” there are truckloads of commercial grade grinders on their CL/OfferUp/FB Marketplaces as well no doubt.

A Vitamix will do a whole chicken down into a paste that will chill up to the consistency of wet (canned) food.

You can stir in veggies after the fact as well.

Those sad little babyback pork ribs like what Applebee’s sells don’t last long in a Vitamix either.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the grinder I have...Though I remember paying less for it.

https://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasin- ... t-grinder/

I made my own dog food for awhile, and it'll handle chicken bones and other soft bones (not cow, pork, etc.). It works pretty well.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Bone, I'd get a used commercial unit. Not some cheap Walmart or Cabelas Chinese junk that says it's heavy duty. Probably last a week.
I'd look at craigslist, or auctions.
See stuff like that at auctions all the time. Lots of meat places going out of business, a lot of supermarkets just order prepacked meat anymore and restaurants go out of business every day.
Or see if a restaurant supply store has demos or trade ins for sale.
Plan on grinding up a lot?

Lots of experience with them? We have put thousands of pounds of meat through a Cabelas grinder. It still goes faster than you could feed it. Is there better out there, sure. For the money though, I'd think they are more than you need.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]