Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cucumber sauce 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know of a simple cucumber sauce?

I just want cucumber. No dill, no 'hot', no garlic, nothing else. Just the cucumber.

Is there any such a creature?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

I just want cucumber. No dill, no 'hot', no garlic, nothing else. Just the cucumber.

No yogurt? Not tzatziki? Not India style?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. Eat them plain if you want to taste em? Purée cucumbers to dip your cucumbers in??

Gochujang is my go to. When I have people over who don’t eat Korean/Spicy food I add extra sugar.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Selador wrote:

No yogurt? Not tzatziki? Not India style?

Yogurt makes sense.

But I am looking for something that doesn't include spices.

I'm kind of leaning toward making my own when the time is right. Peel the cucumber. Puree what's left, mix with plain yogurt.

Wonder how long that would 'keep' in the fridge? Also wonder if it could be frozen.

wilmermj wrote:
Hmmm. Eat them plain if you want to taste em? Purée cucumbers to dip your cucumbers in??

Gochujang is my go to. When I have people over who don’t eat Korean/Spicy food I add extra sugar.

I actually like spicy foods.

I just don't want to HAVE to have it spicy, if I want plain old cucumber taste.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yogurt + garlic

Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
yogurt + garlic

I don't want cucumber garlic sauce. If I did, I would have said cucumber garlic sauce. And I wouldn't have made the point already that I don't want garlic in it.

Aside from that, if I wanted garlic and other stuff in it, I'd just buy tzchatchi sauce, or however you spell it.

Now how's that for a chewing out about not reading before you reply? :ROFLMAO:

:bigsmile:

In fact, I just might actually look for some of that tzchatchi sauce... :bigsmile:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what's your policy on lemon juice?

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
what's your policy on lemon juice?

:ROFLMAO:

I have a zero tolerance policy on lemon juice in my cucumber sauce. :bigsmile:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
Sir, what's your policy on lemon juice, sir?

Fixed that for you. :bigsmile:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.food.com/recipe/cucumber-sauce-492963
Just leave out the garlic?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cucumber-sauce-492963
Just leave out the garlic?

And the parsley and mint. :bigsmile:

It's already obvious I am going to have to make my own.

I was just hoping there was some I could buy. But everything available has all these other things in it.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am beginning to think "cucumber sauce" is just a euphemism for something else.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
I am beginning to think "cucumber sauce" is just a euphemism for something else.

Aaaaand here start the usual projections. :ROFLMAO:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine folks down at ChefSteps in Seattle made a Cucumber Caviar which is a spreadable topping made nothing but cucumber, juice and xanthan gum.

It looks like this.

Here is the instructions.

Quote:
Prepare Cucumber “Risotto”

Follow the steps below to make Cucumber Risotto.
Peel and core garden cucumber; make cucumber juice

1 Garden cucumbers

Using a peeler, remove and discard the skin from the cucumber.

Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, remove the seeds and pulp. Press the juice from the seeds using a sieve and a wooden spoon. Reserve the liquid.
Mince

In a Robot Coupe, gently pulse the cucumber to chop into uniformly small pieces. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the pitcher often to incorporate all the stray pieces. You want to end up with pieces roughly the size of finely minced shallot.

NOTE: If you don’t have access to a Robot Coupe, you can use a knife—it just takes time and gets a little messy. And hey, if for some reason you don’t have a knife, you can use a cheese grater! Get creative, people!
Combine cucumber juice and xanthan gum in a small pot

0.3 gXanthan gum

Transfer the minced cucumber to a small pot and add the juice. Lightly dust xanthan gum over the cucumber mix. (Be careful not to dump the powder in too quickly; sprinkling gently helps avoid clumps.)

NOTE: We add xanthan to thicken the risotto, giving it the body and creaminess of the real thing without weighing it down with dairy.
Bring to a boil and reduce; chill; store

Over high heat, bring the cucumbers to a boil, whisking constantly. Working quickly, reduce the juice until the liquid slightly thickens and the texture resembles that of risotto. This should happen within two minutes. Quickly transfer the cucumber to a bowl over ice and chill completely.

NOTE: We cook the cucumber in part to destroy enzymes that would dull the color. It’s important to cook it for a sufficient amount of time—if you undercook, you can encourage enzyme activity, making matters worse.

Cucumber Risotto is best enjoyed within a day and should be reserved in the refrigerator.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
Fine folks down at ChefSteps in Seattle made a Cucumber Caviar which is a spreadable topping made nothing but cucumber, juice and xanthan gum.

It looks like this.

Here is the instructions.

Quote:
Prepare Cucumber “Risotto”

Follow the steps below to make Cucumber Risotto.
Peel and core garden cucumber; make cucumber juice

1 Garden cucumbers

Using a peeler, remove and discard the skin from the cucumber.

Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, remove the seeds and pulp. Press the juice from the seeds using a sieve and a wooden spoon. Reserve the liquid.
Mince

In a Robot Coupe, gently pulse the cucumber to chop into uniformly small pieces. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the pitcher often to incorporate all the stray pieces. You want to end up with pieces roughly the size of finely minced shallot.

NOTE: If you don’t have access to a Robot Coupe, you can use a knife—it just takes time and gets a little messy. And hey, if for some reason you don’t have a knife, you can use a cheese grater! Get creative, people!
Combine cucumber juice and xanthan gum in a small pot

0.3 gXanthan gum

Transfer the minced cucumber to a small pot and add the juice. Lightly dust xanthan gum over the cucumber mix. (Be careful not to dump the powder in too quickly; sprinkling gently helps avoid clumps.)

NOTE: We add xanthan to thicken the risotto, giving it the body and creaminess of the real thing without weighing it down with dairy.
Bring to a boil and reduce; chill; store

Over high heat, bring the cucumbers to a boil, whisking constantly. Working quickly, reduce the juice until the liquid slightly thickens and the texture resembles that of risotto. This should happen within two minutes. Quickly transfer the cucumber to a bowl over ice and chill completely.

NOTE: We cook the cucumber in part to destroy enzymes that would dull the color. It’s important to cook it for a sufficient amount of time—if you undercook, you can encourage enzyme activity, making matters worse.

Cucumber Risotto is best enjoyed within a day and should be reserved in the refrigerator.

More complicated than I plan to do. But thank you. :bigsmile:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next