Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mid-range brandy, bourbon? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote="cmica"]oregonliquorsearch.com/servlet/FrontController?view=global&action=search&radiusSearchParam=10&productSearchParam=jim+m+beam&locationSearchParam=rainier&btnSearch=Search[/quote

I'm seeing $17-18 per fifth in Oregon.
This beam case deal is 2.91 after tax per 200ml bottle, which makes it equivalent to buying a fifth for under $11 out the door.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would seem like it should be cheaper in larger bottles, but that's a damn good deal. And the math checks out, a fifth is 757 ml, so working the math forward, that's $10.01 / fifth. Dirt cheap.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've asked a few times when buying cases and they say they just buy in bulk. I've bought about a dozen of these for myself and pops over the last 6 months. One guy working there said he bought a pallet of cases!

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
oregonliquorsearch.com/servlet/FrontController?view=global&action=search&radiusSearchParam=10&productSearchParam=jim+m+beam&locationSearchParam=rainier&btnSearch=Search

Thanks. So ... $18 for a fifth (750 ml).

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry but Jim Beam is the cheap stuff. Personally I find it green/young tasting. Mid range is going to get you in the area of Larceny ($26ish), Weller SR ($38ish) 4 Roses Small Batch ($40ish) Evan Williams Single Barrel ($38ish) Makers 46 (Seen at Costco every now and then for ($40ish) and even Bulleit can be had for $30ish.
Just my opinion but I have a few different bourbons (65+)

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:06 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Damn! I KNEW ya’all would have the answers! And wow! Some of your liquor cabinets are to die for!

Thanks for the help. Headed to Costco tomorrow armed with some excellent recommendations!

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Sorry but Jim Beam is the cheap stuff. Personally I find it green/young tasting. Mid range is going to get you in the area of Larceny ($26ish), Weller SR ($38ish) 4 Roses Small Batch ($40ish) Evan Williams Single Barrel ($38ish) Makers 46 (Seen at Costco every now and then for ($40ish) and even Bulleit can be had for $30ish.

A man who appreciates liquor. A drunk wouldn't be able to keep that much on hand, he'd just drink it all in a hurry.

I like Makers 46 and Bulleit, but admit to liking the Kirkland label stuff, which is probably just relabeled Buffalo Trace. https://louisvillefuture.com/archived-n ... ay-costco/

What variety of cherry are you using? Bing? In my head these would be excellent with some bourbon flavor.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 am

Classic wrote:

Nice collection!

When I "church it up" from Beam I'll get some Knob Creek. I have not tried Bulleit though.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:27 am

Originally from Kentucky, grew up drinking burbon.

My go to:

Inexpensive is Evan Williams. A surprising good smooth burbon at a great price.

Mid range: One of three, Woodford, Buffalo Trace or Buellit

Upper end: Usually out of my affordibility range

My votes are for Evan Willams or Woodford Reserve.

Jim Beam? That's for making bourbon balls or for friends/relatives you don't really like.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
I admit I am ignorant to the differences between Bourbon and Whiskey.

If it isn't beer (10 Barrel Brewing for the win!) that I'm drinking, it's going to be Jim Beam Black, or Jim Beam Rye.

Good stuff that mixes quite well with a Coke, or pleasant enough straight-up on the rocks.
Every bourbon is a whiskey. Not every whisk(e)y is a bourbon. Same with Scotch. They’re both whiskeys, just made from different grains and from different countries.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest Elijah Craig for the bourbon. Great price point and delicious.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 pm

One bourbon that surprised me when I was visiting with my parents a couple of years ago was Old Grand Dad 101. I don't know if it was because ma and pa had had it for the better part of 10+ years in their cabinet in the desert heat, but that was one really smooth tasty bourbon. I've been looking for it, but have only seen the 80 proof version locally.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
One bourbon that surprised me when I was visiting with my parents a couple of years ago was Old Grand Dad 101. I don't know if it was because ma and pa had had it for the better part of 10+ years in their cabinet in the desert heat, but that was one really smooth tasty bourbon. I've been looking for it, but have only seen the 80 proof version locally.
A little whiskey lore for you:

Old Grand Dad was created by Colonel Raymond B. Hayden. It was named in honor of the Colonel’s grandfather-Merideth Basil Hayden Sr. Basil Hayden was a well known and respected distiller in his lifetime. When Jim Beam began distilling Basil Hayden’s, they did their best to re-create Hayden Sr’s original bourbon recipe, which contains a high rye mash bill. The portrait on the label of Old Grand Dad is of Basil Hayden.

And while on the topic of Jim Beam bourbons, if you like Knob Creek, it is made from the exact same mash bill as the original Jim Beam White Label that everyone knows and loves (or hates. Haha). The only difference is that Knob Creek is matured for 9 years and bottled at higher proof (100-proof). Same whiskey, essentially. Just older and packs more punch.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am

Breck wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

Old Grand Dad was created by Colonel Raymond B. Hayden. It was named in honor of the Colonel’s grandfather-Merideth Basil Hayden Sr. Basil Hayden was a well known and respected distiller in his lifetime. When Jim Beam began distilling Basil Hayden’s, they did their best to re-create Hayden Sr’s original bourbon recipe, which contains a high rye mash bill. The portrait on the label of Old Grand Dad is of Basil Hayden.

And while on the topic of Jim Beam bourbons, if you like Knob Creek, it is made from the exact same mash bill as the original Jim Beam White Label that everyone knows and loves (or hates. Haha). The only difference is that Knob Creek is matured for 9 years and bottled at higher proof (100-proof). Same whiskey, essentially. Just older and packs more punch.

So it wasn't just me? It really surprised me how good it was.... I know that bottle had been around for a loooong time - opened and in the back of the liquor cabinet.... I always assumed anything with 'Old' at the beginning was crap... Old Crow and the likes...
I'm a JD#7 guy - Gentleman's Jack is what I consider top shelf now - no Beam for me - I'll take Wild Turkey over Beam any day. Got sucked into the marketing hype for JD single barrels back when they were doing them --- some were stellar, others were not.... gave up on them once they brought out the Gentleman's Jack.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Breck wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

So it wasn't just me? It really surprised me how good it was.... I know that bottle had been around for a loooong time - opened and in the back of the liquor cabinet.... I always assumed anything with 'Old' at the beginning was crap... Old Crow and the likes...
I'm a JD#7 guy - Gentleman's Jack is what I consider top shelf now - no Beam for me - I'll take Wild Turkey over Beam any day. Got sucked into the marketing hype for JD single barrels back when they were doing them --- some were stellar, others were not.... gave up on them once they brought out the Gentleman's Jack.

Drink what you like. If YOU like it, it's good.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next