Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Eating on the cheap 

How did it smell? Like boob sweat?

But seriously, the biggest issue is KNOWING a deal when its staring you in the face and being able to use/store it. I've run into this so many times... I missed hormel cure 81 hams at $0.37/# just because I had no where to store it. Grab it when its cheap and deal with it accordingly. The chicken I grabbed yesterday says to use or freeze by the 7th - got time on that....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:32 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Selador wrote:
Boneless skinless...

For decades people told me I was wasting my money on those.

Finally I decided to put it to the test.

Bought two whole chickens. Really cheap!

Cooked them. Removed the bones. Removed the skin....

Weighed what I had left.

Cost almost twice as much per pound as the boneless skinless I always bought from costco.

Not 'really' a true comparison.... factoring in the backbone, breastbone and wings that are mostly bone anyways. Compare breast to b/s breast is more realistic and fair.

And for the record I still think thighs are the best value bone to meat there is the least skin to meat there is. I still trim off excessive skin when I get them 'just because healthier', but mainly to minimize flair ups. Comparing thighs to b/s thighs - the skin and bone really does add quite a bit of flavor and preserve the moisture when cooking. And thighs are just so much easier to cook. And season as well.

Edit to add --- I used to be a b/s breast guy, but wasn't always happy with the outcomes. Granted this is long before I discovered rubs and learned how to really season them.... they usually ended up in alfredo sauce or breaded and baked. I do plan on trying some full breasts on the grill soon when I see them on sale, but I'm perfectly happy with thighs for now. BTW - Freddy's has FF thighs and legs for $1/# right now and breasts for $1.50.

I've had the same experience as Selador - I bought breasts for around 50 cents less than boneless/skinless. By the time I trimmed them up I had 2 boneless/skinless breasts that cost more than just buying them would have. There is a lot of weight in bone on those.

I usually pay about $2/pound for boneless skinless breasts at Costco or the local stores. I have no idea where you guys are paying $1/pound. I haven't seen that in ages, unless you're talking drumsticks or something bone-in then ya.

Ground Turkey usually runs around $3/pound, or at least thats what I try to pay. We use a lot of that too. I often see it for closer to $5.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Selador wrote:
Boneless skinless...

For decades people told me I was wasting my money on those.

Finally I decided to put it to the test.

Bought two whole chickens. Really cheap!

Cooked them. Removed the bones. Removed the skin....

Weighed what I had left.

Cost almost twice as much per pound as the boneless skinless I always bought from costco.

Not 'really' a true comparison.... factoring in the backbone, breastbone and wings that are mostly bone anyways. Compare breast to b/s breast is more realistic and fair.

And for the record I still think thighs are the best value bone to meat there is the least skin to meat there is. I still trim off excessive skin when I get them 'just because healthier', but mainly to minimize flair ups. Comparing thighs to b/s thighs - the skin and bone really does add quite a bit of flavor and preserve the moisture when cooking. And thighs are just so much easier to cook. And season as well.

Edit to add --- I used to be a b/s breast guy, but wasn't always happy with the outcomes. Granted this is long before I discovered rubs and learned how to really season them.... they usually ended up in alfredo sauce or breaded and baked. I do plan on trying some full breasts on the grill soon when I see them on sale, but I'm perfectly happy with thighs for now. BTW - Freddy's has FF thighs and legs for $1/# right now and breasts for $1.50.

I've had the same experience as Selador - I bought breasts for around 50 cents less than boneless/skinless. By the time I trimmed them up I had 2 boneless/skinless breasts that cost more than just buying them would have. There is a lot of weight in bone on those.

I usually pay about $2/pound for boneless skinless breasts at Costco or the local stores. I have no idea where you guys are paying $1/pound. I haven't seen that in ages, unless you're talking drumsticks or something bone-in then ya.

Ground Turkey usually runs around $3/pound, or at least thats what I try to pay. We use a lot of that too. I often see it for closer to $5.

Boneless/skinless chicken titty is $1.50-1.99/lb reg price every day at the Olympia Target grocery dept. On sale it drops to 79-99 cents/lb on occasion.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hate to say it but you costco only folks are missing out on a world of GOODNESS.

Costco is OK for some things, but I am never impressed when I go there for food items.

