Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Smoking Turkey for the Holidays 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Only seasoning I used was some good southern dry rub my buddy made; he won't tell me what's in it and he moved so I can't get more, but it's really good stuff and I need to find more of something similar.
This thread reminds me I should have used the old Weber that's sitting right next to the big charcoal grill. Duh.

I would bet it is something like this one....
https://www.thespruceeats.com/magic-dus ... rub-335886
I'm starting to branch out into different rubs/dry brines right now.... I need to pick up some cumin and mustard that can easily be added to the Memphis rub that I'm currently using --- it seems like all the 'better' rub recipes call for them... I'm a big believer in that a rub should have sugar in it - so many people say 'no sugar, it will burn' but I have never found that to be a problem. The sugar helps offset the salt if you are dry brining (especially for long times) or if you go too heavy with it.

It might be similar, not sure. His is a lot darker/deeper red than that. He was a Mississippi & Memphis boy like myself so he knew what it should taste like, and made up his own recipe accordingly.

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 pm

So... not to brag (too much), but I just thought I should say this.... I just finished up my turkey breast last night except for a couple small bits.... It amazed me to think that I got thru that whole turkey breast by myself WITHOUT putting ANY gravy on the turkey - except for one open faced sammy that I felt bad about, but still enjoyed! The seasoning in the meat and the depth of smoke was awesome, and it maintained moisture the whole time - simple microwaving on power level 2 for 2 minutes at a time until warm and I enjoyed perfect turkey - I can't even remember having turkey this good.... anywhere. I was thinking back and realized that turkey never made it past 3 or 4 meals before having to coat it with gravy to cover up the bland dry meat.... This one was tasty and enjoyable the whole way thru! Instead of thinking 'thank god its finally gone' when it was finished, all I can think is 'I want MORE dammit' and that I didn't get nearly enuff turkey sammys out of it!

I'm SOOOOO looking forward to doing another one or even a full bird if a nice small one pops up. I will prep/smoke the exact same way I did this one without hesitation.

I also decided to make up a batch of gravy from the broth from the carcass - I'm not a soup guy - and it turned out pretty tasty --- nice smoky flavored gravy. I'm sure soup would 've been just as tasty too. All out of turkey now, but plenty of potatoes to use it on.... I'm planning hash browns with fried eggs coated in gravy for breakfasts.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4