Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Think I might finally go Pellet.... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welp, it may just about be time for me to cabe a bit. I think I am going to add another smoker to my patio.
Weber has their new pellet smoker out. The Smokefire. Has anyone seen this yet? A co worker has one and it seems pretty awesome from all the YouTube videos and reviews I've been reading.
Central smoke vents, no chimney, sear at 600*, 4 wifi probes built in, etc. Price tag is comparable to Traeger and others.

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/wood ... re-series/

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:46 am

Check out some of the youtube reviews from a bunch of the bbq guys - it sounds like there have been alot of quality issues with the first release units and there are a lot of reports of grease fires, feeding problems and uneven heat -- die hard smoker guys returning units before the home depot 90 day period. I'm really surprised that there have been so many issues from a weber that cost $1200..... I was expecting nothing but stellar reviews -- it 'looks' like it should be a killer smoker...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't seen the Weber entry specifically, but pellet is just so convenient.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Check out some of the youtube reviews from a bunch of the bbq guys - it sounds like there have been alot of quality issues with the first release units and there are a lot of reports of grease fires, feeding problems and uneven heat -- die hard smoker guys returning units before the home depot 90 day period. I'm really surprised that there have been so many issues from a weber that cost $1200..... I was expecting nothing but stellar reviews -- it 'looks' like it should be a killer smoker...

Yes. Thanks. It does appear that some of the first units definitely had some problems. From what I can tell, most all should be taken care of. Like you said, it should be a badass smoker. Hope I start hearing more good reviews before I pull the trigger.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 am

Honestly, I think the problem Weber is having with the grease fires is that they attempted to make a 600 degree smoker --- if you look at the grease ports -- right NEXT to the burn pot -- its hard to imagine it NOT catching fire if you crank it up to 600 after some greasy cooks. Do you think there is a reason why all the other smokers top out at 400-450?
Note too that it seems like Weber is having issues with software for the controller too --- that 'should' be an easy fix for them, but I haven't heard of anyone updating reviews where they had problems.

FWIW --- I've been watching some of the reviews of the Camp Chef Wood Wind unit.... that looks like a pretty cool unit! Ash dump cup for the burner and a gas fired side sear burner --- seems like a better idea for the long run, and a helluva lot cheaper too. Check it out before you pull the trigger.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What time is dinner?

Divided we fall.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you like your grill to catch fire. Go for it! Also reports of the hopper being shit as well.

RecTec with sear grates all day long.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 am
Profile WWW

Youtube has been filling my feed with smoker vlogs.... and out of curiosity, I've been watching them. This unit seems to get pretty high praises ---
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camp-Chef-W ... /303877646

Looks like a work horse. 900 degree sear? Hell ya! Give it 30 seconds....

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends. If you don't need to sear (which looks like you do, I just use one of my other grills), don't want to spend a whole lot and just want a nice smoke and forget from ~150°F-400°F+ just get a PitBoss upright for around $350. I've yet to have a complete flop and no fires either.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Dark side Kyle, Smoking is simpler on this side. Having said that, i will never abandon my offset stick burner.
You need to checkout the Camp Chef JB linked above, that's the Smoker i have.

That 900 degree side sear box is the Cat's meow. :thumbsup2: Propane fired with heavy Iron Grill Plate. Yes, it will really reach 900 degree's.
I did a bunch of research before we got mine and it was a real toss up between the Rec Tec and the camp Chef.
I ultimately went with the Camp chef and i am very happy with it.

You simply cannot get a Proper Sear at 600 degree's, plates or not...and you burn a whole bunch of pellets trying. You also can't beat the ease of Ash cleanup with the Camp Chef.
Pull a handle and Ash drops into a Cup. Twist Cup off and dump...no vacuums or nonsense.

Same way when you want to empty your Hopper to change pellet flavors. Pull a handle and they drain out back into a bag.
Holds temps really well too

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-gr ... rills.html

This is the older version without WiFi, it's the one i have. The new ones have WiFi and more probes etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK5DVt2 ... Th&index=2

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Welcome to the Dark side Kyle, Smoking is simpler on this side. Having said that, i will never abandon my offset stick burner.

That 900 degree side sear box is the Cat's meow. :thumbsup2: Propane fired with heavy Iron Grill Plate. Yes, it will really reach 900 degree's.
I did a bunch of research before we got mine and it was a real toss up between the Rec Tec and the camp Chef.

You simply cannot get a Proper Sear at 600 degree's, plates or not...and you burn a whole bunch of pellets trying. You also can't beat the ease of Ash cleanup with the Camp Chef.
Pull a handle and Ash drops into a Cup. Twist Cup off and dump...no vacuums or nonsense.

Same way when you want to empty your Hopper to change pellet flavors. Pull a handle and they drain out back into a bag.

This is the older version without WiFi, it's the one i have. The new ones have WiFi and more probes etc.

Ok, so looking they have 24 and 36. Obviously have to go big and get wifi. Whats with the difference between sidekick and sear box?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 am

Side kick is a just a burner for pots and pans, with other accessories like pizza oven and such. Sear box is a straight up gas grill - that I 'think' you can use a burner too (?).

ETA - Everything USRifle said is exactly what I've been hearing in all the reviews -- makes it worthy of checking out. To be honest, I think Weber is really just selling on their name --- $1200 is way too much for that system --- even if it works properly and flawlessly. They set their price point and never budge on pricing - just like their gas grills.

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Ok, so looking they have 24 and 36. Obviously have to go big and get wifi. Whats with the difference between sidekick and sear box?

Sear box

https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html

Side Kick

https://www.campchef.com/sidekick.html

It looks like the Sidekick comes with a Griddle and has a Circular burner, while the Sear Box has burners that cover all areas of the Iron grate and will get much hotter.

Seems Like the sidekick is more for grilling and such. At least that's my take on it.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Side kick is a just a burner for pots and pans, with other accessories like pizza oven and such. Sear box is a straight up gas grill - that I 'think' you can use a burner too (?).

You could use the Sear box as a burner, it is entirely adjustable for temp.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya, can't figure out how to find a wifi 36 with the sear box. Otherwise I an liking what I'm seeing of that Camp Chef.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next