The prices are usually ok but not always that great. My local podunk grocery store usually beats them in price and quality on meats.

There is a world outside of costco and safeway!!

Lateley I have been buying Aidells at grocery outlet for $2.50. Thats half or better off from the other places.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am

Old Growth wrote:
Lateley I have been buying Aidells at grocery outlet for $2.50. Thats half or better off from the other places.

I have scored so many good deals at Grocery Outlet.... bacon for $1-1.50/#(brand names), Johnsonville brats for $1/pack, Hillshire keilbasas for $1, Kakuna cheese balls for $1.50 --- all screaming deals. The last 'good' one was Ocean Spray cranberries - 4 cans for $1 last Oct - loaded up several times for more than a dozen in the pantry - think I'm down to nine now.

Sadly, there just doesn't seem to be that many deals to be found there lately.... not sure if its just a seasonal low or what. I did score family size packs of Chips Ahoy for a buck a couple of weeks ago - hard to say no, but wasn't the best thing for the belly.... the family packs only last 3 nights with just me working on them.... not good....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:16 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Old Growth wrote:
Hate to say it but you costco only folks are missing out on a world of GOODNESS.

Costco is OK for some things, but I am never impressed when I go there for food items.

The prices are usually ok but not always that great. My local podunk grocery store usually beats them in price and quality on meats.

There is a world outside of costco and safeway!!

We buy staples at Costco. We can never finish a gallon of ketchup or many of the other giant packages of junk. Same goes for most of the frozen pre made food - it takes a year to eat it so we don't buy that stuff.

We do buy a lot of dry type goods. Some stuff that I get there is literally HALF of grocery stores. Olive oil comes to mind, as does vanilla and cinnamon sticks. And don't forget those $4 rotisserie chickens. We also get rice, Paper goods, dog food etc there in bulk. I keep a lot of those items on hand in case of an emergency.

I agree meat is hit and miss. Briskets are half as much at cash n carry as Costco. Ribs are good at costco, and we get chicken/turkey but its about the same at local stores.

For us, its convenience. We have Costco, Albertsons, Safeway and Fred Meyer. We rarely go to Albertsons but do the other 3 regularly.

My time is worth something to me. I hate shopping, unless it is for toys or tools or cars. I would rather get in and out of one or two places rather than hit every damn store in town to get their chicken at $1.50 vs $1.99.

I'm frugal and I do buy store brands and pay attention but I'm not going to drive 10 miles out of my way to save $10. I will spend half of that in gas and wear and tear on my rig, plus tolls if I go to Tacoma.
Just my .02

Back to chicken, Costco also has theirs packed in a way that I can toss it in the freezer after cutting it apart and pull out 2 breasts at a time as I need them. I dont have to repackage it nor pay for ziplocks/sealed bags/whatever so I will pay for that time saving convenience.

In my opinion the best way to save money on food is to buy only what you need. Create a menu and buy the ingredients instead of a cart full of misc junk that goes bad and you throw away. $1 per pound chicken in the trash is still a bad buy!

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:44 am

With Celiac disease I just keep my meals simple. I go to Grocery Outlet and buy what I can and visit the rest of the stuff. I have found that is more economical to purchase skinless boneless chicken. When I see meat on sale I get it and put it in the freezer. I will eat the same meal for three or four days or having sandwiches for a day if I get board. I see no reason for one of those silly new pots for soup as the adgustable temp crock pot I have had for a deckade works for slow cooking of deep frying. I make my soups from scratch. . My mom drops off odd ball gluten free stuff as she shops all over town

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freddies has all 12packs of name brand soda (all the different coke or pepsi etc brands) For 4 for $10 right now.

$2.50 each is cheap.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:10 am

If you haven't realized it yet, I'm sure most have.... Safeway, QFC and Freddy's will give you a 'preview' of next weeks ads on Tuesdays online instead of waiting for the ads in the mail in the afternoon (maybe) --- that lets you know whether you should run down there Tuesday to grab a deal before its gone, or wait until Wednesday to pick up a better deal. Tuesday is tipping day for me when I'm running low on staples like milk and eggs (like I am now), but it is also the time when I rough out a plan for food for the rest of the week or plan around a shortage til the following week.
Sadly, I didn't see anything to get excited over today....

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3