Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Gas vs. Induction Range 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife and I are in the market for a new range, looking to get people's input instead of what I can find on biased websites. We've currently got an electric range so we're all good for induction. It's currently not set up for gas, but a few estimates put it at about $900. Anyone with any preferences? Pros/Cons?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 am

I've used both, and currently have a new GE induction/electric range in my kitchen. I think both systems are great but neither is "better". Each cooks a little differently but just like any new appliance it takes a little use and practice to figure it out. I love to cook but comparing gas to electric is almost like comparing pots/pans... you have your die-hard fans of Teflon, cast iron, etc. Each has it's benefits but if you're already set up for electric I would just keep it.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 am

We went from a regular electric (cheap unit though) to gas (nat gas) and love it. We had gas already plumbed though so wasnt more than hooking it up. The heat control is awesome. Plus having a built in "griddle"
is quite nice. We use it a ton.

We have used induction a few times. Its different but works well too. Cant go wrong with either one IMO

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Efficiency of gas is much lower.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All good comments. I would add:
Induction top is very easy to clean after use or spillage.

Induction top is somewhat fragile and expensive to replace. In the fervor of Thanksgiving prep we left an empty teakettle on a "burner". It fused to the glass top and took a chunk out when we yanked it off. Buying a floor model new range was more cost-effective than replacing the top.

Our microwave was above the range and we were always paranoid about dropping a heavy dish on the glass cook-top.

Make sure your cookware will work with induction, non-ferrous won't.

Sounds like we would be negative about induction but we would buy one again (again). Love the fast heating, great control, and easy clean-up.
We bought a Bosch. Pricey but damn it works great.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, gas was an option but we still went induction.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:58 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

You don’t see many chefs cooking over induction.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Im gas all the way, but there is also HUGE difference between an off the shelf gas and a high end one.

We have a 6 burner Fisher Paykel and it cooks like a dream. I can simmer the most delicate dish then turn around and boil or fry faster and better than any electric could dream of doing. I may have cried a little buying it but it is one of those purchases that I'm very glad I made.

I also really like to cook. And I use my cooktop for making beer which requires a lot of heat unless you want to be there all day. If you're not a serious cook amd you don't already have gas (and can't run it yourself) it may not be worth the upgrade.

If you cook as much as we do, do it.

Here she is going in. This is a 36", but you can get high end gas in 30" as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for GAS.

The only con for us is the cleanup is not as easy as the glass top electric stuff. SOme folks will say sits hard to get low enough heat for some things, but a simple iron trivet under the pot/pan will cut the temp right down.

Nothing better than cooking StirFry on a gas stove after doing it on an electric for years.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my gas range. I hate cleaning it. I will never go back.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a gas range, and love it. Plus you can still cook when the power goes out. I just wish we had a better hood above instead of a microwave vent combo.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Kgbsucka wrote:
Im gas all the way, but there is also HUGE difference between an off the shelf gas and a high end one.

We have a 6 burner Fisher Paykel and it cooks like a dream. I can simmer the most delicate dish then turn around and boil or fry faster and better than any electric could dream of doing. I may have cried a little buying it but it is one of those purchases that I'm very glad I made.

I also really like to cook. And I use my cooktop for making beer which requires a lot of heat unless you want to be there all day. If you're not a serious cook amd you don't already have gas (and can't run it yourself) it may not be worth the upgrade.

Here she is going in. This is a 36", but you can get high end gas in 30" as well.

Damn dude, nice kitchen! I really like that basket weave backsplash!

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:46 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sinus211 wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:

Damn dude, nice kitchen! I really like that basket weave backsplash!

Ha thanks.

I wanted a Ferrari and she wanted a kitchen. You can see how far I got with that one....

Here it is done

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I would have taken the kitchen too.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought a glass top would be awesome, but I hate it. I would take gas. I also have single pan stand alone induction cooker.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]