Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Pork shoulder 99 cents a pound, Mukilteo QFC 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Don't know if that's a good deal or not.
My son who works there just bought a 10 pounder for $8 after his discount.
Both the kids are busy cutting it up.
Roast the top half, make bacon from the fatty bottom.
I told them to look it up online.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bone in? It's a decent price. Boneless? That's an excellent price.

Chili verde. Cook five or six green peppers into mush... cube and brown your pork... add galic and ONE finely diced potato (thickener) S&P... Optional: 5 or 6 habeneros and three or four jalapenos.

perfection and easy

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Jim said, that's a pretty good price either way. Plus it's hard to go wrong with pork.

I might have to try your recipe for chile verde in our instant pot. Do you ever use tomatillos for the green instead of peppers?

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
As Jim said, that's a pretty good price either way. Plus it's hard to go wrong with pork.

I might have to try your recipe for chile verde in our instant pot. Do you ever use tomatillos for the green instead of peppers?

Never tried that. Don't know about a total replacement, but maybe an addition? Let me know how it turns out!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Bone in? It's a decent price. Boneless? That's an excellent price.

Chili verde. Cook five or six green peppers into mush... cube and brown your pork... add galic and ONE finely diced potato (thickener) S&P... Optional: 5 or 6 habeneros and three or four jalapenos.

perfection and easy

I do this, but don't speak galic so well. But yeah green chili. The bomb.

I'll check RR QFC

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot... you prolly want to dice a white onion up and chuck it in there too.

You can get a can of salsa verdi in the Mexican food section to chuck in as a little cheat too, if you want.

FJB

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Bacon from a shoulder roast?

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Cut up pork shoulder is basically 'country ribs'.... They are meant for grillin & smokin! I picked up some boneless ones pre cut a couple of weeks ago.... Low and slow (~3 hours @ 200) with smoke (oak,pecan,apple) and dipped in apple juice every 20 minutes makes for some tasty pork!
Attachment:
20200621_190519 (Medium).jpg

They came out a perfect medium - just a touch of pink left and tender as hell --- just have to cut around the fat and gristle. Definitely a winner --- will grab more when they come around again. Full shoulders/butts are for smokin --- easier to pull the fat and connective tissue out.

Freddy's has shoulders for $1.29 this week - they were 0.99 last week - was tempted, but still have smoked pork in the freezer to work thru.... Waiting to see what kind of sales they have for the 4th next week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sinus211 wrote:
Bacon from a shoulder roast?

Sure looked like bacon.
I told them to make BBQ Pork, but neither likes it.
Package said 'Pork Butt', but the receipt said 'pork shoulder'.
Was kinda fatty.
Who knows.
I usually don't fuck around with meat that has a lot of fat and bones.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Just a heads up ---- I was going thru the store 'preview' ads this morning and QFC says they will have $0.99/# pork butts starting tomorrow.... I'm gonna grab two for the freezer for when I need more!

Gotta grab them when they are this cheap --- I haven't seen them for less than $1.79 forever --- actually have seen them $2.49+ for quite some time.... Last ones I got last fall were $1.29 and I haven't seen them that low since.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bone in for .99 cents a pound. :thumbsup2:

Limit 2

https://www.qfc.com/weeklyad?StoreCode= ... sionId=705

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:15 am

Pro tip ---- for some reason, I've seen that the two QFCs by me have a habit of cutting ALL the big butts into 1/2 or 1/3'ds and rewrapping ---- if your store is doing that, be sure to ask at the butcher block if they have full ones in the back/freezer. Never hurts to ask when you are looking for the 'right' size.... I like 7-8#ers.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]